Evergrey Discography Question

Metal_Camden

Sep 25, 2009
So to be completely honest, I haven't really taken a serious sit down with the discography so I'm very unfamiliar... I think I have listened to Recreation Day only.

I do know that I like the song "touch of blessing" and also the popular song "blinded".

Is there any quick picks of songs that are like these? These are full of pretty cool riffs.

The Masterplan
Misled
More Than Ever
The Great Deceiver
End Of Our Days
Recreation Day
Harmless Wishes
Solitude Within
Nosferatu
The Curtain Fall
Monday Morning Apocalypse
Leave It Behind Us

Some of my favorites.

Evergrey's early catalog rules. Basically as you move backwards from The Inner Circle, the style stays essentially the same but the music increases slightly in complexity. You'll probably notice right away that while In Search of Truth is unmistakably the same band that did Recreation Day, the guitars are a notch or two busier. The high point of their early style is probably the album Solitude Dominance Tragedy, but there's nary a dud in the first four. (Inner Circle is actually the first one that I don't like, except for the song Touch of Blessing which is a home run.)

Their heaviest, grooviest, most "modern metal" (and in my opinion their best) is The Inner Circle. Definitely get that. Recreation Day and In Search Of Truth are mandatory too I'd say, but everything else varies as per your mileage with the band I'd say.

Wouldn't you know that "In Search of Truth" is not a CD that I own. I was completely mesmerized by the ISOT performance and would like to purchase the CD, but I am curious if there are more than one versions out there (i.e. reissue with extra tracks, etc) or if there is only one release of it. Can anybody help with this?

Definitely do NOT start with their first record.

I'd do it in this order (just my opinion):

In Search of Truth
The Inner Circle
Recreation Day
Glorious Collision / Torn / Solitude Dominance Tragedy
The Dark Discovery
Monday Morning Apocalypse

And if you want it easier, just grab their Live DVD. That's one of the perfect setlists up to that point in their career imo.

Wouldn't you know that "In Search of Truth" is not a CD that I own. I was completely mesmerized by the ISOT performance and would like to purchase the CD, but I am curious if there are more than one versions out there (i.e. reissue with extra tracks, etc) or if there is only one release of it. Can anybody help with this?

Not that I know of, but the way stuff is getting rematered lately, it wouldn't surprise me if it exists. I really don't remember ever hearing about one, and since it's my favorite EG disc, I'd think I would have bought it, or at least remember hearing about a reissue....

It's best to sit down and listen to the complete catalog to get a good understanding of all songs. Hard/heavy/soft/weak whatever. You can make your own conclusion. Be sure though you will not be sorry that you did.

In Search of Truth is by far the best thing they've ever done. It's their most progressive, emotional, technical record.

Personally I've gotten the least mileage out of Glorious Collision (blasphemy in these parts, I know).

I would heartily recommend starting with either The Inner Circle or In Search of Truth. Then Recreation Day, then Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy with Torn close on its heels. The Dark Discovery, while good, is a very raw iteration of their sound, so I wouldn't start there unless you're interested in the chronological approach for its novelty. Monday Morning Apocalypse is what most consider their weakest album, but it's still good.

Their heaviest, grooviest, most "modern metal" (and in my opinion their best) is The Inner Circle. Definitely get that. Recreation Day and In Search Of Truth are mandatory too I'd say, but everything else varies as per your mileage with the band I'd say.

I agree with this. The Inner Circle is their best one IMO (A Touch Of Blessing is my fave Evergrey song), followed closely by Recreation Day and In Search Of Truth.

My least faves are the 1st 2 ones.

Torn is a fine disc for the most part. Monday Morning Apocalypse is kinda different but has some excellent tracks on it, and also some lesser ones.

I'm not totally crazy about Glorious Collision for some reason. All the ingredients seem to be there for me to like it, but it didn't really click so far.

ISOT/Recreation Day/Inner Circle is pretty much my holy trifecta from these guys - I have random tracks from the other albums in my playlist, but these three are the ones that get spun on a regular basis.