Favorite Blind Guardian Album

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
I have both Nightfall in Middle Earth and Night at the Opera and I love them both. I'd like to get the entire Blind Guardian back-catalog over time and I was wondering which of their CDs to get next....any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks!:)

My favorite album from them is 'Imaginations From the Other Side'. There's something about this album that just exceeds the others in my ears! AMAZING album. I highly recommend getting it!

Imaginations From the Other Side, then Somewhere Far Beyond. Both are excellent albums. As far as Nightfall in Middle Earth goes, I get tired of hearing people who have no idea what the album is about saying negative things about it or downgrading it in any way. If you have never read the Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, then you still may be able to enjoy the excellent music on the album, but you can't know the depth of what it means. In my opinion it is one of the best albums I have ever heard, partly because the music on the album is fantastic, but also, because it is written on the skeleton of a history book, and manages to wrap the events and characters in fleshly sinew, so that you can know them. That is no small achievement.
A Night at the Opera so far seems great, I can't say if it is my favorite that they have done or not...I really enjoy it, but it may take another 100 or 2 listenings before I can say which I prefer, bloody that is a musically dense album. I would pretty much, though, recommend grabbing their stuff newest to oldest. They have had the same lineup since they started, and I think that has really helped them to consistently improve and mature in every aspect of their music. I find it almost amusing that they all but disavow their first couple of albums.

Blind Guardian is a great band. All of their albums have been satisfactory from battalions of fear to night at the opera. One of my all time favorite Guardian albums is imaginations from the otherside I would recommend that to be your next selection.

As far as songwriting, i would have to say "Nightfall..." is their strongest album, also in guitar work. The solos on Nightfall are the absolute epitome of progressive medeival music. The vocals are exceptionally well produced, and i'd have to say the title track, Nightfall, is Blind Guardian's best song. Imaginations From the Other Side would have to come in second though, because some songs off of that album are right there with Nightfall...the first two albums, "Battalions of Fear" and "Follow the Blind" seem to be more thrash oriented, with rougher sounding vocals, a little less melody, and chaotic drumming, which is all good, but a little bit more simplistic than BG's current style of writing material. Tales From the Twilight World is another of my favorites, the songs being very unique and yet still maintaining an appeal that is hard to ignore, if one tried. "Lord of the Rings" is classic and "Welcome to Dying" and "Born In a Mourning Hall" with Kai Hansen on guest vocals is also a treat from the realms of the white dragon...A NIght at the Opera is amazing as well, but i figured i'd comment on the older albums

in order

Nightfall in Middle Earth
A Night at the Opera
Imaginations From the Other Side
Tales from the Twilight World
Somewhere Far Beyond
Battalions of Fear
Follow the Blind

based on your tastes, I think you would like all their albums :D