Concept Albums

Which one of these is concept albums do you like best?

• Total voters
FatesFan said:
Curious as to which of these is your favorite concept album.

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation
2. Fates Warning - APSOG
3. Heavenly - Dust to Dust
4. Symphony X - V
5. Dream Theater - SFAM

I chose not to include Mindcrime because I felt that it rule all. So chose yours and explain why if you chose. Or if your favorite is not here, list yours and expalin.

Voted for #1
My favorite concept album is Digital Ruin's "Listen" if I cannot count ISOT by Evergrey...

Nice to see the Bone Carver mentioned a few times here!

After all, I am a proud member of the PYRAMAZE steet team! :headbang:

I wish I could do the poll over again and add some of the above mentioned. :erk:

W.M.D. said:
1) The Wall - Pink floyd
2) Operation Mind Crime - Queensryce
3) Wake Of Magellan - Savatage
4) Dead Winter Dead - Savatage
5) King Diamond - Them

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:
I'm glad to see some King Diamond mentions. I know when it comes to metal Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy should rank pretty well on a list of best concept discs. I know they would all place on my top 10 list.

Britt

Heavenly doesn't get the credit it deserves. Dust to Dust is a great concept disc...The improvement these guys made from disc one to disc three was incredible.Too bad they broke up,I was looking forward to more
Give Dust to Dust a chance if you havent heard it.If you like speedy Euro metal this disc stands up to many classics

I just remembered the one I wanted to list but did not.

Vision Divine - The Perfect Machine

For the Record, I love this album. Your thoughts..............?

AngraRULES said:
Ever heard of Pain Of Salvation's Remedy Lane? It only falls behind DT's SFAM in that list.

Have heard of it but have not heard it. I will check it out.

I would have a hard time chosing between Dream Theater and Ayreon. They are both really written well and they are just astounding to listen too. I could listen to either of them over and over. If I had to chose, I would say Ayreon, but Dream Theater is a close second. Very close second.

Stay Metal!:headbang:
saMetal

My Top 5:

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (the best concept disc.....period.)
Savatage - Streets (this disc is terribly underrated IMO - love the closer "Believe")
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (not my favorite BG disc.....but love the concept)
W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol (By far, Blackie's opus.....)
Fates Warning - APSOG (love Alder's vocals......)

FatesFan said:
Curious as to which of these is your favorite concept album.

Of the ones listed, I went with DT-SFAM, just because it's my favorite disc of those five (SymX-V and FW-APSOG being VERY close). But honestly, none of them are favorites because of their concepts...more just for the individual songs and music.

For favorite CDs *because* of their "concepts," I'd go with:

1. Pain of Salvation - One Hour By The Concrete Lake
Partly because it's based on *fact* (the dumping of radiation in Lake Karachay by the Soviet Union in the Cold War-era), this CD still blows me away. It's my 2nd favorite PoS disc, but my favorite concept disc by anyone. Here's part of the concept's background (helps explain the unusual CD name, too): http://www.craigcaldwell.com/Karachay.txt

2. Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
Still a masterpiece
3. Rush - 2112
OK, so it's only the title track, but it's awesome enough to deserve mention
4. Pink Floyd - The Wall
Classic. 'Nuff said.

Craig

Wow this was a tough choice, but I gotta go with SFaM. THE comes in a very close 2nd though, and V after that.

edit: if Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth were on this list, that would have gotten my vote. That one is among my top 3 albums ever.

FatesFan said:
I chose not to include Mindcrime because I felt that it would rule all.
A wise move.

Symphony X - V

I just think it's an absolutelty brilliant CD. The only other concept CD that rivals it (aside from :worship: Mindcrime:worship:) is Zero Hour's Towers of Avarice.

Zod

I'm also a big fan of Avantasia (the first one)

Nightfall probably would have had my vote if it was listed.

Almost each album from Rhapsody... would also get my nod.

There are so many concept albums in metal, its impossible to choose a favorite. As noted in another thread, I love Virgin Steele's House of Atreus I & II

Though my favorite of all time might be The Who 'Tommy'. Yeah I know its a popular choice, and while I don't think that the entire album is amazing, there are enough tracks on it (mostly ones onthe first half) that just blow my mind.