Dragonforce officially mainstream

ragingsaxmachine said:
According to blabbermouth, Inhuman Rampage debuted at number 103 on the Billboard chart with 10,000 copies sold.

Remarkable for power metal...

Wow, that is extremely impressive.
Hasn't each of the Iced Earth discs sold like around 18,000 to 25,000 each in the states?

Jasonic said:
Wow, that is extremely impressive.
Hasn't each of the Iced Earth discs sold like around 18,000 to 25,000 each in the states?

When I interviewed Jon Schaffer at PP3, he estimated 100,000 Iced Earth albums had been sold in the USA (that was up to and including Horror Show).

Not sure how well Glorious Burden or the compilation sold.

JayKeeley said:
When I interviewed Jon Schaffer at PP3, he estimated 100,000 Iced Earth albums had been sold in the USA (that was up to and including Horror Show).

Not sure how well Glorious Burden or the compilation sold.

Ok, so my estimate then seems fairly accurate.

Given how popular some bands appear to be, they really sell a low volume of discs. You can almost understand why bands charge $25 to $30 for shirts!!

I sampled some Dragonforce yesterday, and I thought it sounded good. It's still blowing my mind, after hearing it, how they are gaining popularity over here! IMO, they're not breaking any new ground musically or anything.

edgeofthorns said:
I sampled some Dragonforce yesterday, and I thought it sounded good. It's still blowing my mind, after hearing it, how they are gaining popularity over here! IMO, they're not breaking any new ground musically or anything.

no, but they have the gimmick of super fast guitar solos and shredding. alterna-kids love making fun of metal. they get a kick out of it.

i'm not sure at all either. i found it strangel, perhaps they somehow marketed or sponsored themselves in a different way that reached here? or maybe its just the timing, i mean, some great bands may not make it because of the time they erupt...maybe it was just a great time in the US for a band like dragonforce? also keep in mind they are playing main stage for ozzfest, which means they are associated with a whole different "group" if you will. a chain like hot topic sees a newly erupting band like Dragonforce partially headlining Ozzfest, they will mot likely throw a coin in for them.

No-Mercy said:
i'm not sure at all either. i found it strangel, perhaps they somehow marketed or sponsored themselves in a different way that reached here? or maybe its just the timing, i mean, some great bands may not make it because of the time they erupt...maybe it was just a great time in the US for a band like dragonforce? also keep in mind they are playing main stage for ozzfest, which means they are associated with a whole different "group" if you will. a chain like hot topic sees a newly erupting band like Dragonforce partially headlining Ozzfest, they will mot likely throw a coin in for them.
Very true. That's very good exposure for the metal bands that can get it. More power to DF and bands like them. :headbang: :kickass:

Jasonic said:
Does anyone know what the set list has been for DragonForce at Ozzfest?
If it helps, these are the songs they played on their Euro headline tour:
Black Fire
Fury Of The Storm
Storming The Burning Fields
Body Breakdown
Operation Pound And Ground
Dawn Over A New World
Through The Fire and Flames
My Spirit Will Go On
Soldiers of the Wasteland
Heart of the Dragon
Valley of the Damned
Once in a life time
Disciples of Babylon
Trail of broken hearts
Fields of dispair

Magius said:
If it helps, these are the songs they played on their Euro headline tour:
Black Fire
Fury Of The Storm
Storming The Burning Fields
Body Breakdown
Operation Pound And Ground
Dawn Over A New World
Through The Fire and Flames
My Spirit Will Go On
Soldiers of the Wasteland
Heart of the Dragon
Valley of the Damned
Once in a life time
Disciples of Babylon
Trail of broken hearts
Fields of dispair

Well, thanks, but no, it doesn't help.
I am sure at Ozzfest they will get 5 songs max.

That Euro setlist looked pretty good. I would like to hear them play at least 5 tracks from VOTD, though. How about 5 tracks from each of their 3 CDs?

7thSaviour said:
Well, good sales for a metal CD is always a good thing IMO.

"A rising tide lifts all boats."

Who knows, maybe some of these mallcore kids who buy the CD (or hear it in the Hot Topic listening station) will like it and wonder about other bands that sound kinda like 'em.

Let's hope they find the good ones. :heh: