Classics you've missed

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As much as we all like to showboat our metal knowledge and just how much more underground we are than the next Ragnarokkr board poster, you just can't hear every album by every band. What genre 'classics' have you just not heard yet?

For me, the biggest omission is probably CARCASS. I have heard and love Heartwork and Necroticism, but my sweet ears still haven't been graced by Reek of Putrefaction or Symphonies of Sickness. Just a song or two here and there.

I'd never heard a full Cannibal Corpse record until a month ago. Ditto on Suicidal Tendencies.

Most Black Sabbath albums
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla (I haven't listened to Point of Entry or Turbo either, are those classics?)
All Carcass except Heartwork

Tons of others I can't think of right now.

I'v heard songs here and there, but I have yet to really listen to Angra. I also have only listened to maybe a couple of Stratovarius albums. Another one for me would be Bathory.

For me, the biggest omission is probably CARCASS. I have heard and love Heartwork and Necroticism, but my sweet ears still haven't been graced by Reek of Putrefaction or Symphonies of Sickness. Just a song or two here and there.

I have those two, though I really can't listen to "Reek of Putrefaction". I just can't differentiate one song to the next. They're one of those bands I feel that kept getting better as they went along.

A lot of stuff in the death or black metal category, though I can't say I care to ever change that!

@ Simon - Strato's "Visions" is essential listening. If that doesn't make you a fan, nothing will.

Most Black Sabbath albums

Well, with Sabbath, honestly, you can really be ok with one of the zillion collections out there. I mean, I have a lot of the studio albums, but many of them end up getting traded a long the way, as they aren't necessities.

Though I guess I know most of the material like the back of my hand.

Depends on the album or the collection.
I mean, I have (well sold the physical boxset and have MP3s) the WHEELS OF CONFUSION box, and that's more than enough Ozzy era Sabbath you need.

The best straight through FULL LENGTH Sabbath's are Tony Martin or Ian Gillan albums anyhow. Oh and that short guy who's name I cant recall. LOL

Depends on the album or the collection.
I mean, I have (well sold the physical boxset and have MP3s) the WHEELS OF CONFUSION box, and that's more than enough Ozzy era Sabbath you need.

The best straight through FULL LENGTH Sabbath's are Tony Martin or Ian Gillan albums anyhow. Oh and that short guy who's name I cant recall. LOL

All right, that Wheels of Confusion box gets you a pass. It was very comprehensive.

Trust me, I have owned every single Sabbath album (including Seventh Star) at one point in my life.
I would have to go back to my collection to tell you what I own or don't at this current moment.

As much as I love Sabbath, I can go to sleep at night knowing I don't have a complete collection.

I think "classics" are in the eye of the beholder so to say. There are lots of bands that have that classic album that is a must but it is not always the best in my case. For example...people say Demon "Night of the Demon" is thier classic essential album....I say "taking the world by storm". I never like the whole idea behind...this is an album you HAVE to hear.

Really??? I actually just sold that on eBay.
Didn't know you were looking for it.
You aren't missing anything.

I know its not very good, ive listened to it, well attempted to get through all of it but have never been successful. But for sake of my cd collection and completing the BS collection its a must have.

I actually am missing cross purposes as well.