DEVILDRIVER and SOIL Confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

Don't know...what do you consider bigger? Numbers? If so, last year already did. But if you mean based on what you and many people would consider a complete "fest" experience...then not yet.

Hmm...if you mean "fest" atmosphere as there being camaraderie...I say you are there. Why do I say that? I saw people crowd surfing on all nights....and if you are willing to hold a stranger's ass in your face and above your head to help them crowd surf...you can't get any more close than that. That's camaraderie my friend! :p :loco: :kickass:

...and if you are willing to hold a stranger's ass in your face and above your head to help them crowd surf...you can't get any more close than that. That's camaraderie my friend!

I've held a stranger's ass in my face, but for other reasons... I didn't consider it camaraderie at the time, but... :lol:

In due time, we feel confident that future Powerfests will dwarf what we have now!
I hope so. Like I said, despite that my posts may sometimes sound critical, I'm rooting for you guys to succeed.

Ever hear of beating a dead horse? :lol: Although, if you guys feel there are still things that you need to discuss, please don't let me stop you! Like I said, it's fun to read. :p
What can I say, I have a bit of horse beating fetish. :loco:

Zod

Hey booB! Thanks for the feedback & we completely understand your position. I would do no different.

Sometimes we have to do certain things when looking at the big picture that may not seem logical to some people at the time. I know you get it...and THANKS SO VERY MUCH for your continued support...even if you don't make it this year. ;)

Thanks! We do appreciate it!

And as far as your fetish...well, I guess there are worse ones. :lol:

Yeah like the getting naked running around the hotel one that a certain guitar player has.

I just wanted to throw in my quick 2 cents on the whole thing.

Camaraderie - Well PP is more like family and Powerfest is more like fest. Though in Powerfest's defense not enough of the same people go each year, but the people that do go each year are getting closer it just takes the right scenario. For instance I wouldnt miss Powerfest this year, well for Kiuas most importantly, but also I want to hang with the 12th gate crew since we had such a great time in August. Not to mention I am sure there will be a few repeats from last year and maybe Zod and Mrs. Zod will actually show up :p.

Soil - Devildriver: I already commented briefly on this, while I dont like either band I do believe that they will be good for the fest in the long run. Also Rob kind of said they werent the first bands they went after, so it was a polite way of saying there were other bands that were a better fit. I would rather then my friends not lose again, so I will deal with it and try to have the best time possible.

Hmm...if you mean "fest" atmosphere as there being camaraderie...I say you are there. Why do I say that? I saw people crowd surfing on all nights....and if you are willing to hold a stranger's ass in your face and above your head to help them crowd surf...you can't get any more close than that. That's camaraderie my friend! :p :loco: :kickass:
True, but the difference is that some of the bufoons in attendance last year would have shit on you on their way by. ;)

Britt

With that said, the line up is solid. It WILL draw well, but it will draw a totally different crowd as well. Some of your "regulars" may feel let down a bit.

If this lineup draws well, then good for the promoters and bands. And if you guys win new fans over then good for you. Well deserved on all accounts -- if we all had the balls to do what Rob & co do then we'd all be hosting festivals.

From a totally selfish standpoint, however, we, your fans, would love to see you alongside other bands of a similar genre or theme. That way, when we travel halfway across the country and pay for flights, hotels, taxis, and strippers, we're getting our moneys worth. And with this economy, we'd be paying for lap dances with food stamps.

But come on, this is why we fly to Heathen Crusade. This is why we fly to ProgPower. With all due respect, I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want to fly to Chicago to see one band (unless it was a once-in-a-lifetime reunion or some cult offering.)

Somebody once told me the other day that they couldn't understand why any Opeth fan wouldn't want to own at least one Novembers Doom CD. I get that you need to expand on your fan base, but it would be so much better if you were appreciated by fans who would stay true to you just as you have stayed true to us. You are not a fad to us. Hot Topic bands are.

Just as an example, imagine if you ended up in a US fest with a line up like this:

Opeth
My Dying Bride
Agalloch
Novembers Doom
Gwynbleidd
Fen

All I'm saying is that all those bands exposing their music to all those fans would no doubt win over new fans over for life. Granted, it may be less in number, but I have to think that having 100 new fans for life is better than having 1000 new fans for the day.

I hope so. Like I said, despite that my posts may sometimes sound critical, I'm rooting for you guys to succeed.

What can I say, I have a bit of horse beating fetish. :loco:

Zod

Hey, Equestrian Battery is a popular Chicago pasttime! Hey, that could be a good band name. Anyway, CPF is going to kickass. Its going to be my first one and I'm totally excited to catch Kiaus and Novembers Doom. Economic downturn aside, checking out NMF, CPF, and PP this year are all the live metal I need. Some of you guys are talking about these festivals like they are all mutually exclusive. Fuck all that shit, go to ALL of em! Support the scene, come to Chicago (its not as corrupt lately). +1 for putting this together, Rob.

Oh, and if anyone is on the fence about going, and thinking "MWC really doesn't do it for me, screw friday", I guarantee ya that we have a pretty kickin' ensemble now and it'll probably surprise the skeptics.

JayKeeley, I understand your points entirely. Basically we're trying to look at this in a positive manner, and say, "Well it's not our usual kind of crowd or lineup, but fuck if we aren't gonna try to win over some new fans anyhow!" Would we choose to play on a show with metalcore bands over playing a fest with Opeth and MDB? Probably not, given the opportunity. But that's the problem, the opportunity to do a fest like you mentioned just isn't there, at least not around these parts. We had a blast playing Heathen Crusade that one year, and we haven't been asked back again. We've never been invited to ProgPower in the U.S., and I think logically it's because they figure we won't appeal to the majority of attendees at that fest. We'd have loved to be part of Maryland Deathfest, but again, we weren't given a chance. I know partly because so many people still lump us into that "slow doom band" category (proceeds to bang head against the wall). In any case, do we blame anyone who wants to see us but doesnt want to make the trip and pay the $$$ when there's little else on the bill they care about? Of course not, we understand totally. But basically we can either look at this with a positive spin, as we've been doing, and try to make something good out of it. Or we can just cancel and not play. Which would be pretty lame, in my opinion.

The one thing I just disagree with some people about is that they think there's no chance for diehard, cool new young fans to be won or found in a Devildriver or Soil crowd. Like I mentioned before, I meet and hear from kids from all over and alot of them like stuff like metalcore but are also starting to discover bands like Opeth, ND, and MDB and love them too. I think it's possible to find fans who would stay true and devoted to us at a show like this, and not just playing with bands like Opeth to their crowds. Furthermore, even at a show like that, for as many people as might be turned onto us, how many people would just turn their noses up at us because they're "Opeth snobs" and think every band like us is just some wannabe? You can find positives and negatives in any of these situations. We like Rob and Chris, we are jazzed about playing Powerfest regardless of who else is on the bill, and we're gonna play as best as we can to those people who are interested in checking us out, whether it's an old fan or someone hearing us for the first time. And the people who support us but can't justify coming out to see us at this particular fest, we still appreciate your support and hope to see you at the next show :)

And for the record, we've played on bills numerous times with every band you mentioned (other than Fen). Getting all of us onto one bill at the same time would be sweet. Anyone out there care to take up the mantle of making that happen?