Dynazty: Renatus is my most played disc of the year

So, I was able to listen to the Dynazty via Rhapsody (not the band). I've listened through at least twice so far and I'd compare their new direction in the vein of Nocturnal Rites. That's not a bad thing, because I'm a big fan of Rites.

This will be a buy for me asap. :kickass:

~Brian~

I just bought a digital copy of Sultans Of Sin...definitely different from Renatus, but man, these guys are legit. Great songwriting, and the singer is one of the best I've heard in quite a while....he's pretty frikkin' amazing. Like I said earlier, I'm really glad I checked out this thread!

The song that's grabbing me right now isn't "Starlight" but "Salvation". Love the chorus and a showcase for the vocalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need "Orvam" is by far the best disc of the year. Also was top three performance at ProgPower.

In saying that, Dynazty is definitely a good cd. Haven't spent much time with it yet, but I plan to.

I would have to agree, Need is an amazing album & also currently my album of the year. Great bunch of guys, spent hours with them this year at the fest.
Having said that, Dynazty is a band that has always been in the traditional metal vein of things with some prog/ power leanings. I still need to give this new album full attention to declare anything insightful.

Rock on!

I definitely like the album, it's catchy and fun, but I don't quite understand the album of the year hype it's getting. Maybe it just hasn't clicked right with me yet.

Zod is right. I liked it when I put in the car right after returning from PP....but now....weeks later, I love it! I am going to have to force myself to take it out soon as there is so much new music I need to hear, not to mention their other albums. This is one set next year that I will not miss!

^^^They definitely crossed some kind of line at 3:23. Not sure what that was about, but okay...

This album really grew on me after repeated listens. Nothing will supplant Orvam as my favorite this year, but damn if this one isn't close behind, maybe my second best. It's got way too much energy and positivity to ignore.

^^^They definitely crossed some kind of line at 3:23. Not sure what that was about, but okay...

I watched the whole video anticipating what might happen at 3:23. It made me cackle like a weirdo when I saw it. Why they put that in for aproximately 1 second then carried on like nothing happened is beyond me lol.

Check out this drum cam for the song Starlight. No double-bass in Dynazty, just another technique of playing, that just sounds like there is double-bass. Quite impressive IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
This band has QUICKLY become a big-time favorite of mine. Renatus is flat out amazing, but I'll be damned if Sultans Of Sin is not one of THE BEST hard rock/metal albums I've ever heard. In my opinion, this album stands head and shoulders above the likes of Eclipse, The Poodles, Gotthard....and I LOVE all of these bands. Dynazty's "Bring The Thunder" is really impressive as well.....I gotta hunt down a copy of "Knock You Down". If these guys were releasing this stuff 25 years ago, there's no reason why they couldn't have been one of the biggest bands around.

Check out this drum cam for the song Starlight. No double-bass in Dynazty, just another technique of playing, that just sounds like there is double-bass. Quite impressive IMO.

Yeah. It's pretty cool and fairly rare. The technique is called "gong" bass drum or suspended bass drum. Lots of drummers use them...Peart, Portnoy, Mangini and Simon Phillips spring immediately to mind as prominent examples. However, most drummers use them for effects...like a big huge bass drop sound or powerful flams or as an 'extra' bass drum sound for performing really complex triplets and quads. Simon Phillips uses it to create a bass drum roll when he solos. However, Georg is pretty unique in using it as a substitute for a left foot kick or a double pedal. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the video.

P.S. It also gave me a heads up that I might wanna drop him an e-mail regarding his Prog Power setup. ;-)

I'll be damned if Sultans Of Sin is not one of THE BEST hard rock/metal albums I've ever heard. In my opinion, this album stands head and shoulders above the likes of Eclipse

giphy.gif

:D SoS was a harmless throwback to hair metal, Scream & Bleed is a work of art.

I gave this album another shot. The music is high energy. It's fun. The lyrics are a god-awful cliched mess. Is there no other possible way to articulate the same old power metal crap?

It's kinda the exact opposite of the Evergrey album. The lyrics are in general, quite good. The songwriting though is uninspired, plodding and just not fun or engaging to listen to at all.

This band has QUICKLY become a big-time favorite of mine. Renatus is flat out amazing, but I'll be damned if Sultans Of Sin is not one of THE BEST hard rock/metal albums I've ever heard. In my opinion, this album stands head and shoulders above the likes of Eclipse, The Poodles, Gotthard....and I LOVE all of these bands. Dynazty's "Bring The Thunder" is really impressive as well.....I gotta hunt down a copy of "Knock You Down". If these guys were releasing this stuff 25 years ago, there's no reason why they couldn't have been one of the biggest bands around.

Glad to see someone appreciate Sultans Of Sin for the masterpiece it is!