Genesis/Marillion/Rush

Petrucci914

Nov 14, 2004
Madison, WI
Hey everyone,

I've always been more of a modern-prog lover. I got onto the bandwagon when I was 14 (now 19) with Dream Theater. When it comes to classic prog the closest thing I listen to is Spocks Beard, etc. I was thinking of picking up some records to harden my roots. I was going to pick up some Genesis, Marillion, and Rush. What record from each of those bands would you guys recommend? I don't want to pick the one that happened to be their worst and end up hating the entire band. Thanks in advance!

Rush - Hemispheres and Permanent Waves would be a my recommended starting point. A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Caress of Steel would be great follow-ups as well as Moving Pictures. I've never been a big Genesis or Marillion fan though. And I really tried after I realized how much influence (and involvement) Marillion had with Blueprint of the World which is one of my all time favroite albums -- PERIOD!

But I do love Rush and have no problem recommending them!

I was going to pick up some Genesis, Marillion, and Rush. What record from each of those bands would you guys recommend?

I'm sure you'll get quite a bit of input from others on Rush & Marillion, so I'll focus on Genesis (my all time favorite!) :D

If you focus on studio albums, I'd start with one from each "era." "Selling England By The Pound" is a good starting point for the Peter Gabriel era. If you like it, then you can dig deeper into the other amazing material from that era. For the Phil Collins era, I definitely recommend "A Trick Of The Tail." "Wind and Wuthering" would be a good choice as well, but Trick has a breadth of material that will give you some good exposure, plus some all-time faves for THIS Genesis fan! :headbang:

If you're not limited to studio albums at the start, any of the live albums are a great place to start. With Gabriel, the first "Genesis Live" is short, but terrific. "Seconds Out" bridges the Gabriel & Collins eras with Collins singing both sets of material. It's a GREAT one for material, although I've never been truly happy with the sound quality of that album. I have a bunch of Genesis boots that sound better, in my opinion. If you're ok with some of the newer Collins era material that is more pop & less prog, "Three Sides Live" is awesome. It's probably my favorite live Genesis album. (bootlegs excluded!) ;)

You've picked three fantastic bands! Have fun and enjoy the journey!!! :D

I highly recommend that you get the following three albums. (Must have IMO)

Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Power Windows
Genesis - And Then There Were Three

These are all amazing albums and I gurantee you will fall in love with them :headbang:

I only have one Marillion albums myself, so if anyone could post maybe a top 3 must have Marillion album list, I would greatly appreciate it! :wave:

I see Bob has the Genesis covered - what's up Bob-man? :wave: (hope you got that PM I sent in reply...)

Good Rush suggestions - I ALWAYS say Power Windows - a MUST HAVE. Rushjackson has good suggestions - and I ususally (instinct) head towards their 'eighties' period...

but thinking about it, Rick really is on the mark - Hemispheres (AMAZING tune) and Permanent Waves would be a GREAT place to jump in and get your feet wet. A little reach back (2112) and forward (Moving Pictures) and then hit the eighties classics (Grace Under Pressure and then Hold Your Fire) and you'll get a good sense of the band.

Rush ROCKS.
:headbang:

Marillion is a tougher one. Similar to Genesis in that they've had two different singers. And much like Genesis most will agree that the stuff with the newer singer is poppier and less proggy. So like many diehard Genesis fans, many diehard Marillion fans prefer the older stuff with Fish as singer. Clutching At Straws is probably my favorite Marillion album. That was Fish's last album with the band. I also like some of the earlier albums with Steve Hogarth like Season's End and Holidays in Eden. A good place to start might be a sort of greatest hits album called Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other which features hits from both singers. I'm a more casual Genesis fan, but I do like Trick of the Tail and a lot of the earlier Phil Collins era stuff. Rush is my main band, but I think they've been pretty well covered. If you lean towards the proggier epic type stuff I would suggest Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and maybe 2112. Moving Pictures is probably the best for a mix of both prog and pop. Enjoy. :Spin:

Rush (i do more like the newer, more "keyboardish" stuff):
"Hold your fire", "Signals", "Power Windows" + "Moving Picures"

Marillion (i like the "Fishy"-Stuff, too, but i adore Steve Hogarth as a singer):
"Season's End'', "Afraid of sunlight", "Brave", "Strange engine" (Hogarth)
"Clutching at straws", "Fugazi" (Fish)

