Children of Bodom is Power Metal

i was just making fun of people with usernames like ChrissyOfBodom who go around saying "oh yeah i like melodic death metal like children of bodom"

Zephyrus said:
People who like CoB enjoy power metal music but hate power metal vocals, it's that simple.
not true i love cob and i love power metal and i love power metal vocals

Dodens Grav said:
Melodic Death Metal is bands like Arghoslent.

Melodeath, which is not Death Metal in any sense, is bands like In Flames. They merely have harsh vocals and an occasional blast beat instead of Death Metal composition. It's Iron Maiden with a screeching cat on vocals.

Score one for Dodens

i dont understand why they get so much hate...probably because a lot of people like them...anyone to say their not talented doesnt know anything about alexi laiho

^^^^
wow this guy is my idol....hes just sooooooooo fucking cool over the internet

DemonHelm said:
I don't claim to be an expert on genres and I think you may have a valid argument. I am not trying to butt heads here but what makes Grave Digger's later works accepted as power metal? Instrumentally they don't sound to me like they have changed much.

I'm not really sure what they're "accepted" as, but I know personally that only the most recent album leans more to the Power Metal side. Rheingold, The Grave Digger, Excalibur, etc., are pretty much paradigm examples of Speed Metal.

Dodens Grav said:
I'm not really sure what they're "accepted" as, but I know personally that only the most recent album leans more to the Power Metal side. Rheingold, The Grave Digger, Excalibur, etc., are pretty much paradigm examples of Speed Metal.

Fair enough. I have not heard the latest but as far as I have always known, Excalibur era albums have always been recommended power metal in reviews I read and by multitudes of power metal heads (although I agree that instrumentally they are speed metal). But seriously, it was the epic vocal choruses that allow even these albums get labled as such.

And actually, the only CoB album I think that really sounds power metal (instrumentally) is Follow The Reaper. I still maintain that power metal has a certain vocal style that others do not, not just in the delivery but also in the melodic composition. While it doesn't make the genre by any means, it is one of it's important elements.

I just can't get into the CoB argument though because it lacks the epic vocal style (and composition). If I put out an ad for a power metal vocalist and someone came in barking like Alexi or if someone named Alexi as their favorite power metal vocalist, I would laugh them out of the place (no offense against Alexi).

I'm done splitting hairs now though and I guess I don't really care THAT much.

DemonHelm said:
If I put out an ad for a power metal vocalist and someone came in barking like Alexi or if someone named Alexi as their favorite power metal vocalist, I would laugh them out of the place (no offense against Alexi).

Just because Alexi Laiho write Power Metal riffs doesn't mean he uses Power Metal vocals.

goddamn bullshit is what they are. listen to real metal, not this pseudo power wannabe semi-thrash rock star "metal"

might as well listen to fucking KISS

DemonHelm said:
Cool. But is it not the vocal arrangments that allow them to be classified as such? Otherwise they are just classic/speed.

Bands like Iced Earth, Persuader, and Blind Guardian would never have been labeled power without the vocal arrangements.

I disagree, but I can see why you chose those groups because they don't play stereotyped powermetal styles.

None of those groups have typical power metal vocalists Hansi Kursch especially early in his career (but outside of the speed metal days, even in parts of NIME) isn't your stereotype of a powermetal vocalist.

Iced earth have had a lot of vocalists over the years Tim Owens is fairly power metalish but I don't think any of the other vocalists are the stereotype of power metal either (Maybe Matt Barlow).

and Jens Carlsson is basically Hansi Kursch (I mean seriously.... he sounds almost the fucking same)

If I wrote a jazz song on the guitar and did growling vocals over the top it would still be jazz would it not.

petehis kahn said:
I disagree, but I can see why you chose those groups because they don't play stereotyped powermetal styles.

None of those groups have typical power metal vocalists Hansi Kursch especially early in his career (but outside of the speed metal days, even in parts of NIME) isn't your stereotype of a powermetal vocalist.

Iced earth have had a lot of vocalists over the years Tim Owens is fairly power metalish but I don't think any of the other vocalists are the stereotype of power metal either (Maybe Matt Barlow).

and Jens Carlsson is basically Hansi Kursch (I mean seriously.... he sounds almost the fucking same)

If I wrote a jazz song on the guitar and did growling vocals over the top it would still be jazz would it not.

Hey man, I said I was done. :)

I can see both sides of this argument. Really. I suppose you would have to ask a jazz enthusiast that question as I am not into jazz at all. Is the vocalist still falling within the guidelines of a jazz composition or are there even any as it pertains to vocals? My main point is that power metal does have such guidelines and that what we refer to as "power metal vocals" is actually a staple of the power metal genre.

The above mentioned vocalists may not be the stereotypical power metal vocalists, but they fit the criteria in the way they sing and the vocal compositions they use. I also used those examples because musically they are very borderline or fall closer into other categories (though BG's later works are much more power metal instrumentally). Otherwise it's the vocals that throw them over the line into power/thrash or power/speed or what most people just go ahead and refer to them as: power metal. If we are strictly categorizing by the instrumentation with no reference to vocals, then many bands that are generally accepted as power metal, should not be.

I also realize I am splitting hairs here. Yes, some of CoB's music is power metal, instrumentally speaking. Describing them as power metal with harsh vocals (well that sounds kind of like Jens Carlsson) might be fair. I personally just can't accept them on a list of power metal bands saying "yes, THIS is power metal." They just don't belong with the others. Just my opinion of course.

I think CoB was quite original in their style. There are a lot of unsigned bands out now that are heavily influenced by CoB. Will they have to constantly bear the tag "...with harsh vocals" or will they be assimilated into the genre as well? I think there is a reason why a lot of power metal fans dislike CoB and why a lot of CoB fans dislike the entire genre of power metal.

[Edit: spelling]

There is no way CoB are power metal. They have power metal elements, but in their early albums they combined these with black and thrash metal.

I love Children of Bodom but I do not hate power metal. You are a fool.