DragonForce-Inhuman Rampage

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
There are not many bands that get a whole sub-genre of Metal Music all to themselves; Dragonforce achieved this after their first album, Valley Of The Damned. They confirmed that their style of music earned and was aptly entitled "Extreme Power Metal" with their second album Sonic Firestorm. Now, with their third offering -- Inhuman Rampage -- ready to hit the shops on January 9, 2006, Extreme Power Metal just doesn’t seem adequate anymore.
Inhuman Rampage has really pushed the envelope this time. The warp factor eleventeen drumming of Dave Mackintosh has allowed the dual guitaring of Herman Li and Sam Totman to reach speeds that go beyond the ability of mere mortal Axesmiths. Keyboarder Vadim Pruzhanov, who played a rather subdued role in the previous albums, has definitely stamped his mark on Inhuman Rampage with some mind-blowing solos and incredible synth sounds. Adrian Lambert has also shown a few moments of brilliance with that beast of a six-stringed bass of his. The track “Body Breakdown” is probably a fine example of how the keyboards and bass has taken Inhuman Rampage to that new level of Power Metal that needs to be renamed. Adrian has recently left the band to spend more time with his family, and his presence will be sorely missed. ZP Theart’s vocals are about the only part of Dragonforce that has stayed pretty constant; but then why change something that’s so obviously perfect for the job; though they have experimented with a few vocal FX, some that worked, and some that didn’t. The wobbly Cher vocal on the chorus of “Revolution Deathsquad” springs to mind, but at least they only used it once. One thing that most definitely works is the harmonics of the backing vocals, provided by the rest of the band, and the inclusion of the "Evil Backing Vocals" sung by Lyndsay Dawson is absolute genius with Lyndsay’s and ZP’s vocal scales being at complete opposite ends of the sonic spectrum.
Being Power Metal, Extreme or otherwise, the lyrical content of Inhuman Rampage is fantasy and escapism at its finest. Songs of crossing rivers, seas, dark mountains, and wide plains under a starlit sky, all to fight the good fight, slay the fiery dragon, free the oppressed citizens from the evil tyrant, and accomplish all this with only your sword, shield, and trusty steed. Play this album through your headphones, dim the lights, light a few candles, lie back, relax and you’re there in the midst of that entire epic fantasia. Of course, you’re going to have to use all your self control to lie there all relaxed when listening to Inhuman Rampage when every nerve in your body is screaming to get up and mosh like a loony.
“Trail Of Broken Hearts” is this album’s ballad, and perfectly placed as the last track to give your screaming neural synapses a little bit of peace and tranquillity that will allow them the time to adjust back to the less ferocious input of the real world. Dragonforce may not be so renowned for their ballads, but you can feel that just as much thought, effort, body, and soul goes into their ballads as the rest of their songs. Like Valley Of The Damned’s “Starfire” and Sonic Firestorm’s “Dawn Over A New World” that have gone before it, “Trail Of Broken Hearts” will no doubt be a big hit at Dragonforce gigs with the crowd waving their lighters, mobile phones, and any other light source over their heads, singing along fit to bust a lung. With Inhuman Rampage the old and current Power Metal stalwarts have by now no hope of creating anything close to its speed and ferocity. After becoming familiar with Dragonforce's first two releases, the thought that the band had put too much effort in their initial efforts and may have peaked too early couldn't be more wrong ... and if Inhuman Rampage is anything to go by, that same thought process is going to wrong for some time!

There's nothing extreme about Dragonforce - unless you mean extremely shit. They are fucking awful and have no business being classed as a metal band. They play happy hardcore dance music, along the same lines as the sort Hixxy and Sharkey, Force and Styles, Scott Brown etc churn out year after year. Anyone in the UK just has to listen to a "Bonkers" album to see what I mean.
That's DANCE music. Dragonforce play happy hardcore techno dance music, but with guitars instead of keyboards, and it is the worse music I've ever heard in my fucking life.
If you like this band, download "Toytown" by DJ Hixxy, you'll love it. It's better than this shit by miles.
Heavy metal? Fuck off, they're not even rock music and they give me a sore head with their joyful happy "blastbeat" (ha!) garbage.

BTW why is the word "ferocity" mentioned in relation to this band? They're as ferocious as a small pool of urine.

Stormwatch said:
There's nothing extreme about Dragonforce - unless you mean extremely shit. They are fucking awful and have no business being classed as a metal band. They play happy hardcore dance music, along the same lines as the sort Hixxy and Sharkey, Force and Styles, Scott Brown etc churn out year after year. Anyone in the UK just has to listen to a "Bonkers" album to see what I mean.
That's DANCE music. Dragonforce play happy hardcore techno dance music, but with guitars instead of keyboards, and it is the worse music I've ever heard in my fucking life.
If you like this band, download "Toytown" by DJ Hixxy, you'll love it. It's better than this shit by miles.
Heavy metal? Fuck off, they're not even rock music and they give me a sore head with their joyful happy "blastbeat" (ha!) garbage.

