DEVIN TOWNSEND: Empath

DEVIN TOWNSEND TALKS EMPATH ALBUM - "I WAS REALLY DEPRESSED DURING THE MAKING OF IT" (AUDIO)

DEVIN TOWNSEND ANNOUNCES 2020 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR WITH THE CONTORTIONIST, HAKEN

"...Tickets on sale Friday, October 25 at 10 AM, local time via hevydevy.com/tourdates...."

DTTOUR20201019.jpeg

February
27 - Phoenix Concert Theatre - Toronto, ON
28 - Corona Theatre - Montreal, QC
29 - Warsaw - Brooklyn, NY

March
1 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA
3 - Theatre of Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
5 - The Underground - Charlotte, NC
6 - Center Stage - Atlanta, GA
7 - The Plaza Live - Orlando, FL
9 - Warehouse Live - Houston, TX
10 - Granada Theater - Dallas, TX
12 - Cannery Ballroom - Nashville, TN
13 - The Crofoot Ballroom - Pontiac, MI
14 - Metro - Chicago, IL
15 - House of Blues - Cleveland, OH
16 - Rams Head Live - Baltimore, MD
19 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
20 - Granada Theater - Lawrence, KS
21 - The Oriental Theater - Denver, CO
23 - The Van Buren - Phoenix, AZ
24 - The Mayan - Los Angeles, CA
25 - The Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

DEVIN TOWNSEND'S EMPATH NORTH AMERICAN TOUR KICKS OFF NEXT MONTH; NEW VIDEO TRAILER STREAMING

Last edited:
For people close to Nashville, TN - Devin Townsend will be in town playing at the Cannery on March 12 with Haken supporting. Bring a stuffed animal to the show if you have one to spare. Devin loves stuffed animals and quokkas.

ER387Q6VAAUFR7S.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going. Can't wait! Looks like he changes up his set-list just about every night.

For people close to Nashville, TN - Devin Townsend will be in town playing at the Cannery on March 12 with Haken supporting. Bring a stuffed animal to the show if you have one to spare. Devin loves stuffed animals and quokkas.

Hey dude I just noticed your avatar. Love it. Seems coach Pruitt is turning things around isn't he?. The day we beat Alabama and Florida in the same year will be the day coach Pruitt will become a state hero. I think it will happen. Go Vols.

PS: I'm thinking Devin needs a Big Orange Power T plushy toy. :-D

@engmtlhd Devin Townsend just postponed the rest of his tour. I am assuming that includes tonight's gig in Nashville.

Read more here:
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/1238182093995171840

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/1238182385583149057

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/1238182811510554624

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/1238182923792048130

"Hey all, yes. The remainder of the tour is postponed. We found out at 3 am as a result of the travel ban put into effect yesterday. I can’t begin to express my disappointment and I apologize especially to those who have travelled... It’s not responsible to hold big meetings of people in this current climate, perhaps not for you and I, but especially the ramifications of spreading it to people who we may interact with who are older or immune compromised. It has been a really hard day. No one has slept in over 30 hours. I was asked to wait before I announced so the official statement could be cleared with agents, rental companies, venues etc. Again this is a postponement, not cancellation. Your support has been so wonderful on this run, I’m so sorry."

@NorseBlood I saw that yesterday afternoon...major bummer. I was stoked to go see him, but....it's only a postponement and not a cancellation. It seems COVID-19 has changed everything...from concerts, sporting events, public events, etc. Strange and unique times we are living in.

DEVIN TOWNSEND'S EMPATH - THE ULTIMATE EDITION SET FOR JUNE RELEASE; DETAILS REVEALED

"...Devin Townsend has announced the release of Empath - The Ultimate Edition, on June 5. This comprehensive version of 2019’s acclaimed album contains the original record and bonus disc across 2 CD’s, plus 2 Blu-Ray discs. The first blu-ray contains the 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Devin, with visuals for the full record, plus a stereo visualizer. The second blu-ray contains a raft of bonus material, including Acoustically Inclined – Live In Leeds, a recording from his April 2019 acoustic tour where he performed tracks including "Love?", "Deadhead", "Thing Beyond Things" & more.

It also features the full Empath Documentary, a Genesis 5.1 Mixing Lesson, a full album commentary & more. The four discs sit inside a beautiful art-book that contains new liner notes and images from the making of the album....

Devin comments of the new 5.1 surround sound mix: “On a technical level, I guess I have always been dissatisfied with the basic ‘stereo’ format in which the type of music I make gets presented in. Whether its headphones, computer speakers, stereos (or basically anything currently), I have had to figure out ways to get the work to function through TWO speakers. I hear things in a particularly orchestrated way, and with the amount of information that typically gets recorded per song, the result has been the dubious ‘wall of sound’ that I keep ending up with. But my intention has never been to make an oppressive experience, but rather something that is immersive and vast.

"Making it work in two speakers just simply doesn't quite work for the vision. Although I’ve managed to get the point across, (to varying degrees), things always have to compromise to make it all fit. Making the drums speak at the same time as orchestra, cymbals, guitars, choirs, synths etc.…all with my voice on top, ends up with every conceivable frequency fighting for breathing space between those two speakers.

"Therefore, I asked the powers that be in my business world, to tolerate one more ‘kick at the can’ when it came to Empath. I wanted to attempt a surround mix and follow the original vision of it being an immersive, multimedia experience for people in the ways I could best achieve at this stage. And although it’s still pretty ‘dense’, with four more sources for the sound to come from, I feel its significantly closer to the original vision here.”

Pre-orders are now available via the following links: omerch.eu/shop/devintownsend/, Devin-Townsend.lnk.to/Empath-TheUltimateEdition...."