Dimmu Borgir question

ICEDEARTHFAN

IN MEMORY.....
Sep 24, 2008
Northeast Alabama
I'm not a fan of Black Metal,Death Metal or whatever it is called.But, I just heard Dimmu Borgir version of "Burn In Hell"(orginially a Twisted Sister song) and I loved it!!!
I don't really know anything about this band other than the video or two I've seen over the years and they were both nothing but growling and I don't mind some growling in a song,I just don't like the whole song to be that way.Anyway,after hearing the above mentioned remake about 10 minutes ago,I now know they also have another singer that actually sings instead of growling.My question is are there any CDs they have put out that are more like the remake I heard or was that just a one time song?
I could definitely get into this band if "that guy" is doing the main singing.

I'm not a fan of Black Metal,Death Metal or whatever it is called.But, I just heard Dimmu Borgir version of "Burn In Hell"(orginially a Twisted Sister song) and I loved it!!!
I don't really know anything about this band other than the video or two I've seen over the years and they were both nothing but growling and I don't mind some growling in a song,I just don't like the whole song to be that way.Anyway,after hearing the above mentioned remake about 10 minutes ago,I now know they also have another singer that actually sings instead of growling.My question is are there any CDs they have put out that are more like the remake I heard or was that just a one time song?
I could definitely get into this band if "that guy" is doing the main singing.

I believe the singer you are referring to is ICS Vortex. Well, that's the Dimmu name he uses anyway. I have several of their CDs but don't recall any of the ones I have being predominantly cleanly-sung. The growls are typically featured with clean elements scattered throughout in many of the songs.

If memory serves me correctly, ICS Vortex also sang in the now-defunct band Arcturus which I think, although there is still growling, has a bit more generous helping of cleanly sung vocals (but I admit it has been ages since I have listened to Arcturus).

No doubt there are experts in this forum that can quickly advise you while, at the same time, letting me know if I'm way off base in my Dimmu and Arcturus assessments above.

ICS Vortex (aka Simen Hestnaes) has generally had his vocals go under-utilized in Dimmu...however, you might want to check out his work with Borknagar, as he was the sole vocalist for a couple of their albums. There's still a lot of growling going on, but Borknagar have a definite progressive/viking feel going on in most of their music as opposed to the more direct symphonic black metal approach with Dimmu. http://www.myspace.com/borknagar - listen to Colossus and Oceans Rise, both feature some great examples of his clean vocals. If the growls are too much on those two, then you're probably not going to get into the Borknagar albums he was on.

He also appeared on Arcturus's final album, "Sideshow Symphonies" and their "Shipwrecked In Oslo" DVD. http://www.myspace.com/arcturusnorway - Deamonpainter is the only song on their MySpace with him on vocals.

If you don't like Black Metal vocals, avoid Dimmu. On most of their discs, 90% of the vocals (or more) are Black Metal style.

If you're still interested in checking them out, I'd recommend Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

Zod

ICS Vortex (aka Simen Hestnaes) has generally had his vocals go under-utilized in Dimmu...however, you might want to check out his work with Borknagar, as he was the sole vocalist for a couple of their albums. There's still a lot of growling going on, but Borknagar have a definite progressive/viking feel going on in most of their music as opposed to the more direct symphonic black metal approach with Dimmu. http://www.myspace.com/borknagar - listen to Colossus and Oceans Rise, both feature some great examples of his clean vocals. If the growls are too much on those two, then you're probably not going to get into the Borknagar albums he was on.

He also appeared on Arcturus's final album, "Sideshow Symphonies" and their "Shipwrecked In Oslo" DVD. http://www.myspace.com/arcturusnorway - Deamonpainter is the only song on their MySpace with him on vocals.

I just listened to Colossus and Oceans Rise.Colossus was good,Oceans Rise was too slow,although I did like the vocals.
I also listened to Deamonpainter and I like the vocals,but the song itself is too slow.
Thanks for the info!!!

Immortal > Dimmu
Windir > Dimmu
Enslaved > Dimmu
Old Man's Child > Dimmu

The point you ask?
Dimmu has some solid material, but there are a LOT better bands.

IEFan. Have you listened to Type O Negative? If not, I think you might like them a lot. I also recommend you check out newer Tiamat.

IEFan. Have you listened to Type O Negative? If not, I think you might like them a lot. I also recommend you check out newer Tiamat.

LOVE Type O,especially Bloody Kisses and October Rust.
I don't know that much about Tiamat.I'll give them a try,though.
Thanks for the info!!!

P.S.- Curious about why you chose those 2 bands to recommend? Are the other bands listed in this thread a lot like these 2 bands?

I chose them because I was going to recommend that you check out some symphonic prog, neosymph, sypmhonix metal, and music along those lines. I figure you don't really like the 'black' part of Dimmu and any black metal but that you do enjoy some of the darkness and orchestration.

I also recommend Tristania, Sirenia, Arcturus, and Septic Flesh.

Do any of those bands have any "clean vocal" sounding songs that you think I would like?
Each of the last few Enslaved discs have featured more and more clean vocals. However, the vocals are still more than two thirds Black.

Black Metal isn't like Death Metal, where you have sub-genres that feature a lot of clean vocals. If you don't like Black Metal vocals, your going to find very little in the genre you'll enjoy.

Zod

Each of the last few Enslaved discs have featured more and more clean vocals. However, the vocals are still more than two thirds Black.

Black Metal isn't like Death Metal, where you have sub-genres that feature a lot of clean vocals. If you don't like Black Metal vocals, your going to find very little in the genre you'll enjoy.

Zod

It's not that I don't like Black Metal vocals at all.It's just that I like a mix of clean vocals in with the song.I'm trying to think of a good example right now,but my mind isn't working...

It's not that I don't like Black Metal vocals at all.It's just that I like a mix of clean vocals in with the song.I'm trying to think of a good example right now,but my mind isn't working...
Have you checked out Vintersorg? The first few albums are more growl-oriented, but from "Cosmic Genesis" onward, he's had a lot of clean vocals.

Edit: Not really black metal other than some BM influences in his early stuff, but interesting nonetheless and worth checking out if you like Simen's voice.

Have you checked out Vintersorg? The first few albums are more growl-oriented, but from "Cosmic Genesis" onward, he's had a lot of clean vocals.

Edit: Not really black metal other than some BM influences in his early stuff, but interesting nonetheless and worth checking out if you like Simen's voice.

Just listened to a few samples of them and I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing so far.He reminds me in some parts of Moonspell's singer.Thanks for the recommendation!!!!!!!

I think Arcturus(The Sham Mirrors and Sideshow Symphonies) is a good way to go for more of a clean vocal. Also I think Emperor's 'IX Equilibrium' has some great Ishan clean action in it. Perfect segue- Check out Ishan's solo discs; 'The Advesary' and 'Engel' great prog-black with 50% black and 50%clean vox. Check out Ulver too, their singer sang on Arcturus' 'Sham Mirrors' cd.