Evergrey

Lycanthrope

Mar 25, 2003
MD, USA
I love this band. I have their first three albums, but am ashamed to say that I haven't yet gotten their newest one, Recreation Day. I just ordered it from www.lasercd.com. Anyone have it? If so, what do you think?

Recreation Day is awesome. I also have the two before that but have yet to find Dark Discovery anywhere. I am highly impressed with Evergrey and am thinking of going to the BW&BK six pack weekend in Cleveland just to see them. Of course, Nevermore won't hurt that show either...

Psychonaut said:
Recreation Day is awesome. I also have the two before that but have yet to find Dark Discovery anywhere. I am highly impressed with Evergrey and am thinking of going to the BW&BK six pack weekend in Cleveland just to see them. Of course, Nevermore won't hurt that show either...
DD is definitely hard to find. I got mine from lasercd.com, but they no longer seem to have it. Weird.

Anyway, I'd be happy to send you some mp3s if you want. Just post your email addy or send it to me in a PM, if you're interested.

I may take you up on that. I have it on order with metaldisc.com and it's currently backordered. If I have to wait much longer, I'm going to have to take other steps to get it. I haven't even seen it on ebay yet which is odd.

Dark Discovery is tough to find, true. I think I was lucky enough to grab lasercd's last copy--they removed it from thier listings after I ordered it.

Recreation Day is an amazing follow-up to In Search of Truth--one of the best concept albums in history, IMO. I'm still debating, but I might even put it above the legendary Operation: Mindcrime. It certainly doesn't take a back seat to ANY album in my collection, and I own over 2,000 CDs.

--S

Does anyone else find the lyrics to "In search of truth" stupid and annoying. It's partly the way he sings some of the time I guess. There a pretty good band but theres nothing great about the concepts.

I wouldn't say the concept itself is earth shattering but the presentation as a whole is incredible. This from a guy who does not like prog that much. Dream Theater annoys the hell out of me and I find Spock's Beard and Enchant boring. There's only a couple of songs that I enjoy by Vanden Plas also. Evergrey definately kicks ass, though.

simonc2 said:
Does anyone else find the lyrics to "In search of truth" stupid and annoying. It's partly the way he sings some of the time I guess. There a pretty good band but theres nothing great about the concepts.

hmmmm....I found ISOT to be incredibly dynamic and powerful. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if you think it's stupid because of the subject matter, then I'm guessing you didn't understand the concept.

Lots of people think ISOT is about aliens.....it's not.

--S

Soul_Schizm said:
hmmmm....I found ISOT to be incredibly dynamic and powerful. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if you think it's stupid because of the subject matter, then I'm guessing you didn't understand the concept.

Lots of people think ISOT is about aliens.....it's not.

--S
It's not about aliens? :err:
Seemed pretty clear to me that the concept was about a specific individual's repeated abduction and subjectivity to experimental procedures by alien beings. As the story progresses, he struggles to understand what is happening to him and why. I thought it was pretty straight forward, but maybe I missed something.

I'm curious to know what your take on the concept is.

Lycanthrope said:
It's not about aliens? :err:
Seemed pretty clear to me that the concept was about a specific individual's repeated abduction and subjectivity to experimental procedures by alien beings. As the story progresses, he struggles to understand what is happening to him and why. I thought it was pretty straight forward, but maybe I missed something.

I'm curious to know what your take on the concept is.

Certainly, I'd be glad to give you my take.

After listening to the CD many times, it's clear to me that the story is about a person's struggle against mental illness. The true charm of the story comes from the fact that, near the end, he begins to understand that the abductions are in his head.

One of my favorite sections of the album is the tape-recorded section of "Different Worlds". He's struggling against aliens, overcome with fear, but there isn't anything there. It's just him, alone. And the words: "my keepers are what you would call fiction."

--S