Genesis/Marillion/Rush

My choices would be as follows:

Genesis - "And Then There Were Three" and as mentioned above, "Seconds Out" is a good bridge (Gabriel/Collins) live album.

Marillion - I'm a big Fish-era fan with my favs being "Clutching At Straws" and I've always had a soft spot for "Fugazi". I have recently picked up "Brave" however, and I do love that album for a Hogarth-era record.

Rush - Album-wise I've always been a big fan of the "Signals" album with an inescapable desire to listen to the song "subdivisions" over and over at times - the structure of that song just does something to me emotionally. While I'm a guitarist (not very good, but I've been playing for a long time on and off), the drumming in that one track and the way it sort of builds emotionally to a crescendo at the end just gets me every time I listen to it. Truely on of my favorite Neil Peart moments. But I'm also a believer that to truely appreciated what Rush is you really need to see a live performance, if live is not an option I suggest you get the DVD "Rush in Rio", the DVD audio in 5:1 is so much suprerior to the audio on the CD's. I used a DVD audio ripper to get the tracks to MP3 format for my player instead of the CD's. "Rush in Rio" is such an all encompassing collection from early Rush to their most recent releases that it is a good one to get if you want to hear their progression as time marched forward.

Just my 2 copper,

Jin

ProgMetalFan said:
Yes, I know Sieges Even. I first discovered them 4 years ago. I have all their albums except for the hard-to-find "Sophisticated". They are one of my favorite bands. I'm looking forward to the new release.

I remember all those fruitful Sieges Even-discussions at the old IMBB. :)
It was a very satisfying experience to hear that someone else shares the same opinion on an album like "Steps" and understands what makes it such a brilliant and one-of-a-kind masterpiece. "Tangerine Windows Of Solace" is closest to "art" than any other rock song I've ever heard.... pure magic from start to finish. You never get tired of those odd time, hypnotic rhythmsections. The new album will be a killer, I know it. Markus Steffen is a true artist and someone you can trust when it comes to quality.

And then to the suggestions:

Genesis - If I'd have to choose one album from the Gabriel-era, I'd choose "Selling England By The Pound". You can't go wrong with that album. "Foxtrot" is a fine choice also, an alltime classic progrock album.

Rush - Moving Pictures. This is what most people tend to recommend and I agree. As the eighties went on, they changed to more synthesizer-driven style. From the "Big Sound"-period I'd go for "Power Windows". That album is one huge wall of sound and executed with perfectism. "Presto" (1989) was a step back into the old direction and it's full of strong compositions. These 3 albums are also my top3 Rush-albums.

Marillion - From the Fish-era: "Misplaced Childhood" (easier to get into) or "Clutching At Straws" (takes more time and effort but just as great, if not better). To be honest, all the 4 Fish-era albums are masterpieces. Marillion has had good records with Hogarth also. "Seasons End", "Brave", "Afraid Of Sunlight", "Marbles" to name a few.