good instrumental non-metal

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
Some of the biggest turnoffs for me in non-metal are the lyrics and the vocals. So I'm looking for good instrumental non-metal. I've been exposed to plenty of regular non-metal, and I couldn't get into it. My roommate listens to shit like Nickleback, Hinder, Smile Empty Soul, Fuel, etc. and I can't stand anything along those lines (I despise both the lyrics and the music). I admit that I listen to almost only metal, and wish to expand my horizons. I can't get into any of the non-metal my roommate listens to, and I think that instrumental music may be a good starting point for getting into non-metal. Mind you, I cannot get into traditional jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, etc.) so don't recommend that. Back in college, I had a roommate who listened to some instrumental stuff like Mahavishu Orchestra, John McLaughlin, Guru Guru, etc., so maybe I'm looking for stuff along those lines. I am somewhat familiar with classical music, and do listen to it sometimes (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc.).

Give "Grindstone" by Shining a try...it's metal influenced, mainly instrumental.

Amon Tobin's "Supermodified" is a good start to try some darker offbeat type of electronic.

Dj Shadow has a huge catalog of stuff, alot of it to hip hop beats but lots of other cool shit as well. Try "endtroducing" particularly the track "Stem/Long Stem/Transmission 2". Brutal.

Tortoise

Mogwai

Explosions in the Sky

Classical? Try Henryk Gorecki "I. Lento - Sostenuto Tranquillo Ma Cantabile" long song but 13 min in it kills.

a few "nonmetal" but not necessarily instrumental u might or might not like:

Woven Hand
Tomahawk
Madrugada
Porcupine Tree

You might try stepping into the genre of post-rock. That genre is largely instrumental. The above mentioned Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai fit into that, I'd also recommend the Japanese band Mono.

Ambient is another safe genre if you want to avoid lyrics, you might try some dark ambient like Lustmord (the most recent release by him is probably especially well suited to anyone with a metal background wanting to get into ambient) or Raison d'Etre.

I'll recommend:

Venetian Snares - My Downfall (mixture of breakcore and classical and fucking dark)

Elend - Les Tenebres du Dehors (violent sounding, hellish neo-classical with limited choir type vocals and black metal screams).

Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors (it's almost metal, but not quite heavy enough. Crazy jazzy prog rock. Really off the wall shit but not just experimental wankery - the composition is excellent).

Maybe some dark neo-folk? Don't know if this would be your thing but try Nest's latest. Anyone who likes extreme metal needs to listen to Dead Can Dance as well, although they have quite prominent vocals. Start with The Serpent's Egg.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also meant to recommend Tom Waits. The music is pretty much undescribable and it's not instrumental, but if your problem is with lyrics and vocals, his lyrics are brilliant and twisted, and his voice has been famously described as like "someone who just gargled gravel".

You sound too narrow minded to expand to me. There is only a few styles of music "I cant stand" (to use your words). Also your emphisis on "non metal" indicates that your thinking is along the lines that there is only metal and then there is other stuff "which I cant stand". Seems like that train of thought leaves you dead in the water for any new horizons.

I like some fusion once in a while which is stuff like Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty who covers more aspects of jazz over his career, same as Al DiMeola and many others. One of my favorite little know bands is Gamalon but they like some of the others I mentioned here occasional play some more uplifting... "pretty" music and I suspect by your post that you cant deal with "pretty"... lol

good luck, theres lots of great music out there, its just a matter of being able to hear it

Try these :)
There aren't any youtube videos available nor myspace for some but anyways,

Goblin - Roller - Famous for their film soundtracks such as Profondo Rosso & Suspiria, this is one of their rare non-sound track releases. It's completely instrumental.(excuse the youtube sound quality)

Return to forever - Romantic Warrior - Jazz fusion doesn't get better than this.

Samla Mammas Manna - Måltid - A swedish avant-garde prog group. They do have vocals at times, but it's not all that significant.

Bar Kokhba - Lucifer: Book of Angels Volume 10

Dun - Eros - A french instrumental avant-garde/Zeuhl band.

Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate - In The Heart Of the Moon - Great instrumental bluesy stuff, african style ;). No youtube videos I'm afraid.

Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music I - Post-rockish, classically influenced stuff.

sgt. - Stylus Fantasticus - Spacey psychedelic jams with a bit of classical thrown in. No vocals.

Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three - Instrumental Folky stuff.

Dzyan - Electric Silence - Instrumental krautrock.

Ozric Tentacles - Erpland - Spacerock.

