Disturbed is back

I kinda view them as the modern version of AC/DC: There isn't much surprise from album to album, but no one else really sounds like them.
A very fair assessment. There's no evolution, just writing strong songs in their comfort zone.

Even as a fan of Disturbed, I still get amused by this:
I've seen that before. It is in fact awesome.

Fair assessment, Zod. Draiman's voice gets to me after a few tunes. It's distinct, but not to my taste at all.
I totally get that.

I have seen them live, however. And they are a damn solid live act. So I won't knock their success. Very deserved.
Agreed. They do what they do well.

I agree that Draiman's voice is unique (even though I can't stand his vocals) but musically they aren't original, its as generic as nickleback.
As Mardoch points out, Donegan's guitar is pretty recognizable. As you noted, Draiman's vocals are very recognizable. And as I pointed out earlier, their lyrics are often political, which is something you don't see a lot of today in modern rock. I get that people don't like them and I understand why. But how many bands truly stand apart from their genre? By definition, genres are all about similarities. How many prog metal bands can you name where the singer has a truly unique voice, the guitar players tone stands out as recognizable, and their lyrics are different than that of their peers?

Honestly, I don't own anything from Disturbed. With that said, I don't dislike them either. Draiman seems to actually get respect throughout the various sub-genres of metal. I really dug the, If I Close My Eyes, cover that he and Hale did together...very cool stuff.

~Brian~

I just hope they can come back with some sort of newer inventiveness. They were getting pretty samey and yes I understand its their style but the first three albums were kind of different from each other while having a certain je ne sais quoi...I have always been a fan but to keep me, please evolve..

Bear

I just hope they can come back with some sort of newer inventiveness. They were getting pretty samey and yes I understand its their style but the first three albums were kind of different from each other while having a certain je ne sais quoi...I have always been a fan but to keep me, please evolve.
I agree with everything you wrote. Unfortunately, I'm not holding much hope that they'll evolve in any sort of positive way. I think at this point, the most you can hope for is consistent quality.

I agree with everything you wrote. Unfortunately, I'm not holding much hope that they'll evolve in any sort of positive way. I think at this point, the most you can hope for is consistent quality.

Agreed on all counts. I'd wager that they are going to deliver on the quality portion, because they never haven't and they have a very clear idea of who they are, what they do, and how to do it. Will it remain interesting? That's a harder question, and for me the answer is already bordering on a strong no. But I'm not in their typical target audience so that's whatever.

DISTURBED ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

March
11 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
12 - The Showbox - Seattle, WA
14 - Roseland Theater - Portland, OR
16 - The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
17 - The Observatory - Santa Ana, CA
20 - House of Blues - San Diego, CA
23 - House of Blues - Dallas, TX
24 - House of Blues - Houston, TX
25 - House of Blues - New Orleans, LA
27 - Iron City - Birmingham, AL
29 - House of Blues - Myrtle Beach, SC
30 - The National - Richmond, VA

April
1 - Baltimore Sound Stage - Baltimore, MD
2 - Theatre of Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
4 - Irving Plaza - New York, NY
5 - Rapids Theater - Niagara Falls, NY
7 - St. Andrews Hall - Detroit, MI
8 - Orbit Room - Grand Rapids, MI
10 - New Daisy Theatre - Memphis, TN

After a first quick listen, my first impressions are positive. It does seem like the hiatus has done them some good creatively, I feel an energy behind it that I haven't heard since "Ten Thousand Fists". It's not a revolution as far as their sound goes. I think people hoping for evolution will probably have mixed feelings about it. It's not Asylum part 2, but it's not a radical step outside their comfort zone either. The variety of songs is welcome too, there's some stuff that harks back to the debut as well as the more rock sound of later years.

One standout track for me was the cover of "The Sound of Silence". Draiman shows off his clean vocal prowess in a way that I wish he would more often. It's a shame that he so rarely exercises that muscle, but the cover is pretty damn good.

I am still shocked they are playing small venues. I know they have been away for a while, but they have always been a pretty solid arena/theater act. The HOB in New Orleans is 900 capacity.

I pre-ordered their album and got a unique presale code. I don't have my hopes up on getting tickets as this is the sort of thing that sells out crazy fast, so lets hope I am able to score one.

Kurt

DISTURBED - WARNER BROS. PULLS VIDEO FOR "THE VENGEFUL ONE" IN THE WAKE OF VIRGINA REPORTER, CAMERAMAN SHOOTING

According to USA Today, Warner Bros. has pulled a video ad for Disturbed in the wake of Wednesday's fatal on-air shooting of a TV reporter and her cameraman:

"The ad for the band's new album, Immortalized, contained footage from a music video for latest single 'The Vengeful One', in which a monstrous creature shoots several people at a television station. The clip, known as a pre-roll ad, played before online news videos, including those at usatoday.com."