Fun with Ep's!

Thoth-Amon

Hypochondriac
Apr 4, 2006
EP's can range in quality from absolute genius to utter tripe. What are some of your fav EP's and why?
Here's a few of mine:

Slayer- Haunting the Chapel. Possibly my fav EP. This is an obvious choice: it's old school Slayer with the first three tracks ranking amongst their best and amongst the best thrash songs ever.

Mercyful Fate- S/T. One of the earliest BM releases. Overrall it is slightly more consistent than the Slayer EP. A Corpse Without Soul has to be heard to be believed. Utterly amazing and ass-kicking song. The rest of the EP slays as well.

Cradle of Filth- V Empire or Dark Phaerytales in Phallustein. Yes kids there was a time when Cradle was a good band and this EP is ample proof of it. 6 tracks including their best instrumental and perhaps their best song ever (Queen of Winter, Throned) a great re-recording of The Forest Whispers my Name a great intro track and a stunning closer.

Graveland- Impaler's Wolves. I love the original Carpathian Wolves album but these re-made versions are just special to me. I really love the atmosphere of both tracks and how he expanded upon his original ideas from the first album. Essential Graveland IMO.

Burzum- Aske. Its Burzum. Duh.

These are some of my favs. Nothing really underground or obscure, just well known releases that rank as personal favs for me. What are some of your fav EP's and why?

I'll just list a few really obvious ones that are some of my all time favorites.

Sodom- In the Sign of Evil (their best work imo)
Mayhem- Deathcrush (Again, their best work and quite possibly the release that defines metal to me)
Hellhammer- Apocalyptic Raids (Not much to be said, really)

I'll let other people post thousands of other equally worthy releases that I can't name right now, simply because I never take note of whether a release is a full length/EP/demo/etc.

Slayer- Haunting the Chapel
Graveland- Impaler's Wolves

These two are among mine too. Haunting the Chapel contains my favourite Slayer material.

EPs are fantastic when they're made up of wholly original material (essentially mini-albums) but pretty much worthless when they consist of live tracks and one new track (which will also likely end up on the upcoming full-length).

A few of my favourites:

Abigor - Orkblut - The Retalition (Classic Abigor)

Absurd - Asgardsrei (Contains Absurd's defining classic, 'Germanien uber Alles)

Aeternus - Dark Sorcery (Easily some of Aeternus' best material, every bit as essential as the first two albums)

Amorphis - The Privilege of Evil (Not new material, but the recording is much better than that of the debut. A classic EP, for certain)

Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents (Sadly the only thing they released, top-notch melodic Death/Black Metal)

Celtic Frost - Emperor's Return (DAAATHRONED EMPEAROAR!)

The Chasm - Reaching the Veil of Death (No description needed)

Dawn - Sorgh på Svarte Vingar Fløgh ('Soil of Death Earth' is arguably Dawn's greatest song, plus the Infernal Majesty cover is fucking awesome)

Dismember - Pieces (Absolutely fucking lethal guitar tone, Dismember's best next to the debut)

Drowned - Viscera Terrae

Graveland - Raise You Sword! (Just more classic stuff from Graveland, some of his first "Viking" Metal stuff, and easily some of his best in the style)

Ildjarn/Nidhogg - Svartfrad (Features the cleanest production out of any Ildjarn release, not to mention some of his best songs)

Kyprian's Circle - Noitatulen Vartija (Incredible, original atmospheric Black Metal and one of my all-time favourites. Sadly, the only obtainable item from this band)

Liers in Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art (Easily some of the best Death Metal ever)

Miasma - Love Songs (Only one real new song, but it's almost ten minutes in length and absolutely rules)

Necros Christos - Grave Damnation (Cuuuuurse of the Necromantical Sabbath!)

Nocternity - A Fallen Unicorn (Leftovers from the Onyx session, but every bit as good)

Rigor Mortis - Freaks (Ridiculously awesome Thrash, almost as worthy as the self-titled (would be with the original vocalist))

Sacramentum - Finis Malorum (A sign of the brilliance to come)

Sorhin - Skogsgriftens Rike (The only EP here that I don't actually own a physical copy of, some of Sorhin's best)

Utumno - Across the Horizon (Another favourite, and again, the only thing besides a couple of demos they released. Classic Swedish Death)

Vintersemestre - Jääverisaatana (Never seen this mentioned anywhere, great mid-90s Finnish Black Metal. Viscious as fuck)

Wallachia - Wallachia (Unknown/underrated Norwegian Black Metal, other than an irritating drum machine, this is good stuff with very awesome vocals. Some of the songs were re-recorded and butchered for the full-length which isn't nearly as good)

Just one for now before I head off:

Brutality - Metamorphisis

Like all their material (well, of all two full lengths I've listened to), just quality fucking death metal.

Necros Christos - Grave Damnation (Cuuuuurse of the Necromantical Sabbath!)

