Computer tech gay stuff

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
So, uh, I know a ton about computers. I'm just forgetful, though. :D Where do I go/How do I check how much of my memory I'm using, and how much is free? Thanks anyone who helps me out. :eek:

yeah. System cache is how much RAM is reserved for shit (but not neccesarily used).

The important number is RAM available... with windows idling it should be at least 50-75% of your RAM depending upon how much you have. With a fresh reboot and nothing running I have 896MB free out of 1024.

edit: it's 896 free not 796. Lol.

Windows show at most take up 200 MB (untweaked) at system startup. Since mine runs for weeks without a reboot it can get pretty unwieldly. I'm also LOOOOONG overdue for a fresh install. I'll probably do that next week while the new courses are just starting to ramp up.

haha. I could go into even more detail than that. But i'd need to post screenshots (i'm bad at explaining stuff) and it'd take a while to put together and It's late, i'm tired and he didn't need that much info.

Btw, if you think you're having a comp problem of some sort send me a PM or email and I'll help you out.

This seemed like an appropriate place to post this.

Is there any way to avoid activating Windows XP? I had to format my hard drive, didn't have a Windows disc, so used my friends without thinking about the whole activation thing.

Is there any way to avoid activating Windows XP? I had to format my hard drive, didn't have a Windows disc, so used my friends without thinking about the whole activation thing.

yeah, the later versions have this 30 day activation thingie ... not sure what happens after the 30 days. I think it just annoys you literally every other minute with a popup to do so (seen this on some machines)... also, you obviously can't run Windows Update either.

Try to buy an earlier licensed release off of eBay ... people sell them for pretty good prices.

yeah, the later versions have this 30 day activation thingie ... not sure what happens after the 30 days. I think it just annoys you literally every other minute with a popup to do so (seen this on some machines)... also, you obviously can't run Windows Update either.

Try to buy an earlier licensed release off of eBay ... people sell them for pretty good prices.

Nah, after 30 days it just doesn't work at all, so at some point I'm going to have to activate it! The problem is I don't have a valid product key.

So the earlier versions of XP don't have the 30 day thing? Excellent, I will have look on e-bay then.

Download XP corporate, or yeah, buy it. After 30 days it goes all fuckedup and you're out of luck unless you re-install or activate.

from my experience nobody outside the US has licensed software on their machines :loco:

from my experience nobody outside the US has licensed software on their machines :loco:

Hell no. That's why I have this problem, because I've never owned a proper copy of Windows! I pretty much just laughed off the suggestion to "buy it".