Favourite Death Metal Vocalist?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I'm not really thinking of "Melodic Death", just pure death metal, who are your favourite vocalists?

I'd say Ross Dolan is a lasting favourite of mine, because it's deep and gutteral and yet evil sounding and easily understandable.

I also like the likes of Nile and Decapitated for a standard low roar, and Frank Mullen of Suffocation is another one I really like.

It baffles me how whenever I play some death metal to friends of mine (non-believers, hehe) they say they like the music and yet hate the vocals. I don't see why they're any more objectionable than the bilge that passes for vocal performances of their nu metal bands.

Anyway...favourites?

David Vincent, Peter Tägtgren, Tomas Lindberg, and Mikael Åkerfeldt. I'm starting to dislike most death vocals, but these dudes still rock my socks.

I'll second Ross Dolan, he sounds so evil and yet you can make out what he is saying.

My second favorite would be Frank Mullen of Suffocation, he is just so damn powerful, I like both his early style and later style. He is like another rhythmic instrument.

Some other I like:

David Vincent (Morbid Angel)...very harsh yet you can understand him
Lord Worm (Cryptopsy)...unpredictible...just like the music
Antti Boman (Demilich)...weird, very weird
Brett Hoffmann (Malevolent Creation)...harsh yet understandable
John Tardy (Obituary)...he sounds like he is dead...perfect
Matt Reese (Harakiri)...just has a badass voice

Spirit In Black said:
I'll second Ross Dolan, he sounds so evil and yet you can make out what he is saying.

My second favorite would be Frank Mullen of Suffocation, he is just so damn powerful, I like both his early style and later style. He is like another rhythmic instrument.

That's exactly how I feel in both cases.

Ross Dolan's voice is refreshing in that it's aggressive but also original, and actually gets across the lyrics which I actually find a lot more effective (given that the lyrics are great) than just grunts.

e.g.

"I hailed Mary...Over and over again
You've failed Mary
You've raped Mary...Over and over again"

Awesome delivery!

And I agree with your summary of Frank Mullen - a very percussive style, and I like the hoarse edge he gives it sometimes, if you know what I mean.

High On Maiden said:
And I agree with your summary of Frank Mullen - a very percussive style, and I like the hoarse edge he gives it sometimes, if you know what I mean.
exactly....he especially sounds that way live...sounds like a beast, not as easy to understand, but just sounds inhuman....I love it

I'd love to see Suffocation live!

As for the Psycroptic vocals - agreed! I saw them a month or two ago in London. IN fact I think even there they had a stand in vocalist for that tour, but they were inhuman!

Yeah, that wasn't their regular vocalist for that tour. And I also agree with the Psycroptic regular guy... he fucking owns. Also Dave Vincent, Corpsegrinder Fisher, Sherwood Webber and then a whole bunch of other guys who I wouldn't say are my favourites, but are still awesome, like the guy from Vader.

High On Maiden said:
I'd love to see Suffocation live!

I saw them a few weeks ago in Nitra, Slovakia. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I don't like vocals in metal, especially on CD's. In most cases, they ruin the listening experience for me.

Matthew Chalk - Psycroptic
Levi Fuselier - Disgorge
John Gallagher - Dying Fetus
Sven de Caluwe - Aborted
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Opeth
Erwin de Wit - Last Days of Humanity
Jon Vesano - Nile

Naggamanteh said:
I saw them a few weeks ago in Nitra, Slovakia. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I don't like vocals in metal, especially on CD's. In most cases, they ruin the listening experience for me.

What, ALL vocals in ALL metal? o_O

Funeral Portrait said:
Christ, I think it's about time I check out Aeternus...what album should I start with?
get these 3, all are amazing:

Beyond the Wandering Moon (my fave)
...And So the Night Became (considered by most as the band's best)
Dark Sorcery (debut EP)

everything after ASTNB is more similar to brutal death metal, whereas the three I listed are like blackened death metal with folk tendencies.

Vincent, Lindberg, Mikael, Cheesegrater... I mean, Corpsegrinder. Nokturno Culto on 'Soulside Journey'. Glen Benton on 'Legion'. How about Jeff Walker and Bill Steer from Carcass!? Umm... what's the singer from Grave's name? Him, either way.