Chicago Recap - Wish I could add more...

Evergrey

Ambassador
Jul 27, 2003
Chicago, IL
I can't even begin to describe how ticked I am at "The Metro", the venue of the Evergrey, IE, COB concert in Chicago this evening. I busted my a$$ and squeezed my way out of work early to make sure that I had enough time to make it home and to the concert in time......

Left work at 4:45 PM... sat in Freaking Chicago traffic and didn't get home until 6PM. Got ready in 10 minutes (including downing 3 beers and changing) and got to the show at 6:20. I was so freaking pumped up about the show (only 2 blocks from my house). The start time on both my ticket and every website known to creation was 6:30PM...

Well walked into the concert and heard then end of "Touch of Blessing" being played. I sprinted up the stairs and was feeling great b/c I figured they started out with the song. The next song up was Masterplan and I was freaking pumped..... then the bad news....

Evergrey was done with the set. The STUPID FREAKING "Metro Theater" (A$$F%ckers) in Chicago decided to start the concert 45 mins early without telling anyone. So basically anyone who showed up on time to see Evergrey got screwed. Talked to the band afterward and they felt aweful and had no control over the situation. I ran into at least 25 pissed Evergrey fans who had the EXACT some thing happen to them (showed up on time to hear the last song). Regardless, I had a good time after I drained a few/many beers. Met up with the Evergrey guys for a beer. (BTW - Am_Ash, Henrik showed me the necklace you gave him, he says hi). I talked to a guy who was there for the whole set and Evergrey played six songs. From what I remember (I was pretty hammered by that point) they played most of the songs I posted on the Cleveland show setlist.

As for IE, they played a great set. A LOT of old tunes. In my opinion, the Ripper did very good. I kept thinking in the back of my head though how it would have sounded with Barlow. Oh well, I'm going to hit the sack. If you hear of the Metro burning to the gound in the next few days you know who started the fire.... jk!

I was at the Metro show last night as well.
I REALLY feel bad for you my friend.
Luckily for me, I got to the Metro around 5:45, and they were already letting in. The doors were supposed to open at 6, instead EG started at six.

This is most likely due to the fact that all ages shows in Chicago have to end by 10, and Iced Earth played 2 hours.

I have to be honest, this was my first time hearing Evergrey aside from seeing a couple videos. I was VERY impressed!

I am planning on getting a couple. The standout tracks to me were the Masterplan and a couple from their new one (Ever and Ever I think was the title of one of them).

I am mixed on how Ripper did on the old material. His range is a little too high, esp for the slower songs. Overall though, still an amazing performance!

Evergrey said:
I can't even begin to describe how ticked I am at "The Metro", the venue of the Evergrey, IE, COB concert in Chicago this evening. I busted my a$$ and squeezed my way out of work early to make sure that I had enough time to make it home and to the concert in time......

Left work at 4:45 PM... sat in Freaking Chicago traffic and didn't get home until 6PM. Got ready in 10 minutes (including downing 3 beers and changing) and got to the show at 6:20. I was so freaking pumped up about the show (only 2 blocks from my house). The start time on both my ticket and every website known to creation was 6:30PM...

Well walked into the concert and heard then end of "Touch of Blessing" being played. I sprinted up the stairs and was feeling great b/c I figured they started out with the song. The next song up was Masterplan and I was freaking pumped..... then the bad news....

Evergrey was done with the set. The STUPID FREAKING "Metro Theater" (A$$F%ckers) in Chicago decided to start the concert 45 mins early without telling anyone. So basically anyone who showed up on time to see Evergrey got screwed. Talked to the band afterward and they felt aweful and had no control over the situation. I ran into at least 25 pissed Evergrey fans who had the EXACT some thing happen to them (showed up on time to hear the last song). Regardless, I had a good time after I drained a few/many beers. Met up with the Evergrey guys for a beer. (BTW - Am_Ash, Henrik showed me the necklace you gave him, he says hi). I talked to a guy who was there for the whole set and Evergrey played six songs. From what I remember (I was pretty hammered by that point) they played most of the songs I posted on the Cleveland show setlist.

As for IE, they played a great set. A LOT of old tunes. In my opinion, the Ripper did very good. I kept thinking in the back of my head though how it would have sounded with Barlow. Oh well, I'm going to hit the sack. If you hear of the Metro burning to the gound in the next few days you know who started the fire.... jk!
I am sure you were pissed as I would be myself! And I know how big a fan you are (not as big as me though- LOL)!
So Jonas never got his necklace back, did he? I bought that for him but Henrick decided he liked it and Jonas wasn't around so....Now I have to get something else for him for the Toronto show~ Yeah, we made up our minds (again) that we were definitely going no matter what. Who needs sleep? It's only a 3-hour drive as opposed to your 5-hour journey. Let's just hope they don't screw Evergrey up there because they won't want to deal with me- I can be one mean bitch when I'm pissed! (Right Brian?!!)

Anybody who was in this situation should email the metro and complain:

metro@metrochicago.com

Their website advertises 6pm doors and 6:30 show time. I got there at about 6:20 to find that Evergrey had just finished playing. I'm probably going to bitch to ticketmaster about it as well even though they have very little to do with when bands take the stage. Regardless it's crap, I talked to a good amount of people last night who missed Evergrey because of this.

