Fallujah..anyone? Atmospheric Death Metal of the highest caliber

We can agree to disagree on this point. I think the sound clarity, compared to Sneap production, couldn't be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

By the way, I think the music is actually quite superb.

Sneap let a few bad drum edits slip through on the last TESTAMENT record. that is the kind of stuff I find annoying as hell.

Thought the first album was terrible, but this new one sounds like a modern day Lykathea Aflame with some Cynic thrown in. Love it, even in spite of the terrible production.

Sneap let a few bad drum edits slip through on the last TESTAMENT record. that is the kind of stuff I find annoying as hell.
That's not something I would likely ever pick up on. For me, production is more about the whole. What I'm looking for is, can I hear all the instruments, do each of the instruments have the right balance in the mix, and does the overall presentation work for the band's sound and style.

No. I already hated their band name, and upon hearing their music, it just sounds like washed-out modern extreme metal with bad production. I wish this kind of thing would go away.

no idea what 'washed out extreme metal' is, but if that's what Fallujah is then I love it :headbang:

I think the review falls short a bit, because it fails to call out the high quality of the actual songs. If the production was stellar, it would be one of the best death metal records of the year. Granted, it's hard to connect with the songs when the production restrains them, as it does here.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what this band does next. They've heard the criticism of this record and I find it hard to believe they will double-down on this overly compressed sound. Hopefully they'll deliver something akin to this musically, but with a better mix / master.

FALLUJAH LAUNCH “MAKING OF DREAMLESS” VIDEO TRAILER SERIES; PART 1 STREAMING

"...Progressive death metal masters, Fallujah, will release their third full-length album, entitled Dreamless, on April 29th via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. The band have launched a “making of” video trailer series. Check out Part 1 below..."

fallujahalbumfeb.jpg

Unhallowed Resurrection MMXVI tour dates with The Black Dahlia Murder, Disentomb are listed below:

April
8 - Dayton, OH - Oddbody's Music Room
9 - Morgantown, WV - 123 Pleasant Street
10 - Lemoyne, PA - The Champ
12 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Loft
13 - Burlington, VT - Higher Ground (Side Room)
14 - Amityville, NY - Amity Music Hall
15 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium (New England Metal & Hardcore Fest)
16 - Brooklyn, NY - Knitting Factory
17 - Philadelphia, PA - The Voltage Lounge
18 - Virginia Beach, VA - Shaka's Live
19 - Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506
20 - Spartanburg, SC - Ground Zero
21 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
22 - Jacksonville, FL - Jack Rabbits
23 - Orlando, FL - The Social
24 - Gainesville, FL - High Dive
26 - Tallahassee, FL - 926 Lounge (formally Pug's)
27 - Birmingham, AL - Zydeco
28 - Pensacola, FL - Vinyl
29 - Houston, TX - Eastdown
30 - Austin, TX - Mohawk

May
1 - Lubbock, TX - Jake's Sports Cafe
3 - Albuquerque, NM - Blu Phoenix Venue
4 - Tucson, AZ - Club XS
5 - Phoenix, AZ - Rebel Lounge
6 - Las Vegas, NV - Divebar
7 - Anaheim, CA - Chain Reaction
8 - Glendale, CA - The Complex
9 - Bakersfield, CA - Jerry's Pizza
10 - Fresno, CA - Strummers
11 - San Francisco, CA - Brick and Mortar Music Hall
12 - Sacramento, CA - Boardwalk
13 - Portland, OR - The Analog Cafe and Theatre
14 - Spokane, WA - The Big Dipper
15 - Boise, ID - Mardi Gras
16 - Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court
18 - Grand Junction, CO - Mesa Theatre
20 - Sioux Falls, SD - The District
21 - Des Moines, IA - Vaudeville Mews
22 - Madison, WI - Frequency
23 - Chicago, IL - Beat Kitchen
24 - St. Louis, MO - Fubar
25 - Indianapolis, IN - Emerson Theater
26 - Grand Rapids, MI - Pyramid Scheme
27 - Kent, OH - The Outpost
28 - Howell, MI - Bled Fest

I went through the old comments on this one, and I really just can't tell what you guys are talking about. I liked this album from the get-go and thought it was a huge step up from their debut album, which I actually quite liked. I have been in bands that have put out albums, and just don't know all the jargon for production, recording, or mastering. All I hear are cool riffs, unique compositions, and something that is interesting to listen to.

Unless it's something hilariously bad like St. Anger, or if it sounds like the production on those old early 90s Darkthrone albums, I just can't tell when someone says "the production sucks" on certain things. To my ears it's all superfluous nonsense, like once you get to CD-quality .mp3 files, I can't tell a difference in the HD super-audio versions certain people pay extra for.

Fallujah tapped to be the opener on the Devin Townsend Project / Behind The Buried And Me tour in the fall:

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME ANNOUNCE TRANSCENDING THE COMA TOUR FALL CO-HEADLINING TOUR; MORE DTP DATES CONFIRMED

"...Two of progressive metal's most influential bands will join forces for the Transcending The Coma Tour this fall: Between The Buried and Me and Devin Townsend Project have plotted a co-headlining run, with Fallujah as support. Tickets will be on sale on Friday, May 20th at 10 AM, local time online or through local venue ticket outlets...."

betweentourmay.jpg

September
9 - Nashville, TN - Marathon Music Works
10 - Charleston, SC - Music Farm * no DTP
11 - Orlando, FL - The Plaza
12 - Charlotte, NC - Amos' Southend
13 - Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore Silver Spring
15 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre Of Living Arts
16 - New York, NY - Playstation Theater
17 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium +Sabaton
21 - Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
22 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
23 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues
24 - Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection
25 - Louisville, KY - Mercury Ballroom
27 - New Orleans, LA - The Joy Theater
29 - Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Live

October
5 - San Francisco, CA - The Regency Ballroom
6 - Los Angeles, CA - The Novo
7 - Tempe, AZ - The Marquee
8 - Las Vegas, NV - Brooklyn Bowl * no DTP
9 - Sacramento, CA - Ace of Spades
11 - Boise, ID - Knitting Factory * no DTP
12 - Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory
13 - Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
14 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven

"...Meanwhile, Devin Townsend Project have also announced a string of dates prior to the above mentioned tour, also with support from Fallujah..."

devintourmay.jpg

September
2 - Hell Raiser Festival - Kelowna, BC
3 - The Gateway - Calgary, AB
4 - Starlite Room - Edmonton, AB
6 - Pyramid Cabaret - Winnipeg, MA
7 - Mill City Nights - Minneapolis, MN