Crimson II - nobody talks about this anymore

Yeah, if I can sit through the entire CD without shutting it off. :Smug:

If you or anyone else wants it, go ahead. I will get it out by the end of the month though if you still want me to review it.

NAD said:
If you or anyone else wants it, go ahead. I will get it out by the end of the month though if you still want me to review it.
Well, if you don't mind, it would be cool if you could indeed do it. You've had it for a while and I think you've listened to it the most. Josh just bought his, Erik has one in the mail, and I'm going to get divorced if I work on our website more than I already do. :erk: :lol: :loco: :cry:

:lol: Yeah, I've listened to it all the way through at least... hmmm. Maybe once! I'm starting to think I can't get into it because there's nothing to get into. D'oh.

I've just finished listening to Crimson ][ in its entirety for the third time since receiving it from Ali this morning (thanks!) and so far I'm not disappointed but not overtly impressed. It's definitely a very good album, but it just doesn't seem as well-constructed and memorable as Crimson I so far. There are also some oddities production-wise: vocal mixing, snare drum etc, but nothing really major. So far, I prefer the first one.

JayKeeley said:
I always thought there was something very 'artificial' about Crimson II, but now I think I'm being swayed even more by this rumour.
I agree that it has an "artificial" feel, and it'd be strange if it didn't, after all this is basically Dan sitting at home with his computer, sampled drums, a bunch of VST plugins and software synths and the guitar through a POD XT. It's still good, but... It doesn't feel quite as genuine as the first one which was recorded with all live instruments by a whole band and all that...

Although I do sort of hum along to a few of the riffs when I occasionally listen to it, I pretty much stand by my review. Good but not great, and no way gracing my super competitive top 10 this year.

NAD said:
Although I do sort of hum along to a few of the riffs when I occasionally listen to it, I pretty much stand by my review. Good but not great, and no way gracing my super competitive top 10 this year.

The more I listen lately, the more I like it. It's a great sequel and I'm getting ready to listen to part 1 immediately followed by part 2.

Papa Josh said:
Band or no band, the material crushes.
"Crushes"? I don't know - I was listening to Necrophagia earlier on and I would say that is crushing. Man, Mirai is my hero these days.

Anyway, the thing about Crimson II is that there is no moment that makes me want to turn the volume up, or it never simply stops me in my tracks. It starts, it carries on for a bit, and then it ends. Blah. Not good, not bad. Certainly not even as good as Purgatory Afterglow, let alone Crimson 1.

JayKeeley said:
"Crushes"? I don't know - I was listening to Necrophagia earlier on and I would say that is crushing. Man, Mirai is my hero these days.

Anyway, the thing about Crimson II is that there is no moment that makes me want to turn the volume up, or it never simply stops me in my tracks. It starts, it carries on for a bit, and then it ends. Blah. Not good, not bad. Certainly not even as good as Purgatory Afterglow, let alone Crimson 1.

I respect your opinion, but you're wrong. :p

Alright, I gave this CD to a buddy of mine for perusal just now, he's not really familiar with any death metal beyond Opeth and Slayer. I'm trying to get an "outsider" opinion on this album, perhaps just for shits and giggles, but maybe for some deeper, darker point, like "is it any good."

Jamming the hell out of Part 1: The Forbidden Words right now.

Curious as to how everyone feels about this album now that 2003 is over, but regardless, this cd is going to carry me through 2004. Brilliance.

The fact that it's dedicated to Chuck Schuldiner makes it all the more special as I think it is an album he would've really liked a lot.

I'm indifferent towards it. It's not essential by any means, but it's not bad. It's certainly not the first thing I'll reach for when I want some EoS though.

It's okay. Crimson, Purgatory Afterglow, and The Spectral Sorrows are much better though. Those are the other EOS I have.

Oh yeah, my buddy ended up liking it quite a bit, so I bought him the first one for Christmas, telling him it was much better. :)

It's all about Dan Swano at the end of the day. Fucking hell, just because he's a workaholic doesn't make him King Midas.

JayKeeley said:
had it not been an album attached to the names of Dan Swano or EoS, it would have simply dissolved into the masses and been forgotten altogether.

Good point, Jay. This also applies to Bloodbath. Had Bloodbath not had members of Katatonia, Opeth and Dan Swano, no one would have cared. But since it did, OMG Bloodbath is the bestest death metal band evar OMG.

Dreamlord said:
Good point, Jay. This also applies to Bloodbath. Had Bloodbath not had members of Katatonia, Opeth and Dan Swano, no one would have cared. But since it did, OMG Bloodbath is the bestest death metal band evar OMG.

WTF ever...

I seem to remember you enjoying Bloodbath quite a bit.

I don't even think that's a fair and adequate comparison as the album and EP are pretty fuckin good, and that's coming from a well known fan of brutal death metal.

So you're telling me if the EP and Resurrection had been released by no-name musicians, it would have been as popular as it was? Seriously, I'm not trying to knock Swano, Akerfeldt or the Kata-boys. But Bloodbath received countless praises and I don't even remember a bad review. However, if the band would have been full of no-names, every reviewer would have attacked the band for lack of ideas and just stagnating an already stagnant genre.

I'm a fan of brutal DM as well, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Dreamlord said:
So you're telling me if the EP and Resurrection had been released by no-name musicians, it would have been as popular as it was? Seriously, I'm not trying to knock Swano, Akerfeldt or the Kata-boys. But Bloodbath received countless praises and I don't even remember a bad review. However, if the band would have been full of no-names, every reviewer would have attacked the band for lack of ideas and just stagnating an already stagnant genre.

I'm a fan of brutal DM as well, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Did you ever think that maybe they didn't receive a bad review because the album was actually good? Your sarcasm "Kata-boys" is oh so apparent...

I think you're a hater. :tickled:

Like I said, the album was great and I seem to remember a lot of people digging it.