AntonioX, thanks for the e-mail address. I am writing a good one as we speak. I'm sorry to hear you were in the same boat as me (missing the show).

Evergrey said:
AntonioX, thanks for the e-mail address. I am writing a good one as we speak. I'm sorry to hear you were in the same boat as me (missing the show).
My friend Lori said she saw you last night talking to Henrik. She's really ticked off too so I'll forward the e-mail address onward... won't they be surprised??

I wouldn't bother with Ticketmaster.
They have nothing to do with the advertised start time.
That comes directly from the promoters.
For the Metro, that would be Miller Lite and the Metro.

To be honest, if you think about it, it really isn't the Metro's fault.

ALL all-ages Metro shows are 6:30 to 10.
Iced Earth played a 2 hour set, which is about a half-hour longer than most headliners at a club show.

I am sure it was a last minute change that the Metro didn't know until sound check that day.

I know it sucks. The Metro is 99% dead on with their time schedules.

It is the House of Blues that dicks everyone over all the time.
They sometimes have the openers begin just as they are opening the doors.

Well what can i say that has not been said....i saw masterplan that is it...the only positive of lastnight was getting the new album and Chillen at the bar with my Evergrey/Ion people and Henrik. So very pissed...My friends drove up from Eastern/Charleston just for the grey but funk Ticketmaster or who ever funked this up!

FYI - the Metro forwarded my complaint to the promoter who just emailed me. Pretty cool of him to take the time to do that. He explained everything and why they had to go on so early.

AntonioX said:
FYI - the Metro forwarded my complaint to the promoter who just emailed me. Pretty cool of him to take the time to do that. He explained everything and why they had to go on so early.

So put it up here then!!!

Just to echo the sentiments of the rest, I missed the 'grey, too, and was all sortsa pissed. Fortunately, AntonioX and I are heading to Milwaukee on Friday.

Evergrey on my birthday will be some consolation, I reckon. Anyone get a chance to check out the merch @ any of the current shows? How's the selection as far as EG stuff? I've got money to burn and an EG habit to feed ;)

- R

peza said:
So put it up here then!!!

The Metro forwarded your e-mail to me. Let me explain what
> happened. The City of Chicago requires us to adhere to a strict 10pm
> curfew on all ages shows during the week. Normally on a 3 act show, a
> 6:30 start time gives us plenty of time to have all 3 bands complete
> their sets by 10pm. Yesterday, however, Iced Earth informed us that
> their set would be in excess of two hours meaning that they could
> start no later than 8pm. When we factored in times for set changes,
> it was determined that we needed to start Evergrey at 6pm in order to
> have all 3 bands play their sets. We got doors open as quickly as
> possible as soon as the three bands had completed soundcheck. We
> never start a show earlier than advertised unless it's absolutely
> necessary as was the case last night.

maybe if people read the tickets, it says that time is subject to change, thats why you should always come extra early.

rhoads said:
maybe if people read the tickets, it says that time is subject to change, thats why you should always come extra early.

Hit me when I'm down! No, seriously I know they do put that on the ticket. In this case I had no way to get their early b/c of work. I did all I could. Someone screwed up though. This concert has been scheduled for months. The line-up has not changed. I assume the 10PM curfew law is most likely not new so the Metro/Promoter should have cleared with the bands how long their sets were going to be. Maybe this is Iced Earth's fault in terms of not telling the correct length of their set, or maybe the promoters for not relaying the correct set times in advance. Partially my fault for showing up to the concert 10 minutes early instead of 2 hours. Oh well, can't change anything now though.

am_ash2 said:
My friend Lori said she saw you last night talking to Henrik. She's really ticked off too so I'll forward the e-mail address onward... won't they be surprised??

That's cool, I totally recognized her from the pic you sent. She was standing right next to Ion Vein (who I had NO CLUE was there until the guy passed me a Ion Vein flyer). I felt like an idiot.

I too missed all but the last few minutes of the set due to the people at the Metro being idiots, however I had a great time and all of the guys signed my CD. Tom, Jonas, Rikard, Henrik & Michael were all very nice guys. I also met Arnold who was very nice as well. I love the new CD. Keep Rocking Guys! All the best!

I had the same fuckin' thing happen for me when Fates Warning played on the DT/QR tour last summer down there. Missed their whole set because it started early.

I wanted to see them so bad. Even traveled down from WI for them. Fuck if I will ever do that again. Not worth the damn traffic and headaches:yell:

DRFS Rich said:
Just to echo the sentiments of the rest, I missed the 'grey, too, and was all sortsa pissed. Fortunately, AntonioX and I are heading to Milwaukee on Friday.

Evergrey on my birthday will be some consolation, I reckon. Anyone get a chance to check out the merch @ any of the current shows? How's the selection as far as EG stuff? I've got money to burn and an EG habit to feed ;)

- R

well, at the cleveland show, they had 2 new shirts, i got one with the inner circle album cover on the front and the bloody bible and the tour dates on the back. they also had one with the evergrey logo written in flames and said i am my own god god walking earth.

The shirts sound cool.

Regarding missed gigs,
I don't know what surprises me the most: The silly 10 pm curfew (jolly jumper on the moon, never heard of such a wanker thing, europe totally rules) or the fact that IE just kind of 'we play for two hours and sod the rest' atitude. Either way it sucks. And most of all it's sad, either way.