Forward Thinking groups who play "Metal"

They aren't really metal, but I'd say that Brave is a pretty original group. I love their latest album, Searching For The Sun. Oh, and Michelle is an excellent vocalist, too. ;)

--Mike

Originally posted by OceanMech
basically, I'm asking for true "Porgressive" bands, as opposed to Dream Theater pseudo-technical wannabies

well, they aren't really billed as a metal band, and they're by no means new, but if you aren't familiar with Naked City, you should check out the self titled album or "Torture Garden". If you've heard any of John Zorn's other projects you might get an idea what to expect, but "Torture Garden" is just fucking insane. the closest band i can think to compare it to is Fantomas, which also belongs on this list from what I've heard of it, but it's way further out there than Fantomas in my opinion...
you'll probably have better luck finding Naked City under Jazz instead of metal, btw. also, Torture Garden may now only be available as a double album with "Leng Tch'e" (also by Naked City), which is unfortunately rather boring and probably only worth part of 1 listen, but it's worth it to get Torture Garden.

Ryan

Originally posted by JayKeeley
What do you mean by "metal"?

If you venture towards brutality, the new Nile album is just majestic. VERY progressive IMO.

I'd say that the venture toward brutality is a very safe bet given that his picture is of Immortal...

Ryan

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

Fleurety

Good call Jim. I second the Fleurety recommendation

As for my recommendations:

Aborym
Aghora
Arcane Sun
Geasa
Hollenthon
Pan Thy Monium
Sigh

Originally posted by OceanMech
who, mine???

Scorpius (the guy on the right) ISN"T REAL!!!. He's a TV show character. Brilliant Evil genius of a character, but fictional nonetheless.

be that as it may, the one on the left is Abbath of Immortal, am i wrong?

Ryan

Non metal progressive music? So basically prog-rock.

Magma
(Early) Genesis
Van Der Graf Generator
Pre-reunion King Crimson
Camel
Ephel Duaath
Amon Duul

All those groups are pretty old, but there are a couple newers progressive acts that really push the boundaries. Tarantual Hawk (progressive space-doom) and Yeti (Zeuhl metal?)

Originally posted by The Reverend
...there are a couple newers progressive acts that really push the boundaries. Tarantual Hawk (progressive space-doom)

Sounds interesting....the "space" bit is a little off putting though...the word Ayreon springs to mind.... :puke:

and Yeti (Zeuhl metal?)

What is Zeuhl metal?!! :D

Tarantula Hawk are a strange group, it's difficult to describe them by any means. Most don't use the word space, I chose to because they use a lot of weird synths and keyboards. The whole band is just a drummer, a bassist, and a keyboardist with no vocals. They only have one album out and it doesn't even have any songs listed, just two sides of music with no track breaks. And the last groove of the record loops so you have a hard time telling when it's even over. Very cool, but strange.

Zeuhl is a school of prog that french progfreaks Magma largely started, very jazz based but also choral and chaotic. Again, too difficult to describe.