Dream Theater at Hammersmith Apollo

chazzyf

Feb 7, 2002
Manchester, UK
It was cool to finally meet the illusive MentaLee + some other forum browsers

Well after the latest 'Tribute to Metallica' CD from the Prog-Metal Gods (available in the shops with the title Train of Thought), I was not particularly looking forward to this show. I even gave away my tickets for the Manchester show.
However, the performance and the accompanying show was so amazing, my faith in the band has been renewed. Fantastic visuals, great playing and overall a very, very heavy (and loud) show.

There was a little something from every album (other than A Change of Seasons) and even a Queen cover Death on 2 Legs though when they played that I was a little worried that they were going to cover the whole album. They played 5 of the 7 tracks on the new album too - but at least they didn't play the whole of the new disk, as they did in Manchester.

The crowd was great too and the venue was packed - there really wasn't room to move in the stalls. Lots of youngsters too, so the audience wasn't just made up of old farts like myself :)

Set 1:
As I am
Beyond This Life [excellent Jam with JR + JP]
Endless Sacrifice
Caught in a New Millenium (MP Drum Solo)
This Dying Soul
The Great Debate
Finally Free

=== 15 min Intermission (Opeth's Damnation played over the PA) ===

Set 2:
Jordan Solo
Death on 2 Legs
Honor Thy Father
Another Day
Only a Matter of Time
A Mind Beside Itself (Erotomania, Voices, Silent Man )
[Voices was missing the 'thought disorder' section according to some reviews I've read]
In the Name of God (with extended ending)

Encore 1:
Trial of Tears

Encore 2:
Metropolis Part 1

Real Men play for nearly 3 hours each night!

i was at that gig as well ... cos i got some free tickets, i have to say, tho they are very good at there thing i really wasnt moved by them. and i felt the drummer tho very very talented his drum solo was piss poor ... but i had a really good night anyway, spent most of my time at the bar talking to random people.