Marcos Valle - Braziliance! A Musica de Marcos Valle - Instrumental Bossa Nova.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like some fusion once in a while which is stuff like Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Jean Luc Ponty who covers more aspects of jazz over his career, same as Al DiMeola and many others. One of my favorite little know bands is Gamalon but they like some of the others I mentioned here occasional play some more uplifting... "pretty" music and I suspect by your post that you cant deal with "pretty"... lol

Fuck yes. I love JLP & the like, but I never got around to hearing Gamalon. I looked them up & did some reading about them a while back & from the sound of things I would say they are amazing, but I never heard them. Come to think of you might have been the person who initially told me about them. I'll have to look them up on Amazon.

OP, loosen up & try:
"Heavy Machinery" but Allan Holdsworth, Jens Johansson & Anders Johansson
"Thonk" by Michael Manring
"Passion & Warfare" by Steve Vai
"Passages" by Frank Gambale
"Time Control" by Hiromi Uehara
"Bass Extremes - Just Add Water" by Victor Wooten & Steve Bailey

The old school Italian band 'Goblin' is also bad ass, but I've not heard much by them & I wouldn't what to look into by them. One day I will delve into them some more.

Ambient is another safe genre if you want to avoid lyrics, you might try some dark ambient like Lustmord (the most recent release by him is probably especially well suited to anyone with a metal background wanting to get into ambient) or Raison d'Etre.

Good stuff here & add Sephiroth & Ulf Söderberg to that list.

Fuck yes. I love JLP & the like, but I never got around to hearing Gamalon. I looked them up & did some reading about them a while back & from the sound of things I would say they are amazing, but I never heard them. Come to think of you might have been the person who initially told me about them. I'll have to look them up on Amazon.

A myspace page made for Gamalon by a fan, located by Satanstoenail back when we had a little fusion topic and I brought them up

http://www.myspace.com/gamalonmusic

tracks to listen to are Souveniers and Ohh Babe at the typical "myspace" top location, these are from the '88 self titled, first release and are the studio recordings. Puleo is awesome at his game. However this is a large myspace page so scroll down and find vid clips of "The Early Years", these are all of the origional lineup and feature George Puleo, there is even some clips of a more recent 20 year reunion concert, so its not just early years but more of the origional lineup and music. Just make sure you shut down the songs that start playing at the top automatically. Then on the left side 3rd group of selections down titled "Gamalon live '92" pretty decent recordings of live jams of various songs.

Gamalon CDs are out of production but are selling cheap on ebay, I picked up Aerial View cheap this summer and have had the self titled since 89. The self titled is more of your radical guitar shreaded fusion jamming and Aerial View has more melodic presentation. I love them both. I have yet to pick up the last one... I forget the title, but recorded while Puleo was still in the band. Im a Puleo freak. If you check out other vids on this site I mentioned you will find that Nora Bucci, besides being a total FOX can shame most men on guitar and the other Puleo replacement Scozzaro is awesome as well... but for me there is something about Puleo and he has so much fun while playing.

I should point out that Gamalon is actually Ted Reinhardt, the drummers little baby, apparently he had a little stint with Spiro Giro (sp?) years back then formed Gamalon. AND that Bruce Brucato while not having the presence and finess of Puleo is an awesome guitar player in his own right and a strong part of the backbone of the band through the years, only recently throwing in the towel.

I've had fusion in my blood since the mid 70's but for some reason Gamalon is my favorite, perhaps because they are younger blood, more my age and put a bit more rock and hard edge into their fusion. I love the clip where Puleo starts a jam with Blackmores intro to the Deep Purples song "Lazy"... one of my favorite Purple songs.

this band recieved little status outside their local Buffulo NY area........... :erk:

Gamalon freak... signing out.... lol

Anything that is instrumental from:

Yes
Camel
You stole my ideas.

So with the band Yes I'd recommend The Yes Album.
Camel I'd recommend Moonmadness(there are a few full instrumentals on this album that are perfection)

Don't know if you're into virtuoso stuff at all but i'd give Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson a shot. Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy as well.

I finally got around to fully listening to the newest God Is An Astronaut album (the song I posted above is from it) several times at work tonight.

Prolly gonna end up being my favourite non metal album of the year unless I stumble across something amazing in the next few days.

Sounds indeed like you would enjoy post-rock. I'm not the biggest fan personally, but there are some bands I like, here's a few with some ambient type bands thrown in for good measure:
Last March of the Ents
A Hawk in the Heavens
Port-Royal
Beware of Safety
This is Your Captain Speaking
A Death Cinematic
piers.
As the Stars Fall
Elysian Piers
Contest
Absent Without Leave

Going on from the little classical comment you made, you might enjoy some of these classical inspired artists:
Swod
Sylvain Cheavau
Hauschka
Murcof
Max Richter
Jacaszek
Chazz Knapp

i didn't see him mentioned but the god of guitar JEFF BECK has plenty of great instrumental albums. also vernon reid of living colour fame has few solo albums and they have very little vocals.