BTW why is the word "ferocity" mentioned in relation to this band? They're as ferocious as a small pool of urine.

Thankyou! Exactly what I always wanted to say but couldn't find the words to say it.

Stormwatch said:

Truly arrogant you are.

Alteredmindeath said:
Truly arrogant you are.

Perhaps. But if you don't agree with my post, please elaborate.
I know what I'm talking about as I used to listen to a lot of happy hardcore music, and Dragonforce is exactly the same as it. You disagree?

The Review was taken from MetalRadio.com, I thought It would be cool to see an early review of DragonForce. I am not a huge fan of Powermetal,hardcore, or metalcore but I do like a few bands. I enjoy the guitar solos and stuff, but the rhythm is just boring slow strummed power chords most of the time. Alot of the songs sound the same ,if they added some darkness and progressiveness somehow they could be better. Anyway im not here to argue with anyone, everyone has the right to their own opinion, and that is the way things should be.

Alteredmindeath said:
The Review was taken from MetalRadio.com, I thought It would be cool to see an early review of DragonForce. I am not a huge fan of Powermetal,hardcore, or metalcore but I do like a few bands. I enjoy the guitar solos and stuff, but the rhythm is just boring slow strummed power chords most of the time. Alot of the songs sound the same ,if they added some darkness and progressiveness somehow they could be better. Anyway im not here to argue with anyone, everyone has the right to their own opinion, and that is the way things should be.

So you don't like them either? But you call me arrogant for saying they're shit?
FFS. :err:

AsModEe said:
there's a way of saying you don't like a band without being arrogant I guess

What's the difference? You either like them or you don't, what's arrogance got to do with it?
And how was my post arrogant anyway? Am I not allowed to state my opinion? An opinion I feel qualified to have?

Stormwatch said:
What's the difference? You either like them or you don't, what's arrogance got to do with it?
And how was my post arrogant anyway? Am I not allowed to state my opinion? An opinion I feel qualified to have?
I'm not the one who was offended by the post, so I won't express my own opinion on that.

AsModEe said:
first, I was joking. Second, let me rephrase your post: 5,49 post a day. Wow I'm such a nerd.
c'mon you guys dont fight, unite :headbang: ... and besides you are makin' it sound like its a bad thing to post here...:erk: ...

It is rare that a band comes along who are so thouroughly talented, yet have literally no airs or graces. Dragonforce are the best that British Extreme Power Metal (and more of British Metal in general) has to offer. Valley of the Damned way back in 2003 let us know exactly what this band was about, superb musicianship, cheesey lyrics and a generally aptitude toward unbridaled sillyness.
"Sonic Firestorm" live up to its name and took the etal world by storm, mercilessly raping the opposition and bludgeoning it's life less corpse into a bloody pulp. Sam and Hermans guitar work had gotten even better and ZP's (already almost unbelieveble) vocal range had improved once again, Adrian Lambert was on top form. Alas I always felt Vadim's talent for keyboards was underused.
Their tours in turn, took that aptitude for sillyness to epic heights and even proved their enourmous level of passion for the music they make, a passion we can all now see on their video for "Through the Fire and Flames".
Now on "Inhumane Rampage" the band has made another winning record. Herman and Sam's guitar work is good as ever and their experimentation with new guitar sounds really shows through. ZP again is spot on as is Lamert's bass work. The inclusion of Dave (Bal Sagoth) on this album has brought with it the double bass drum (ah wonderment), allowing an astoundingly fast persussion assault for Sam and Herman to keep up with and finally Vadim has been allowed to showcase his wonderful talent for keyboards.
"Inhumane Rampage" like both Dragonforce albums before has little variety. But don't think for a second that that takes anything away from the experience of listening to it. 90% of this album is either fast or extremely fast, because that is the way Dragon force is meant to be.
The high points are the opening track "Through the Fire and Flames" stunningly beautiful, powerful and silly. Revolution Deathsquad and Storming the Burning Fields follow in this same trend. But the other stand out song on this album is Dragonforce's first (and only ballad) Trail of Broken Hearts, taking on a more Bon Jovi rather than Iron Maiden (on speed) feel to it showing the entire bands full range of musical styles and that perhaps we shouldn't right them off as being too cheesey for their own good just yet.
All in all, utterly silly, flamboyant and tongue in cheek with some of the best musicianship around to day, and all the subtlety of Hippo in a tutu. Truly a record to headbang to. The way Dragonforce should be.