Favorite supergroups, side projects, etc.

Probably one of the biggest supergroups of all time....ASIA!!!

GTR - Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett & Yes Guitarist Steve Howe.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

The Firm

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this new one....WHOCARES: Ian Gillan & Tony Iommi have recruited Jon Lord, former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted, Iron Maiden's Nicko McBrain and Linde Lindström for brand new band WHOCARES, and they release a their debut single on 6 May.

Cain's Offering (ex-Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, etc.)

What ever happened to these guys? I know that the "new" Stratovarius has worked on new material, so I guess Cain's Offering is on hiatus for the time being? I tried looking at their website but the domain is no longer valid. :confused:

What about this new one....WHOCARES: Ian Gillan & Tony Iommi have recruited Jon Lord, former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted, Iron Maiden's Nicko McBrain and Linde Lindström for brand new band WHOCARES, and they release a their debut single on 6 May.

Saw this vid the other day. Really looking forward to this....

Barry Goudreau- S/T (1980)

Brad Delp - Lead vocals (6 songs)
Fran Cosmo - Lead vocals (3 songs)
Barry Goudreau - guitars and bass
Sib Hashian - drums

I've always considered it as the 3rd Boston album.

Hadn't heard about this..talk about star power. Wow!

Cool selections - I always quite liked HSAS, should have done more albums:

o_O, that Cain's Offering was kind of a nice kick in the pants. I hadn't ever heard of that group before. I don't normally go for Kotipelto, but that was really good. Hell, I'm going to buy that album right now.

Also, maybe I missed it if someone said it already, but no love for Red Circuit? They're definitely up there for me. Avantasia is really cool. Liquid Tension Experiment. Warmen (I freaking love Warmen's work, he's just plain amazing). Does Ayreon count? Someone said Star One so I would imagine they do. If Redemption counts, they're definitely in there. Thought Chamber, for sure. They need to put out another album too. Supposedly they have one in work.

Would O.S.I. be considered a side project or supergroup? If so, then they'd top my list (doesn't hurt that Mikael Åkerfeldt made a guest appearance on one of their albums).

Yes! Not really yes as in answering your question, but yes as in YES, THE DEBUT WAS A MOST EXCELLENT RELEASE FROM A FEW MOST EXCELLENT DUDES IN OTHER BANDS!