GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of the 1980's

This is fucking depressing. So many albums, so little slots.

1 - Altars of Madness
2 - To Mega Therion
3 - Don't Break the Oath
4 - Awaken the Guardian
5 - Somewhere in Time
6 - Melissa
7 - Ride The Lightning
8 - Danzig
9 - Scream Bloody Gore
10 - World Downfall

Reactions: zerostatic and -CC-
R-1108412-1352841010-4548.jpeg.jpg

1. - Sepultura - Schizophrenia
2. - Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
3. - Obituary - Slowly We Rot
4. - Death - Scream Bloody Gore
5. - Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
6. - Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metalicus
7. - Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
8. - Coroner - R.I.P
9. - Slayer - Show No Mercy
10. - Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum

Edit: no idea why l hadn't put my favourite Coroner record here

Last edited:
1) Metallica - Ride the Lightning
2) King Diamond - Abigail
3) Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
4) Metallica - Kill 'Em All
5) Slayer - South of Heaven
6) Razor - Violent Restitution
7) Motorhead - Ace of Spades
8) Megadeth - Killing is my Business...and Business is Good!
9) Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
10) Coroner - No More Color

This really needed to be a top 20..

1) Slayer - Reign in Blood
2) Sepultura - Schizophrenia
3) Metallica - Ride the Lightning
4) Exodus - Bonded by Blood
5) Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
6) Mercyful Fate - Melissa
7) Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
8) Megadeth - Peace Sells
9) Destruction - Eternal Devastation
10) Overkill - The Years of Decay

1. Slayer - Reign in Blood
2. Metallica - Kill 'em All
3. Possessed - Beyond the Gates
4. Slayer - Show No Mercy
5. Metallica - ...And Justice for All
6. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
7. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
8. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
9. Slayer - Hell Awaits
10. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Jesus fucking Christ this was hard, and in the end, my list is boring as fuck! It took a week to come up with this BS list. A top 15 or 20 would have been much easier. By far, the best decade ever!

Reactions: Sirjack and -CC-
I'm wrapping this up tomorrow night by the way. Get your lists in folks.

Prelim

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden - Killers
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Adramelch - Irae Melanox
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Queensryche - Rage for Order
Voivod - Nothingface
Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly

Wanna order this?

EDIT: Aite I'm just gonna leave this as unranked, with 12 picks (4.5 points to each)

Last edited:
10) Hell Awaits by Slayer
Burning destroying and killing and bleeding and pleading then death...

"Hell Awaits> every other thrash album" - @mutantllama

Hell Awaits. Beautifully menacing with fantastic riffs and aggressive melodies. " - Ov Wulf

"Hell Awaits kills everything else ever related to Thrash before or after it and is by far the best thing Slayer has ever done" - Skeptik

"listen to at dawn they sleep over and over until you start orgasming and/or die" - @no country for old wainds

"Hell Awaits has insane shit like 'At Dawn They Sleep' which is pretty much some of the best metal ever recorded. Absolutely unrivaled as far as thrash goes.

The only other albums that come anywhere near are None Shall Defy by Infernäl Mäjesty and Rigor Mortis' self-titled. " - @Slayed Necros

"As for thrash, Hell Awaits is far and away my favourite from that genre. I've yet to find another thrash record that creates the psychotic, violent and hellish atmosphere as well as this does." - @Phylactery

Chosen by:
No Country for Old Wainds (#2)
CIG (#5)
Crimsonfloyd (#7)
Alex76 (#9

TOTAL POINTS: 21

9) Irae Melanox by Adramelch
These are not odes to the prince of material, just remembrances of ages swayed by the fear...

ADRAMELCH%20-%20Irae%20Melanox.jpg

"Crusades-obsessed bleak and lo-fi Italian power metal, reminiscent of Awaken the Guardian sans the occasional mid-tempo plod." - @HamburgerBoy

"Best album ever. Wish I could like Fates Warning this much." - @Vegard Pompey

"Irae Melanox is one of the albums the in-crowders get right. Kerrang apparently called it a thrash album back in the day anyways and it's faster than South of Heaven so yeah there's objectively no reason to prefer Slayer for this year." - @HamburgerBoy

Chosen by:
Vegard Pompey (#1)
no country for old wainds (#3)
HamburgerBoy (unranked)

TOTAL POINTS: 22.5

8) REALM of CHAOS: SLAVES to DARKNESS by BOLT THROWER

realm-of-chaos-slaves-to-darkness-59c84502f02a5-jpg.20651

"Realm of fucking Chaos. The ultimate war metal album." - @Slayed Necros

"War Master is better than Realm of Chaos." - @The Ozzman

"Bolt Thrower is good, but incredibly overrated. Nothing they did after Realm of Chaos is particularly special." - @Mort Divine