And this! God I love that Acid Orgy cover.

atg - gardens of grief
summoning - nightshade forests
sepultura - bestial devastation
destroyer 666 - terror abraxas
vader - sothis

'privilege of evil' might be my favourite of all, difficult choice though

Abigor - Orkblut - The Retaliation
Like MalignParadigm said, classic Abigor, some of their strongest material is on this one. However sometimes I see this labeled as an album.

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel
Chemical Warfare, enough said.

Gorgoroth - Antichrist
One of their best, maybe the best by Gorgoroth. Another one classed as an album.

Summoning - Nightshade Forests
A joy to listen to, all of Summoning is just magic. A very epic listen, like all of their stuff.

Jesu - Silver
Really good, and the title track has to be one of the best sons I've ever heard. A more melodic approach after the s/t album, reminding a little bit of My Bloody Valentine in places, just with heavier beats.

Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie
It has Slayer and Tormentor covers, and "Son of Mourning". Its good.

Napalm Death - The Curse
Short, sharp bursts of fury (the shortest being 5 seconds)in the best old school ND style. Their period of 87-89 pisses on the rest of their career completely.

Xasthur - Xasthur
Another chilling, atmospheric release. Used to love this, still think its pretty good.

Khanate - Capture & Release
Might be the best Khanate, though the first album comes pretty close. This is a terrifying cd. Haven't listened to "Release" that much but "Capture" puts me in a trance every time.

Mayhem - Wolf's Lair Abyss
I think this might be my favourite Mayhem. It sounds disgusting, but I like that. Completely unrelenting.

Cryptopsy - Ungentle Exhumation
I know its a demo, but its available as a cd EP. I also know none of the songs are exclusive, but its worth checking out because its just fantastically sick and brutal. Maybe not on the same level as Blasphemy Made Flesh, but its good nonetheless.

Katatonia - For Funerals to Come
Classic old style, gothic death/doom Katatonia. 4 songs, only 2 of which are full tracks, but they're both fantastic and among the best songs the band has written.

Katatonia - Sounds of Decay
The last time Mikael from Opeth sang for them. Pretty much a continuation of Brave Murder Day, but thats not a bad thing surely. Dissonant strummed chords and mentally deranged guitar leads in abundance.

Katatonia - Saw You Drown
First thing after they dropped the harsh vocals and became a bit softer. Wonderfully soft and almost shoegazing, and the 10 minute gothic rock track "Scarlet Heavens" (from a few years before) is excellent.

Judas Iscariot - Moonlight Butchery
I love this one. 2 slow and hateful tracks spaced out with a more upbeat sounding one, and then a raw burst of furious noise tagged on at the end. Great synths and ambiance.

Nile - Festivals of Atonement
Not quite as fast as the later material, but that doesn't stop it sounding like a wheelbarrow full of cinder blocks landing on your head. Heavy and brutal as fuck, very bassy.

Nile - Ramses Bringer of War
Same as above, but x10 on the speed and intensity.

Ulver - Silencing the Singing
Really good, not metal at all but great music you can just relax and chill out with.

Skepticism - Ethere
Fantastic funeral doom. "Chorale" is up there with the most emotionally crushing songs ever written.

Aeternus - Dark Sorcery (Easily some of Aeternus' best material, every bit as essential as the first two albums)

I gotta check this one out.

I also forgot to add that i also have:
Marduk - Fuck Me Jesus (fuckin amazing collection of songs)
Marduk - Glorification (not that good, but it has some good covers of great bands)

Oh I love the Return to the Rectory one! The first song gives it amazing atmosphere which holds all the way through that amazing fucking thing.

Oh I love the Return to the Rectory one! The first song gives it amazing atmosphere which holds all the way through that amazing fucking thing.

Oh crap, totally forgot about that one.
Return... is just so awesome, especially the song Goddess of Doom.

Divine Eve - As the Angels Weep
Crematory - Denial
Expulsion - A Bitter Twist of Fate
Nox Intempesta - Die Lieder von Tod und Ewigkeit
Nox Intempesta - Infernal Pandaemonium 2000
Adramelech - The Fall
Suffocation - Human Waste

Burzum - Aske - if this were a full album it would beat out the debut easily.

Deathspell Omega - Kenose - their best work right here. Again, if it were a full-length (of the same quality) it would eclipse SMRC.

Emperor - Emperor - not better than ITNE, but I like hearing different versions of the same songs, plus the two not on ITNE are badass.

Nachtmystium - Eulogy IV - this is where the psychedelic influence first started to nudge into Nachtmystium's sound, and it's nearly as good as Instinct: Decay.

Tartaros The Grand Psychotic Castle - some excellent, somewhat carnivalesque symphonic Black Metal from Emperor's live keyboardist.

Others worth of mention:
Amorphis - Black Winter Day
Vader - The Art of War
Kreator - Flag of Hate

Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines
Deathspell Omega - Kénôse
Fen - Ancient Sorrow
Nazxul - Black Seed
Negură Bunget - Inarborat Kosmos
Sunn O))) - Oracle
Urfaust - Drei Rituale Jenseits Des Kosmos