Essential Prog Rock

Genesis at their best were able to rock really hard when they felt like doing so... not in that headbanging, moshpit kind of way, but with sheer intensity. "The Musical Box", "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight", "The Knife", "Dance On The Volcano"...

Yngvai X - no that was not an assult on ones testostrone level. For my age group from 70-76 the high school years 12-18 the boys were into Zep (not the girls) - Rush(not the girls) - Grand Funk (girls too), James Gang (girls too), Sabbath (not the girls, maybe gasp ...ironman), Uriah Heep (very few of us) Jethro Tull was not really beloved by the girls, Deep Purple (primarily boys), Humble Pie (boys), Alice Cooper (boys), Nugent (some cross over), Montrose (boys) ect. ect. ect. You can see the difference, we really went for the aggressive rockers and the girls needed more unaggressive even flow like the Who, Grand Funk, James Gang, Guess Who, Three Dog night or the Sourthern Rock bands. But lots of girls liked Genisis, Prochol Harum (sp?), Chicago, Bowie, Yes, ( I mean we all liked "Round About" but it kicked). ELP was a bit over the top for most of us. Now Im sure the more mature college crowd liked Yes, ELP and Genesis but we were, say like ... the first head bangers for lack of a better word. To this day I still find guys only 5-10 years older than me, even those close to my age that just dont like heavy music, distorted guitars, pounding beats with vocalists that "scream" as they used to say (now look at whats going on today ........ gasp ! )

Its not much different today I believe, you really wont find alot of ladies at metal shows, its a guy thing primarily. Im not saying its 100%, just simply "typical". Now as Ive matured I buy old ELP CD's, bought the Chicago CD's my sister used to have on vinyl, still no Yes or Genisis but maybe someday, they are way down on the list. My sister had Close to the Edge on vinyl and I gave it a try a few times and just couldnt catch a groove and didnt like the singing.

Our girls didnt like Fusion at all, maybe the softer bands like Weather report, Chuch Mangione (sp?), Tropea, all stuff closer to early smooth jazz, but put Billy Cobhams Spectrum, Mahavishnu, or Al DiMeola on the stereo, crank it up and leave the room, next thing you'd know Lynard Skynard would be playing. They could tolerate The Dregs ... "but theirs no singing". You get the point.

I'll disagree with you a little bit about the technical approach of bands like ELP, Yes, even Rush and in a way later Zep (which everyone mostly liked). Yes, ELP and even Rush to some degree were getting a bit technical and were quite musically advanced. Then I believe IMO that Kansas up'd that bar and even then that was a guy thing.

I agree there has been a steady advancement in progressive music but as I said somewhere else before when I first heard Images and Words all I could think was this is like , ELP, Rush, Kansas and The Dregs meets Metalica, Maiden, Queensryche and Fates Warning in a very modern and extreme technical approach. Yes indeed much like the classic composers would have approached modern music or heavy metal. Then with the mid 90's works of Savatage, Fates Warning and along comes Symphony X and I was hooked, line and sinker, on what was then modern progressive "heavy metal" ..... to bad I missed the whole thing by 3-5 years thinking it had all gone down the tubes to grunge, post grunge and nonsensical growlings into the mic suddenly became "heavy metal". Yep the generation gap finally hit in the ninetys and I fell out of the loop in dispare thinking the music had died and was busy getting on with "life". Now thanks to the computer this decade Im finding great music I had no idea was going on. Like just this year I ashamedly discovered Kamelot, Shadow Gallery and now, here, Ive been turned on to many others.

thank you very much -----> :headbang:

*sorry for the "books" I have an inherent need to not be misunderstood and as has been already seen in a few responces ....... this happens alot.

On a final note and in reference to origional topic

How about "BeBop Deluxe" I had heard of them but no one in my listening circle had their music. About two years ago I heard them for the first time on XM's Deep Tracks and they had a thing or two going on. Not the greatest vocals for my flavor but pretty deep guitar music.