Electronic Music: VSTi of choice?

Depends on the style, but ReFX Nexus and Native Instruments Reaktor are my go-to VSTis for electronic music.

Nexus has all the Typical, rave/techno matrix type shit. It's got alot of rythmic tempo syncing patches and has a very simple way to edit the rhythm pulse of each patch.
Probably wins in the easiest to use VS. quality sound ratio.

Massive is excellent synth but very very in depth. That would be more for creating sounds from scratch.
FM8 and Absynth are pretty cool as well.

Also if you use any of this information I have provided to make shitty core music with a techno break down, I will kill you.

Been ages since I used a synth but the Linplug Albino was the undisputed king of pads for me, atmospheric, lush and musical as fuck.

NI do a good job with synths in general, the Absynth is a beast, and so are the others.

You gotta figure out what you want really, subtractive, additive, FM, virtual-analog...lotsa kinds of synthesis out there,a nd they all sound different.

Also if you use any of this information I have provided to make shitty core music with a techno break down, I will kill you.

Hahaha!!
I was thinking something more along the lines of death metal with electronic stuff.. not techno. It's not really a great example, but like The Berserker. :kickass:

I don't really know much about the subgenres of electronic music, really.. at all.. lol
I plan on experimenting with sounds until I find something I like. If it's a subgenre, cool. If I invent something new, cooler!

Thanks for all the contributions, guys!

All the Native instruments stuff is good, get the free players for a good try out of what they can do.

ReFX - Again most of their stuff is great

TC Powercore with Access Virus

Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Korg Legacy Collection (i love the M1)

Arturia

If you want free stuff go look at the KVR VST forum its pretty much the best collection of information on the web for vst synths

Nexus is good if you want zero originality and extremely polished sounds from the top. The plugin does sound great, but you can't tweak the sounds almost at all.

I mostly use Alchemy and Massive. Both go very deep into synthesis and allow you to make practically any kind of synth sound, but I've found the presets useful in both of them as well.

There's a free version of Alchemy called Alchemy Player, check it out. If you're not too much into tweaking the simple player will get you far, you can even expand it with the Alchemy addon packs, which often have great preset sounds.

I recommend at least keeping an eye on Camel Audio, they've got some insane offers every now and then. I've bought all my stuff from them for half the price at maximum. And I own like 10 of their titles if you count the addon packs :D

Dimension Pro - My favorite ROMpler. It has all the "standard" sounds, orchestra, piano, brass, organs, and also a boatload of great synth sounds, pads, atmospheric sounds, SFX and more. I like it more than Sampletank, Nexus and all the other romplers.

Sylenth1 - The best sounding synth out there, and most people agree on that :)

I also love ImpOscar and Minimonsta, they sound great and are fun to use.