From the WTF file: Viv Campbell reboots original Dio lineup

Wait, ME or the generalized me?

Which one of mes?

I'M SO CONFUSED!!

:lol: I always thought Dio to be his solo thing, but then again I never really followed his carreer closely, so if you say it was a full on band, you must know it better than me...

I just wish there wasn't another group of people coming out to play DIO songs every 3 months since he passed... :/

hahaha, i know i am confused myself often. Just ask Justin and Jeremy. I forget what i am doing all the time.

And yeah, my point is yes everyone is sick of Dio tribute bands coming out of the woodwork, but this gang of guys is basically THE ONE gang of guys who shouldn't really catch any flack for playing songs THEY wrote. that's all. sure, without Dio there it won't ever be the same, but i mean if i wrote those songs i would want to play them all the time. hahaha. and maybe Dio's passing got them all together and they are having a good time playing these songs and being together. who knows, but that line-up was amazing in 84 that's all i know.

Yeah, i saw Dio in concert on my 12th birthday (8/25/1984). "A Special At The Spectrum" was filmed that night. So Dio and i go way back. haha.

Juorney and Dio are not at all the same thing or situation. Yeah so Perry and Caine wrote those hits but it wasn't Perry's namesake. And I agree it was as much Dio's solo band as Blizzard Ozz was Ozzy's solo band.
Justify it however you may point is still that it is disrespectful, but people who only see dollar signs have no idea of what respect is anyway.

Juorney and Dio are not at all the same thing or situation. Yeah so Perry and Caine wrote those hits but it wasn't Perry's namesake. And I agree it was as much Dio's solo band as Blizzard Ozz was Ozzy's solo band.
Justify it however you may point is still that it is disrespectful, but people who only see dollar signs have no idea of what respect is anyway.

Oh, Damn you and your new release, album of the year so far, The Reticent. Every single time I respond to you from now on, I shall mention that disc. Everyone better buy this album. And then buy it again. :lol:

Oh, Damn you and your new release, album of the year so far, The Reticent. Every single time I respond to you from now on, I shall mention that disc. Everyone better buy this album. And then buy it again. :lol:

We certainly do appreciate it. Seriously if I had nothing to do with it I still would think it was a great album; also think people would also check it out.:rolleyes:
I was thinking today about my favorite albums of the year so far and I asked myself if it would be arrogant or whatever to list one of my own releases?
Anyway the album will be released on the 29th, and pre-orders will begin really soon.

How about Dio's passing bringing old chums back together to play songs they all wrote together nearly 30 years ago? How about Dio's passing has reminded them how fragile life is? Sure money is the root, but still his passing has brought them all together again be it positive or negative.

How about Dio's passing bringing old chums back together to play songs they all wrote together nearly 30 years ago? How about Dio's passing has reminded them how fragile life is? Sure money is the root, but still his passing has brought them all together again be it positive or negative.
Well Mr. Attorney for the opposition, argue it as you may still I seriously doubt it was the magic of Dio that causes this all to happen. It is purely the marketing of Dio. Maybe you can find reason in it or agree with, hell you might even would do it but I could not. If these guys ever had intentions on doing it for Dio, the sake of the music or whatever they would have done it before the man died. But no instead Vivian was wish Dio dead and dissing the man, music, and genre that made him. But what they hey he is where he belongs with Def Leppard who are cut from the same cloth.

Well Mr. Attorney for the opposition, argue it as you may still I seriously doubt it was the magic of Dio that causes this all to happen. It is purely the marketing of Dio. Maybe you can find reason in it or agree with, hell you might even would do it but I could not. If these guys ever had intentions on doing it for Dio, the sake of the music or whatever they would have done it before the man died. But no instead Vivian was wish Dio dead and dissing the man, music, and genre that made him. But what they hey he is where he belongs with Def Leppard who are cut from the same cloth.

Well said.

Wendy Dio stated about the controversy surrounding Ronnie's relationship with Campbell, "[Vivian] always said that he hated all the albums that he played on with Ronnie, and that was very hurtful to Ronnie. Very hurtful. Would you like someone who said something like that about your albums? He said a lot of things in the press that I don't wanna get into, because it really wasn't Ronnie's feud at all. Ronnie didn't fire him. I fired [Vivian]."

I am not speaking for Vivian, but Vinnie was in Heaven & Hell with Ronnie and not sure what Jimmy Bain was up to but since he couldn't play with H&H i assume he was doing something else with his time. But he remained friends with Ronnie from what i remember reading.

