Finally, I found some Devy that I like!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
SEX AND MOTHERFUCKING RELIGION!!!!

:worship:

Whoever loaded that baby up, thanks. (Zod I think it was you? In that case, I am kneeling before you with red kryptonite in hand).

Tell me more about this album. Who wrote the songs? Was it all Vai, or a collaboration effort with Townsend?

YOU GOTTA GO DOWN DEEP DOWN INTO THE PAIN!!!

That's the only Devin I've heard. It rocks. TM Stevens and Bozzio are on that album too, lots of really fun solos.

other than Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing (i think?) and City, I don't think i've heard any of this CANADIAN motherfucker's stuff either! I should.

I've heard everyone say his Vai stuff is awesome.

I've heard all his SYL stuff as well as his solo stuff. SYL just doesn't do much for me anymore. But Accelerated Evolution, Ocean Machine, and the magnificent Terria are all worth the dough. i can't stand Infinity, really.

I have no idea. :)

EDIT: That appears to be all.

His not Devy stuff:

- 2004Ayeron : The Human Equation (vocals on Day three and Eight)
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- 1998[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Skinny Puppy : Remix dystemper (guitar)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- 1998[/font]The Wildhearts : Anarchic airwaves (guitar)
- 1997Unit 187 : Stillborn (Mix)
- 1996Tribute to Judas Priest (guitar and vocals)
- 1996James Murphy : Convergence (vocals)
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- 1996[/font]Tribute to Rush : Working men (vocals)
- 1995TM stevens : Out of control (vocals scream effect)
- 1995Frontline Assembly : Hard wired (guitar)
- 1994Frontline Assembly : Millenium (guitar)
- 1993 Vai : sex and religion (vocals)

I think Devy just did the vocals for Sex and Religion, Vai wrote everything (someone correct me if im wrong). Damn good album, very true.

about five years ago I was at a party, and there was this guy with a sex and religion shirt on..

so I go up to him, and say "HELL YEAH man, awesome album!"

and he responds : "WOW!, someone else knows how damn good it is!"

and then me : "you betcha! man , devin townsend is so awesome on that album huh?"

and then he says "what?? that fucker almost ruins that album for me"

so I shake my head and walk away :err:

I remember buying that album when it came out, and nobody else was talking about. Even the magazines weren't really that excited about it. Vai has an instrumental track on that album that just makes me unload in my pants every time I hear it.

^^ Touching Tongues. Devin has vocals on the end of it, but there are no lyrics, just a melody. Beautiful stuff.

And I really like the very last track where Steve does the vocals. the piano is awesome and the guitar solo is one of Vai's very best. Incredibly epic.

And yes, from what I remember reading back then they did collaborate on material, with Vai leading the way of course...

Wish I had seen them live when they came thru.

Nate The Great said:
I remember buying that album when it came out, and nobody else was talking about. Even the magazines weren't really that excited about it. Vai has an instrumental track on that album that just makes me unload in my pants every time I hear it.
Really? I remember when it came out the video for Down Deep Into the Pain was on Headbanger's Ball for weeks on end, and Guitar for the Practicing Musician transcribed it. There was also at least one lengthy interview with Devin and Vai, I don't remember what mag though.

Yeah, there was the video and some tabs too.

I really liked this album and it's the only Devin-record that I like (maybe the Murphy too, but he only did one track there if I remember right). I also saw them live that year and Devin was playing the 2nd guitar and impressed me a lot.

Yeah, I mean, this record is 90% Steve Vai. If you don't like Vai, you won't like this album. If you don't like Devy, it could go either way.

This is Vai combining his rock/metal with his passion & warfare style playing. Non-stop guitar whixx with ADD. It's a beautiful thing. :D With that said, I'll always have a soft spot in my pants for his Lee Roth and Whitesnake material too, no matter how 80's it is.

His best stuff ever is still on "Sailing Ships" IMO. Damn, that is also one of Coverdale's finest moments.