"I like Realm of Chaos the best, i think it has much better atmosphere then their other albums." - @Vilden

"Realm of Chaos is indeed awesome, but it really just cannot compare to the likes of The Chasm, Demigod, and Incantation." - @Master_Yoda77

"this is why REALM OF CHAOS is kind of my stock answer for best bolt thrower these days, it hits that sweet spot between the filth of the debut and the sound they'd go on to establish." - @no country for old wainds

"Realm of Chaos basically puts the entire sub-genre of "war metal" to shame. It's a relentlessly ferocious unassailable warmachine. 10/10 album." - @Slayed Necros

"Nothing weird about Realm of Chaos being at the top spot. Plenty of people have placed it there." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Which is overhyped." - @Dak (of course The Pozzman 'liked' this one lmao.)

"i can't think of a better endorsement for any album than dak disliking it." - @no country for old wainds

Voted for by:
@CiG (#1
@Slayed Necros (#3)
@Sirjack (#7)
@challenge_everything (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 23

7) The Spectre Within by Fates Warning
Tangled in the web of time you've swallowed the pill of illusion...

"Spectre just sounds like Awaken's superior in nearly every way. Awaken has the "advantage" in that it's a little more progressive in the usual sense of the word, songs are longer on average and there's more time-signature changing and whatever, but that's not really a plus for me." - @HamburgerBoy

"the spectre within is so much better than all other power metal that it's just preposterous!" - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:
No Country for Old Wainds (#1)
Burkhard (#4)
Crimsonfloyd (#8)
Slayed Necros (#9)
HamburgerBoy (unranked)
TOTAL POINTS: 26.5

8) REALM of CHAOS: SLAVES to DARKNESS by BOLT THROWER

realm-of-chaos-slaves-to-darkness-59c84502f02a5-jpg.20651

"Realm of fucking Chaos. The ultimate war metal album." - @Slayed Necros

"War Master is better than Realm of Chaos." - @The Ozzman

"Bolt Thrower is good, but incredibly overrated. Nothing they did after Realm of Chaos is particularly special." - @Mort Divine

"I like Realm of Chaos the best, i think it has much better atmosphere then their other albums." - @Vilden

"Realm of Chaos is indeed awesome, but it really just cannot compare to the likes of The Chasm, Demigod, and Incantation." - @Master_Yoda77

"this is why REALM OF CHAOS is kind of my stock answer for best bolt thrower these days, it hits that sweet spot between the filth of the debut and the sound they'd go on to establish." - @no country for old wainds

"Realm of Chaos basically puts the entire sub-genre of "war metal" to shame. It's a relentlessly ferocious unassailable warmachine. 10/10 album." - @Slayed Necros

"Nothing weird about Realm of Chaos being at the top spot. Plenty of people have placed it there." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Which is overhyped." - @Dak (of course The Pozzman 'liked' this one lmao.)

"i can't think of a better endorsement for any album than dak disliking it." - @no country for old wainds

Voted for by:
@CiG (#1
@Slayed Necros (#3)
@Sirjack (#7)
@challenge_everything (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 23

Bolt Thrower made it, so I'm happy.

=5) Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning
Down the devil's hopyard on my way from Salem I lit a fire...
R-6049608-1412632063-9843.jpeg.jpg

"Awaken the Guardian is above criticism imo." - @skeptik

"I'd take any post-No Exit album over Awaken the Guardian." - @HamburgerBoy

"Dunno how controversial this is, but Awaken the Guardian is the only worthwhile thing Fates Warning did. The earlier stuff is alright but really doesn't hold a candle to it and the later stuff is boring prog crap." - @waif

"One Fates Warning album in the top 100 is enough." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
Slayed Necros (#2)
No Country for Old Wainds (#4)
Allfader (#4)
Vegard Pompey (#6)

TOTAL POINTS: 28

=5) ALTARS of MADNESS by MORBID ANGEL
Demons attack with hate
altars-of-madness-55c7685732b04-jpg.20653

"Let's stop talking about Illud, let's talk about their good shit. Hows abouts that Altars of Madness?" - @The Butt

"Altars of Madness is the best MA album." - @Zephyrus

"(Runner up for Venom Award. While this is a good album, some people claim it's the best death metal album ever. It's not even close)." - @crimsonfloyd

"Blessed Are The Sick > Altars of Madness" - @The Ozzman

"Altars of Madness was always the best MA album in my little world." - @Cythraul

"I prefer the material with Tucker. I can't get into Altars of Madness at all." - @The Ozzman

"wat" - @Zephyrus

"I mean, it's alright, but I think it's way overhyped as far as OSDM goes. I really don't see why people fellate this album so much." - @The Ozzman

"BAtS is better." - @Krow

"morbid angel have 3 timeless albums; altars of madness, blessed are the sick, covenant." - @EchoForever

"Altars of Madness or Blessed are the Sick?

