Greatest Album Ever

Ah, yes. I am guilty of that.

Anyway, I picked Nightfall because it captures so well the feeling of "epic doom". The first track, Gothic Stone, may be just a short into to the first song, but it has an awesomely dark, ominous tone to it. Really helps establish the sense of emptiness, dread and impending doom. It flows right into The Well of Souls, which is my favorite Candlemass song (perhaps favorite song all together). The story it tells is perfect for a doom album, the the lyrics are phenomenal (they are on the whole album, but here especially). The last verse, in particular, really stands out to me:

A new day's dawn, holy light
Sunlight redeems
slays the dark, warms and heals, makes you
see nightmares' terror is back in your dreams
Sleep well my friend 'cause
this tale's now to end, don't
believe our world is as safe's we pretend

Awesome. At The Gallows End, Dark are the Veils of Death Mourners Lament and Bewitched also tell stories that capture the doom aesthetic with great success (especially Bewitched, imo). And, of course, the biggest reason why Candlemass own so fucking hard: The riffs are fucking kick-ass all throughout the album. (On The Well of Souls and Samarithan especially).

A lot of people might say that Samarithan is one their finest songs, if not the finest. Once again, great story, lyrics and riffage. What strikes me most about it, though, is Messiah's performance. He's great over the entire album, but here especially. He was born to sing this song.

Even the "filler" tracks are winners. I've already mentioned Gothic Stone, and then Codex Gigas and Marche Funebre are worth listening to on their own. Black Candles is a bit lacking, imo, but still good.

So, that was probably the most retardedely written review of all time, but it'll have to do.

Excellent job.

Elliott Smith is the best song writer ever. If you dont feel totally sad after this song, you have no heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opeth´s Deliverance is another one i would put among the best. The kind of darkness that album has is unique,at least in the metal genre. It has a real life-vibe to it that makes it so powerful,no "satan is coming for you"-shit.

Elliott Smith either really does it for people, or it does nothing. I kind of think you had to get into those albums at the right time in your life. I'd rank XO extremely high on a best albums list. The others all have a few songs that really work, and then some filler. Either/Or and the s/t strike me as more consistent than the others. Just about all of it manages to avoid the emo/indie pitfalls that come with this kind of stuff.

Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve
Opeth - Morningrise
Xasthur/Leviathan

All great metal albums that have remained evocative and wholly engaging after a long time. Forgotten Legends is maybe the only everyday listen out of these choices. To me, these albums epitomize the power of music to connect with the listener and deliver feelings and experiences not attainable otherwise.

I shouldn't underestimate the way that Master of Puppets did this for me when I was 15 or so.

for me it's a toss up between KISS-Dynasty and Summoning-Stronghold
Morbid Angel-Altars and Blessed
Carcass-Symphonies and Necroticism
Ulver-The Madrigal of The Night
Destroyer 666-Unchain The Wolves
W.A.S.P-The Last Command
Kreator-Extreme Aggression

OK EVERYONE That will be quite enough now.

Let's not be like my 5 and 7 year old either and have to get "one more" in there. I now get the fun of wiping the ass of this thread and deleting some posts. Thanks, appreciate it.

EDIT: Thread cleaned, stay on topic, and try to explain "WHY" you think it is the greatest. Sorry Nec, next time a "report" will save you some time in the morning :)

This is completely personal but:

61vugjmv11L._SS500_.jpg

what is this?

Since Drunkard Rex wants an opinion as well as a choice, I'll give an opinion.

The Wall is classic. In my opinion it is the greatest album to ever be conceived. Why?

• The story line. The story line is one of isolation and the inevitable end to that isolation: insanity. It shows what happens when one builds a wall around oneself and will let no one in, emotionally, mentally, physically.
  • The songwriting. Many people complain that the songwriting is lacking because so much of this album is merely 'filler'. While this maybe true, this album is synergistic in nature. That is, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You may look at songs like 'Empty Spaces' and think 'What the fuck is the point of this? That's simply inadequate to fully appreciate what this album truly is at the heart of it all. When all of the songs are put together, you get an amazing journey into the heart of loneliness and madness.
  • Not many albums can give you such emotion, energy and passion in only 2 discs. This album says what it needs to say without going overboard and without pointless drivel just for the purpose of being pretentious
  • It's a great album, with or without pot

That's a pretty shit review, but it fulfills the requirement

I really don't see whats so special about Elliott Smith at all. Plus he reminds me of a creepy coffee shop dude.

He just has a very personal and real type of music. He never faked being anyone but himself and always did music that can relate to someones life.