Electrician

RedStorm

Death has come
Apr 30, 2014
somewhere in the milky way
So I am turning 18 in September and am getting help from my dad and this company to help train me as an electrician. Now obviously they have some contract shit saying they can hire me out for the first year, as in I cant apply anywhere else (dont know why I would).

Any already electricians here? Any advice?

So I am turning 18 in September and am getting help from my dad and this company to help train me as an electrician. Now obviously they have some contract shit saying they can hire me out for the first year, as in I cant apply anywhere else (dont know why I would).

Any already electricians here? Any advice?

Not an electrician but I took 3 years of electronics and lived with an electrician student for a year or two. #1 practice your math skills, you will need a good bit of algebra and some basic matrix algebra. #2 start studying now, watch youtube videos, read books from the library, etc. #3 get some electronics project kits and build them. They'll come in a bag with all of the components you need, and a circuit design and maybe some crude instructions. Start with something simple just learn to read the circuit designs with all the symbols and get familiar with soldering. work your way up into intermediate and so on. you'll need some tools like a soldering iron, wire strippers, clippers, connectors, wire ties, and it won't hurt to have a bunch of spare electronics parts lying around like resistors and capacitors and extra wire. Practice a lot and learn, you can learn from anyone when you're just starting out

I worked for a master electrician that owned his own company for a couple years. I gave up on it because I felt uncomfortable working on scaffolding and around shit that would literally kill me if I fucked up.

Here's the reality, you're going to go in as an apprentice doing bitch work. You're going to pull wire, you're going to carry shit, you might wire up simple things like outlets or maybe a fire alarm or something, or if you're really unlucky... you might get handed a shovel to dig ditches for conduit.

Reactions: zerostatic
I worked for a master electrician that owned his own company for a couple years. I gave up on it because I felt uncomfortable working on scaffolding and around shit that would literally kill me if I fucked up.

Here's the reality, you're going to go in as an apprentice doing bitch work. You're going to pull wire, you're going to carry shit, you might wire up simple things like outlets or maybe a fire alarm or something, or if you're really unlucky... you might get handed a shovel to dig ditches for conduit.
I hear you, but on average how many things can you do in the job that would kill you? a lot?

Not an electrician but I took 3 years of electronics and lived with an electrician student for a year or two. #1 practice your math skills, you will need a good bit of algebra and some basic matrix algebra. #2 start studying now, watch youtube videos, read books from the library, etc. #3 get some electronics project kits and build them. They'll come in a bag with all of the components you need, and a circuit design and maybe some crude instructions. Start with something simple just learn to read the circuit designs with all the symbols and get familiar with soldering. work your way up into intermediate and so on. you'll need some tools like a soldering iron, wire strippers, clippers, connectors, wire ties, and it won't hurt to have a bunch of spare electronics parts lying around like resistors and capacitors and extra wire. Practice a lot and learn, you can learn from anyone when you're just starting out
Question on the math. Is it simple algebra? Ill be ending senior year with Algebra 3. Also what is "Matrix" algebra?

I will look into those kits.

Thanks for the advice.

Question on the math. Is it simple algebra? Ill be ending senior year with Algebra 3. Also what is "Matrix" algebra?

I will look into those kits.

Thanks for the advice.

More like matrix arithmetic really. How to add, subtract multiply matrices. How to find the determinant and inverse of a small matrix. Yeah that should be enough algebra. You need to be able to solve for a variable in a simple equation dealing with resistors and capacitors. This is just all for the classes on electronics though. On the job I have no idea, you probably won't be using much of this unless you get into designing your own circuits. It can't hurt to know how the math of things work before you touch them though.

You should know Ohm's Law and the like certainly. And how to read the markings and color bands on components. Hey this resistor is fried and it was 60 ohms on a 120V circuit. There's still a 20 ohm resistor on it though. If I touch this wire I'm going to take how big of a shock? Pretty useful to know. Know series and parallel formulas. Know what each component does, resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, inductors, transformers,...

Matrices are so fucking boring. Thank God I don't have to teach that shit.

Obviously calculus is amazing and you should learn it for fun anyway.

You know it's a common thing to do calculus on matrices? Where did you stop? Jacobians, Hessians etc

I know that, but you were referring to matrix arithmetic, which is boring as fuck. I remember doing Jacobians, I then avoided any module in my final year that had any mention of matrices haha.

To be clear, I'm more of an applied mathematician than a pure one. My favourite modules were Partial Differential Equations, Relativity, Complex Variable and Waves. On the pure front I did graph theory and linear algebra, which I detested.

Last edited:
Interesting. Yeah I deal with matrices every day in statistics. It's not a big deal since I write programs to handle them for me. They're pretty important for dealing with high dimensional anything. I guess depending on your applied route the max you'd see is a 4x4 or so. Earlier today I was working on a small data set with a 36x36