Clearly, Altars of Madness for me. Everything meshes so perfectly on it. The vocals are my favorite of any of David Vincents and the riffage is downright gritty and evil.
" - @Dazed and Brutal

"Altars of Madness is fucking excellent, and my personal favorite death metal album. Blessed is awesome as well." - @mutantllama

Voted for by:
@Allfader (#1)
@Sirjack (#5)
@zerostatic (#5)
@challenge_everything (#7)
@CiG (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 28

4) Melissa by Mercyful Fate
Say after me: "My soul belongs to Satan...

album-melissa.jpg

"Mercyful Fate is easily one of the best metal bands of all time, so anyone calling out King Diamond as garbage should probably listen to Melissa over and over until they like it." - @Mort Divine

"Melissa >>> Don't Break the Oath" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"inconsistent and masturbatory is just as much a description of MELISSA as MoP methinks, but w/e, KeA has both beat in that regard." - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:
challenge_everything(#2)
zerostatic (#6)
Allfader (#6)
alex76 (#7)
Bloopy (#9)
HamburgerBoy (unranked)

TOTAL POINTS: 29.5

Reactions: CiG
3) Reign in Blood by Slayer
COME AND DIE WITH ME FOREVER SHARE INSANITYYY

cover-slayer03.jpg

"I've been listening to this record a bit as of late. I do find the riffs and the ideas very good, let there be no doubt. But I cannot seem to fully enjoy this record because of the boring, lifeless vocals! This is very frustrating, because I would've really enjoyed this album if they had had a vocalist in the same street as the Dew Scented vocalist or the God Forbid one. Any thoughts on this issue? What do you guys think about this album/the vocal performance?" - @Henrik Main

"Reign In Blood is old school you fucking idiot, it's just that the song writing is poor in the middle of the album, causing the songs to be entirely disposable and interchangeable." - @skeptik

"from reign in blood onwards every album is progressively worse" -@no country for old wainds

"Reign in Blood is a special album. It's sometimes universally overrated, but it deserves good words that are spoken about it." - @EspaDa

"That's not possible. It's either sometimes overrated or universally overrated." -
@crimsonfloyd

Voted for by:
@alex76 (#1)
@zerostatic (#1)
@Slayed Necros (#5)
@no country for old wainds (#6)
@crimsonfloyd (#6)

TOTAL POINTS: 36

2) ...And Justice For All by Metallica
All is said and done, never is the sun... Never!

16376016_1_92.jpg

"If you think anything off of Metallica's first four albums, especially And Justice for All... is "mediocre shit music of this world" you are clueless." @matt schrauben in a thread about deftones

"AJFA has this raw, bleak, monotonal quality to it, like all the hope has been sucked out of it leaving nothing but menacing shadows. there was a time when i'd claim the messy song structures lined the overall sound like a cobweb, but no, often they truly have no internal logic to speak of. but either way, it's metallica's most atmospheric, difficult album, and for all its faults it's still quite a mean collection of songs. i think master of puppets is metallica's most 'perfect' album, the one in which the songwriting is most polished. apart from the odd misstep the whole thing's practically faultless for what it is. AJFA on the other hand has a different kind of charm in its sloppiness, looseness, its wild and ambitious digressions and, above all, its unique atmosphere. it's a weaker album than either MOP or my personal favourite RTL, but it deserves its status as classic, and doesn't even remotely warrant the scorn it's receiving here." - @no country for old wainds

"Re: Metallica:I actually like AJFA more than the rest simply because it has no bass( I don't really like overstated bass). It's totally the most fluent and rhythmically arresting of all Metallica records, in my opinion." - @DarkBliss

"AJFA is actually my favorite Metallica album. All Metallica albums have their flaws, and the flaw of AJFA is the glossy guitar solos that don't fit in with the rough, bleak music. I also find some of the major chords on One to be off-putting and to not really fit in with the overall aesthetic of the record or the theme of that song. However, most of the record is just killer." - @crimsonfloyd

Chosen by:
Bloopy (#1)
Baroque (#2)
challenge_everything (#3)
crimsonfloyd (#3)
alex76 (#5)

TOTAL: 41 POINTS

1) Ride the Lightning by Metallica
Flash before my eyes, now it’s time to die...

Ride%20The%20Lightning.jpg

"Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are both practically beyond criticism and amazingly creative and influential albums that destroy most other discographies." - @HamburgerBoy

"Ride The Lightning is one of the metal GOATs in my opinion." - @CASSETTEISGOD

Chosen by:
Baroque (#1)
Burkhard (#1)
-CC- (#1)
zerostatic (#3)
CIG (#4)
Allfader (#7)
Bloopy (#7)
Slammed (#7)
alex76 (#8)
HamburgerBoy (unranked)