Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind....

ingridjensen

from the shadows...
Mar 30, 2002
Kansas City
Hey all...

i know i havent been here in quite sometime, but I recently lost my job again so I will have more time to be around.......

Did anyone check out Kate and Jim's newest movie? If ya did, what did ya think?

Kate Winslet is my favorite personal actress and she was absolutley amazing in it. I couldnt wait to see it...I saw it on the 2nd showing of it last week when it started..

Jim Carey's role was serious this time, but def totally great..he is an awesome actor. I think I want to check it out one more time...and its been having some good reviews as well. :cool:

I reccomend everyone to check it out that has a interest in the psychology studies.

Yeah it was good. Good, not great. I dont know, I suppose I was expecting a bit more from Charlie Kaufman, I most definitely preferred Adaptation. The acting was good, no complains there, I just found it hard to believe that Elijah Wood and whoever that other nerdy looking actor was, didn't seem to fit their roles properly. I mean to do something complicated like erase memories I would think that the one dude at least should have been a bit older. Not that big of a concern though. I wonder if Kirsten Dunst's character ruined anyones life from sending out those tapes...:eek:

Well I would recommend seeing this movie to anyone who is thinking about going to go see it, its a great film, 1000 times better than Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. (I hated that one :erk: ).

yeah it was a brilliant film, a bit more accessible than adaptation, but still excellent. Charlie Kaufman is truly the only writer of any substance in American movies today. Oh he was on Charlie Rose last night- a interesting interview.

No. Enlighten me.

I'll do the honors, if you wouldn't mind.

I am a great admirer of Kaufman's work, and he's one of the few screenwriters that I can sincerely claim has never faltered to impress me. I recently saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," and I concur that it was a fascinating film. However, by no means is Kaufman the SOLE remarkable American screenwriter. If you've never heard of Todd Solondz, I can assure you that you're omitting an extraordinarily provocative filmography from your frame of reference. He's the dangerous talent behind "Happiness," which is unquestionably the most dialogically-poignant film I've ever encountered, as well as "Storytelling" and "Welcome to the Dollhouse"(a more notorious film probably due to the fact that it's more accessible, though still entailing that interesting Solondz-edge that defines his work). All three are excellent, though I would assert that he peaked with "Happiness." I highly recommend you view these films as soon as humanly possible.

In addition to Solondz, I would also recommend Neil LaBute, a filmmaker that's infamous for his viciously-wicked satires on human nature as well as...misogyny. He creates the kinds of films that evoke a certain distrust of humanity...dark comedies that are far too pessimistic to be humorous. I think Roger Ebert said it best in his review of Labute's "Your Friends and Neighbors," a film about unfaithful relationships, stating that "It's the kind of date movie that makes you want to go home alone." I would strongly recommend "Your Friends and Neighbors," as well as his earlier work, entitled "In the Company of Men."

Beyond that, I'll list a few other interesting American screenwriters off of the top of my head rather than delving into lengthy dissertations pertaining to them:
Paul Thomas Anderson-"Hard Eight," "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia," "Punch-Drunk Love"

Joel Coen and Ethan Coen(The Coen Brothers)-"Fargo," "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?," "The Man Who Wasn't There," "The Big Lebowski"

Darren Aronofsky-"Pi," and "Requiem for a Dream"

Jim Jarmusch-"Stranger than Paradise," "Down By Law"

Kevin Smith-No filmography required, if you haven't heard of him, you must have been living under a rock for the past decade.

Quentin Tarantino-See above.

Larry Clark-"Kids," "Another Day in Paradise," and "Bully"

Terry Zwigoff-"Crumb," "Ghost World."

Richard Linklater-"Slacker"(not to be confused with "Slackers"), "Dazed and Confused," "Before Sunrise," and "Waking Life."

...That's roughly all I can conceive of from my immediate memory.Investigate their films if you haven't aready done so.

I like that movie. Sad and sweet. :)

No offense Disciple of Plato, but most of those writers on your list I dont care for at all; the rest I have never had the pleasure to actually view one of their movies. I dont like Tarantino or Kevin Smith at all. Ive heard of Neil La Bute but ive never seen one of his movies. I like the Coens, but they havent done anything decent in a while(since Lebowski)- O Brother was amusing, not great.

Oh and Aronofsky is a excellent director, but his adaptation of Requeim for a Dream was a bit extreme if you ask me- heroin is a hell of a powerful drug, but gangrene and amputation, and the crazed mother on diet pills. It just seems to me he sensationalized th story when he didnt have to.

i have to say I liked Requiem for a Dream, but I always wanted to see it again and I still havent. Im gonna have to get it and rent it.