Grammy Awards

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Best performers of the night in no particular order:

1. Lady Gaga & Elton John- Their duet was fantastic.

2. Beyonce - Beyond sassy.

3. Zak Brown Band- Sometimes simple is best.

4. Mary J. Blige & Andre Bocelli- Mary was good. However, Andre reminded everyone that he is a man amongst boys & girls. The only chill bump moment of the night.

I would have loved to see Andre Bocelli. Just don't like most of the Grammy format. Hopefully his performance with Mary Blige will hit Youtube soon.

I liked the Gaga & Elton duet but I was kind of disappointed with the overall performance. It seemed like she got a lot less time than some of the other performances. Or at least didn't use the time wisely.
It felt like I fast-forwarded through 15 minutes of Eminem on stage and that was after I couldn't take the constant censorship after 2 min into the performance.

Not a fan of Pink's song but enjoyed the performance. I guess she did something similar at the VMAs though. Didn't watch those so I wasn't aware of that.

I liked when Stevie Nicks came out with Taylor Swift but I really can't get into Swift's music. I guess that's what happens when I can't relate to a girl singing about high school and first crushes.

Sorry, but the Grammys have more buy-ons than an OZZFEST gig.
How can anyone take this crap seriously?

I find it extremely offensive when Judas Priest wins (Finally) for a live rendition of a song that appeared originally on SIN AFTER SIN. I find it offensive that Motorhead won the grammy a couple years back for a Metallica cover. I find it offensive that Slayer won a couple years back for a throw away b-side that was included as a bonus track in a re-release.

Also, Slayer was nominated THIS year for Hate Worldwide, off of their latest which was released on November 3rd, which is BEYOND the scope of time for qualification.

So yeah, basically some suits get a list without even doing any research and says, "Oh, Slayer, yeah, they won before right, let's nominate them again!"

The only funny part I liked was that rap in the end.
I love how that rapper DRAKE is trying to be all legit!
He used to act on Degrassi - The Next Generation!
Yep, that's street right there.

To be back on topic, since my guess is my post will get deleted anyhow, as far as "sheep" pop music goes, my favorites were BLACK EYED PEAS and TAYLOR SWIFT. BEP put on a good visual show whenever they perform, and if I had to listen to generic pop music, their's has some good energy. I have a ton of respect for Swift, as she actually had a hand in writing every song on her album, plus I like how she did a grass roots stripped down version of her hit.

Bon Jovi???? Seriously? This is your first Grammy performance and that's the BEST you can do? I know they have been incorporating the whole country thing to sell records in the past few years, but I would think for their first appearance they wouldn't pull the "Bring out the country star to perform with us" card.

Now that was speedy, tanks!

Wow, shivers indeed. I don't care what kind of music you prefer, you cannot deny the quality of his voice. And Mary was an excellent countering female vox to him. Just incredible. Thanks, again. Whoo, still got the tingles.

Oh yeah, and that Bon Jovi "It's Your Pick" thing was corny. Did anyone actually believe they went out onto stage not knowing they'd be playing Livin' on a Prayer?

Sorry, but the Grammys have more buy-ons than an OZZFEST gig.. snip

I don't think you will find anyone around here that takes the actual awards seriously. That was not the intent of the post as it was just about the performances.

I agree that Taylor deserves all the respect in the world for writing her own songs. However, she is not the greatest live vocalist by any means.

Bon Jovi won their one & only grammy for that country duet last year. It made sense for that to be part of their show considering the crossover audience of the show. No argument on the rest though as it did appear to be phoned in.

As for the sheep comment, well... Hail and Kill bubba...Hail and Kill....

Oh yeah, and that Bon Jovi "It's Your Pick" thing was corny. Did anyone actually believe they went out onto stage not knowing they'd be playing Livin' on a Prayer?

Maybe Def Leppard had the right idea to lip synch on Dancing With The Stars.
At least you don't make a fool out of yourself.

Best performers of the night in no particular order:

4. Mary J. Blige & Andre Bocelli- Mary was good. However, Andre reminded everyone that he is a man amongst boys & girls. The only chill bump moment of the night.

Glad to see some love for Andrea Bocelli on here. The man is a vocal god. :kickass:

I agree that Taylor deserves all the respect in the world for writing her own songs. However, she is not the greatest live vocalist by any means.

Coming from someone born in Tennessee and raised on country music...she is the perfect example of how to breed a star. I do think she has a little talent because she helps write her own material...but I really think most of the praise goes to the producers who probably spice up her 3 chord songs.

As far as live performances...she is autotuned perfection.

As for the sheep comment, well... Hail and Kill bubba...Hail and Kill....

First off, I don't walk around throwing horns in the air, or even look metal to begin with. So if you are trying to insinuate that I am a stereotypical metalhead, you are FAR off base.

The sheep comment wasn't directed at anyone here who watched the show. I saw about 3/4 of it.

The whole process down to who gets nominated is just absurd.

Just like 10 years ago, when Britney Spears and J Timberlake would be front row, since they were dating, Beyonce and Jay Z get front row seats. Looks good for the cameras.

The bottom line here is that I am simply stating the obvious.
Commercial music and underground music, while both music and entertainment, are two completely different animals.

The grammys celebrates form over substance, which is what is disturbing.
Granted, it has always been the case, so I am wasting my typing.

Coming from someone born in Tennessee and raised on country music...she is the perfect example of how to breed a star. I do think she has a little talent because she helps write her own material...but I really think most of the praise goes to the producers who probably spice up her 3 chord songs.

As far as live performances...she is autotuned perfection.

No doubt.

Though I think it is cool that they market her as someone who does write their own songs. I think it's a good role model for the youth. With her, the success is due to her songwriting (regardless of how much is truly her own), as opposed to her looks, clothes, who she is dating, etc.

I just don't enjoy live performances enough to appreciate performances from artists' I don't like. That pretty much sums up 99.9% of award shows for me. With that said, I hate that I missed the Zac Brown Band performance, because they are truly a breath of freash air in a very stagnate Nashville scene imo.

~Brian~

The same things can be said for any televised awards show. I have been saying this about the Academy Awards for decades. It is funny because now it has turned into more of "what are they wearing and who are they with?" or "what political cause are we behind?" than actually there to celebrate film.
I think what is worse than the Grammys is that with the Academy Awards there are people who wont see a film and then it gets an award they will race out and see it then. Like that makes it worthwhile now. Everyone knows that all award shows are about selling more product from the artist to the advertising. They always try to put one or two retro or shocking moments in there so VH1 or yahoonews has something to post the next day. it is just an endless cycle.

I respect Beyonce. She can sing.

Bocelli, is just incredible. I'll need to watch this later on.

I heard a song from Zak Brown the other day, good stuff. Not going to say I was a big fan, but enough interest in the band's instrumentals that I want to hear more.

I want to see Pink's performance as well, as I have a lot of respect for her.