Freedom Call recommendations?

Oct 4, 2007
Judging by the brief clip in the PPUSAXVII video, I was very impressed by the sound of Freedom Call. Can someone offer me some recommendations as to where to start with their catalog, so that I can be ready for their set a year from now?

Freedom Call fan for 13ish years.

They released a big double (triple, including the bonus CD) album a few years back called 'Ages of Light' which does a good job of summing up everything they had done from 1998-2013. I'd start there to get familiar with their more popular tracks/songs they're likely to play.

HOWEVER, they released which is, in my opinion, their best album - 'Beyond' - in 2014 and hoping to hear more from that. Title track and 'Paladin' are, again, two of my favorite songs they've EVER done.

I'm seeing them again in a few weeks. I think they're still doing the '666 Weeks Beyond Eternity' tour/setlist but maybe I can get some insight into ProgPower and let them know how pumped we all are for them to be playing :) :)

Freedom Call fan for 13ish years.

They released a big double (triple, including the bonus CD) album a few years back called 'Ages of Light' which does a good job of summing up everything they had done from 1998-2013. I'd start there to get familiar with their more popular tracks/songs they're likely to play.

HOWEVER, they released which is, in my opinion, their best album - 'Beyond' - in 2014 and hoping to hear more from that. Title track and 'Paladin' are, again, two of my favorite songs they've EVER done.

I'm seeing them again in a few weeks. I think they're still doing the '666 Weeks Beyond Eternity' tour/setlist but maybe I can get some insight into ProgPower and let them know how pumped we all are for them to be playing :) :)

What us the bonus CD? it does not show up on Amazon.

What us the bonus CD? it does not show up on Amazon.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I could've sworn it was a 3 CD thing with the first two being Ages of Light and the third being the Masqueraded CD. But it's not. . .all of their material is on that first (super long) CD.

The second is the "bonus" CD with all the different versions of their songs.

While some are better than others, I haven't heard a Freedom Call album I didn't like (to be fair, I haven't heard Legend of the Shadowking or Land of the Crimson Dawn, but the songs from those I've heard are great). I think the common opinion is that their first 3 are their best and the new one is a great return to form. I'd agree with that and say you can't go wrong with any of them, but I would also throw in a vote for The Circle of Life, which is easily my favourite of theirs. It's a bit different in that it's not quite as excessively cheesy, but the songs are incredible. The only problem with that album is half of the song titles could be ripped from other power metal bands, but the songs stand on their own.

Having toured with FC a couple of times in Europe and seen the band on many occasions as a fan I can honestly tell you you will get a first rate show, guaranteed to leave you with a smile on your face at the end of the set.

I'll be seeing them in again in London next month and I'll be sure to mention to Chris and the guys how pumped everyone is for their PP appearance.

Here's a link to their live DVD from a few years back for those who haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeK1xCaMqqA

Talked to them very, very briefly about ProgPower last night. They're super excited to bring the show stateside. Not sure if there's any special plans/any special setlist being planned, but I put the idea in their heads. This tour is primarily featuring an Eternity setlist, I doubt they'll be doing that again in a year though.

The show was absolutely phenomenal. Third time seeing Freedom Call and they just keep getting better and better live.

I've been listening to these guys since the 1st album came out in 1999 (though I did lose track of them for several years in the mid 2000s). This is another one of those bands I figured I'd never see live back in the day, but once again, Glenn made it happen. Their 1st 3 albums are classic cheesy / happy euro power metal. After that, they branched out a bit into some hard rocky stuff, and those albums weren't as well received, but then their latest album Beyond is a return to power metal. Their website is not entirely clear, but it suggests they might still be playing the "666 Weeks Beyond Eternity" setlist at ProgPower next year.

So really, since you have 11 months, you could very well just blow through the entire catalog. But if you're looking for something more focused, I'd say your best bet is to start with Eternity and Beyond... that gives you 2 good albums to listen to, and chances also seem good that those are the 2 albums from which they'll play the most material.

This band has never made a bad album. I love them all! I am looking forward to seeing them this year if I can get a ticket from somebody! They are my second favorite power metal band, right after HammerFall.