Correct me if i am wrong, but H&H was going strong for several years before Ronnie's illness was announced correct? So where in that time could the original members of Dio come forward and say "hey, let's get the band back together"? not very likely, so they are doing it now like it or not. Yes, piss poor timing, but it's their music and their band now. I assume they will call it "Holy Diver" or something as "Dio" would not be right, i will admit that.

I am not speaking for Vivian, but Vinnie was in Heaven & Hell with Ronnie and not sure what Jimmy Bain was up to but since he couldn't play with H&H i assume he was doing something else with his time. But he remained friends with Ronnie from what i remember reading.

Correct me if i am wrong, but H&H was going strong for several years before Ronnie's illness was announced correct? So where in that time could the original members of Dio come forward and say "hey, let's get the band back together"? not very likely, so they are doing it now like it or not. Yes, piss poor timing, but it's their music and their band now. I assume they will call it "Holy Diver" or something as "Dio" would not be right, i will admit that.

Heaven and Hell? Did I miss something, and was this in my universe? H&H was Black Sabbath the best I recall. Besides why wood Tony need a second guitarist?
I seem to recall the certainly did not stay friends. But it does not matter.
Jamie's response was, "I'm sure it will be as sincere as that Midnight tribute was" But I';m thinking they might at least get a singer that know the words to the songs.:lol:

Vivian Campbell is a complete douchebag.
[FONT='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]‎

"The real irony of that is I actually don't like hard rock music," Campbell said. "I know it's a strange thing to say, but I don't really care about my past contributions. Even now I still get these guys coming up to me going 'Duuuuuuuude!', giving me the DIO devil sign and yelling 'Holy Diver!!' and 'Rainbow In The Dark, whoo hoo!!' and it's cool that they remember it, but that music never mattered to me — and still doesn't."[/font]

Agreed!

Yeah, it's not exactly a secret that he was extremely difficult to work with, and he fell out with a ton of musicians during his career (all of these guys included, if memory serves). This seems to me to be a relatively genuine tribute to the music, if not the man.

Reasons why? Cause he has been in the music biz a hell of a lot longer than
any of them young ones! hmm?

hahaha, i know i am confused myself often. Just ask Justin and Jeremy. I forget what i am doing all the time.

And yeah, my point is yes everyone is sick of Dio tribute bands coming out of the woodwork, but this gang of guys is basically THE ONE gang of guys who shouldn't really catch any flack for playing songs THEY wrote. that's all. sure, without Dio there it won't ever be the same, but i mean if i wrote those songs i would want to play them all the time. hahaha. and maybe Dio's passing got them all together and they are having a good time playing these songs and being together. who knows, but that line-up was amazing in 84 that's all i know.

Yeah, i saw Dio in concert on my 12th birthday (8/25/1984). "A Special At The Spectrum" was filmed that night. So Dio and i go way back.

haha.

Who said what and what? How would you bleep bleep know?

Heaven and Hell? Did I miss something, and was this in my universe? H&H was Black Sabbath the best I recall. Besides why wood Tony need a second guitarist?
I seem to recall the certainly did not stay friends. But it does not matter.
Jamie's response was, "I'm sure it will be as sincere as that Midnight tribute was" But I';m thinking they might at least get a singer that know the words to the songs.:lol:

Jimmy Bain is a bassist. so it would have been Geezer, not Tony.

but my point was you said they could have done this reunion before but they all chose not to and i am saying H&H was going pretty strong with recording and touring for several years before Dio got sick. So why would have have even considered getting back with the Dio guys during that period? He wouldn't have, that was my point. ;) so they are doing it now.

Solo albums usually are projects a member does between the regular duties and commitments of their current band. It sometimes announces that a band is having problems and will soon break up or lose members.

If "DIO" was a solo project he would have still continued making Black Sabbath albums along the way... or Rainbow.

He started another band and used his name. Members change.. crap happens. Times change and Heaven & Hell became his "side project" or 2nd band. How many members juggle bands to make a living nowadays?

Same thing goes for Ozzy. He started his own band and used his name.

KISS released 4 solo albums in 1978 then got right back together to record as KISS again... then of course broke apart not much longer.

What about The Alice Cooper Band?

The "cover band" debate is always fun to argue (in a friendly manner) but if a band decides to carry on - more power to them! Name change? Possibly, but if most of the members remain, why not keep it? It's easier to promote a known name that starting from scratch again.

Then there's the Tigertailz & LA Guns situations where there's 2 touring bands using the same name.

Jack Russel's Great White vs. Great White also springs to mind.

Steve Perry was not the first singer in Journey, so I find it amusing that people argue the "cover band" issue over them. A personal friend of mine does this all the time, then looked at me blankly as I reminded him Perry wasn't the first on the mic.

After seeing his blank face I hit him with AC/DC for the win.