In my opinion the music with Hogarth is not more "poplike" (besides "Holdays in eden", the only one I don't like), if you listen to "Brave" or "Strange Engine" you will find lots of really dark stuff. Au contraire, i guess that the music only sounds a little bit more simple but if you listen closer it will show up very well arranged und complex.
The older stuff was more proggy in a classical sense (rhythm, keys).
:wave:

slowhand said:

Marillion (i like the "Fishy"-Stuff, too, but i adore Steve Hogarth as a singer):
"Season's End'', "Afraid of sunlight", "Brave", "Strange engine" (Hogarth)
"Clutching at straws", "Fugazi" (Fish)

In my opinion the music with Hogarth is not more "poplike" (besides "Holdays in eden", the only one I don't like), if you listen to "Brave" or "Strange Engine" you will find lots of really dark stuff. Au contraire, i guess that the music only sounds a little bit more simple but if you listen closer it will show up very well arranged und complex.
The older stuff was more proggy in a classical sense (rhythm, keys).

SLowhand - in your Now PLaying list - Riverside's debut - that is one cool album - Loose Heart OWNS!

Burke said:
SLowhand - in your Now PLaying list - Riverside's debut - that is one cool album - Loose Heart OWNS!

Yeah that's right...I've had "out of myself" in heavy rotation since three days. Great tunes! It's the debut of this young band from Poland....that's simply great!

By the way, do You know the german Band "Sieges even"?
They have released some all time classics!
For example: "A sense of change" from 1991... :worship:

slowhand said:

<snip>

I like that era as well, but I just prefer the older, heavier, proggier Rush material. But it just comes down to what you are looking for. For someone coming from the land of Dream Theater, I recommend that older, heavier, proggier material because it was probably closer to what you are looking for.

The bottom line: its all good!

Tough choices to make, and I love all three bands. For Rush, start with Permanent Waves, an album that bridged the gap between their old and modern sound. It has a mix of epics and shorter tracks, and is one of their best albums.

Genesis, try Foxtrot or Selling England By the Pound. The Phil Collins as lead vocalist era is better than many will have you think. Try Duke, it has a nice mix of prog and more mainstream rock. The song 'Duke's Travels' is one of their most intense proggers ever.

Marillion is also tough. Go with Clutching at Straws from the Fish era, and either Season's End or Afraid of Sunlight from the Hogarth era. If you do like Hogarth, then Brave and the latest one, Marbles is a must. By the way, the definitive edition of Marbles is the 2 disc version only available on the Marillion web site. It contains one of their best ever songs, the epic 'Ocean Cloud'.

Marillion: Get everything Hogarth-era! H is an amazing vocalist. I love Hogarth-era Marillion's lush and light compositions. "Seasons End" is a beautiful album. You absolutely must hear the ballad "Easter"... the 2nd half is aural bliss. I am also a fan of their new "contemporary" direction. "This Is The 21st Century" is stunning.

slowhand said:
Yeah that's right...I've had "out of myself" in heavy rotation since three days. Great tunes! It's the debut of this young band from Poland....that's simply great!

By the way, do You know the german Band "Sieges even"?
They have released some all time classics!
For example: "A sense of change" from 1991... :worship:

Riverside's debut is one of my favorite albums ever.

Sieges Even is an excellent prog band. "A Sense of Change" is one of the most beautiful albums ever made and should appeal to Enchant fans.

Yes, I know Sieges Even. I first discovered them 4 years ago. I have all their albums except for the hard-to-find "Sophisticated". They are one of my favorite bands. I'm looking forward to the new release.

Rush: I'd start with Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures
Marillion: Season's End & Clutching at Straws are my favorites.
Genesis: hm... all of them!

and yes, Riverside owns.
|
V

First, the album Signals is one I'd recommend, there are no bad tracks. It's one of very, very few albums I can listen to on repeat without wanting skip something eventually.

Next, I'd recommend Test For Echo for more recent material. This is a great album to play very loud for me personally. Rush proves if nothing else, they can still rock.

Then I'd probably recommend 2112 for their early years. That album still holds up well.

If you're not against starting with something live, I thought I'd mention Different Stages. More expensive since it's a triple-disc live set, but it's perfect. It is a more recent collection, but comes with a bonus disc of the band live back in like '78 I think. There is plenty of songs to get you well into Rush, none are repeated. Also, the first disc has a pretty cool program for your computer on it, great toy when listening to Rush by the way.