Evolution of your metal Tastes

RedStorm

Death has come
Apr 30, 2014
somewhere in the milky way
Mine went basically went from Led zeppelin, metallica and megadeth, to old school Death metal, then i found black metal, and its never been the same since

also how many years?

for me its been almost 2

Hard rock, to ozzy, to dream theater, to Metallica and megadeth, to symphony x and classical music, to tech thrash, to thrash, to death and doom.

But I still enjoy all of the stops along the way also.

I still love the stuff I started out with, one of my guilty pleasures (80s pop/rock).

In the beginning it was Michael Jackson's Thriller (damn straight), Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, Rockwell.

That led to Night Ranger, Starship, Steve Miller, Motley Crue, Def Leppard.

Then things kicked up to Dokken, and the first real "wtf" moment was a buddy who brought Metallica's Ride the Lightning cassette, which we jammed to in the big ol boom box, while riding our BMX bikes in the street haha.

From there it was everything Metal, obscure to mainstream - we checked it all out. Some of the stepping stones would probably be albums like Fifth Angel - S/T, King Diamond - Abigail, Queensryche - Rage for Order, David Lee Roth - Eat Em and Smile, Malice, Sword, Forbidden, Testament, Cacophony, Helloween - we weren't so much into the Cannibal Corpse super grind type stuff.

It took me a while to appreciate the "cookie monster" stuff but Opeth's Still Life was a big player in that. Symphony X - Damnation Game, Threshold - Psychedelecatessan, Stratovarius - Dreamspace were a few that started my "new era" evolution... so much killer stuff out there, much more than there was in the 80s/90s.

Reactions: RedStorm
Grew up with parents listening to Rush, Skynyrd, Krokus, and other acts of their era. I did the Korn/Slipknot/Rammstein/Static-X thing. Moved on to Metallica/Slayer. Then Opeth who I can thank for opening doors. They don't interest me as much any more, but they do/did incorporate elements from many genres into their music which helped me branch out from there... (even to non-metal IE Camel) I've been firmly stuck in the atmoblack/blackened folk corner for a few years now and still enjoying it =D

Raised on Country, Blues and 50's Rock and Roll, that love evolved into Punk music and then when I was 14 a friend of mine got me into some Metal, that year I purchased my first three Metal albums in one day, Eaten Back To Life, Scream Bloody Gore and Under A Funeral Moon.

Possessed ever since, though I don't listen to Cannibal Corpse anymore.

Started off with hard rock i used to listen to for my workouts - disturbed, saliva. moved into mainstream metal like bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage. Started to check out power metal like Blind Guardian, Lost Horizon, Symphony X, and thrash like early metallica. Eventually got into that. Began to graduate into bands like Amon Amarth and some other melo-death. Slowly started moving into death and black metal. Years later I'm here.

It took me a long time to really enjoy death and black metal. It was a while before I could sit through a whole album and really be like 'ya, this is awesome.' But it always had some amazing appeal to me - the names, concepts, lyrics, titles, etc... were just so fucking cool, so much better than all the other shit out there that I kept listening to it, and I'm so glad I did.

Van Halen --> Disturbed --> Bullet for my Valentine/ Killswitch Engage --> Blind Guardian/Early Metallica --> Amon Amarth/Kalmah --> Death/Black (don't remember specific bands)

Been listening now to metal pretty consistently for about 5 years. I've taken breaks where i don't listen to it at all, but I always come back to it.

At very young age (4 or 5) I got into Iron Maiden, Slayer and Metallica thanks to my dad. The early "teen age" when I didn't know better, I listened to Bullet For My Valentine, Slipknot and Disturbed. After that it was pretty much like expanding my Heavy Metal and Thrash with Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate & King Daimond, Testament, Venom, Overkill, Destruction. Later I got into Death Metal with bands like Cannibal Corpse, Death, Amon Amarth, Dismember, At the Gates, (early) In Flames, Behemoth, Suffocation and Immolation. Last but not least I got into Black Metal with bands like Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone and Gorgoroth. But nowadays Death Metal is pretty much the only sub-genre which keeps my interest..

During my childhood, I mainly heard music from the '60s-'90s from my dad. The first metal bands that I liked were Black Sabbath and Slayer. I got into black metal and traditional doom metal through people on another site but I didn't like a lot of the other bands that people recommended in other styles like stoner doom and metalcore, so I avoided those genres of music and have never gotten into them. I used to listen to some other bands like Agalloch and Alcest too. I actually still like both bands just a bit.

When I got to this site, I apparently impressed Dodens because he spent a long time trying to help me learn about traditional metal, doom metal and death metal. MalignParadigm also helped me find some great bands. I think that fact that I was already listening to black metal helped me enjoy a wide variety of other musical styles.

Outside of metal, my other music tastes have been constant for almost two decades and I think some artists such as Swans helped me get into heavier music in the first place.

I've also never listened to nu-metal or similar music by choice, but I know that a lot of people did and that it was a gateway for them. I don't look down on that.

Who says my tastes evolved? Maybe they were created by the gods of metal. I think we should teach the controversy.

this is off topic.

i don't really follow all the metal news shit but i just realized how fucking retarded Dave mustaine is. I like megadeths music more the the others among the like but Dave is all over the place at once, its like he has no sense of self awareness