Hammers Of Misfortune news...

terrorbat

New Metal Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hey All:

Hammers officially has a new line up. It only took a year to put the damn thing back together this time. Also, we're still looking for someone to put The Bastard and The Locust Years out on vinyl. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here are the details:

For Immediate Release

Hammers Of Misfortune has a new line up! First of all, original drummer Chewy has returned to the fold. This is great news and we are thrilled to have him back!

As for Vocals, we have two new members, Patrick Goodwin (Dirty Power) is playing guitar and assuming duties as our male lead vocalist. Jesse Quattro (Secret Chiefs 3, Carniceria) is our new Female vocalist. We're very excited to have Chewy back, and some excellent new voices in the band. We expect this incarnation to be our best yet. This line-up is confirmed to debut at the South By South West showcase in Austin TX, in March of '07. There will undoubtedly be shows prior to this, but they are a secret at the moment...

Hammers Of Misfortune official line-up:

Chewy - drums
Ron Nichols - bass
John Cobbett - guitar, etc.
Sigrid Sheie - piano, organ
Patrick Goodwin - voice, guitar
Jesse Quattro - voice, etc.

Knew that already, but since we've got an inofficial subscription on this board to anything related to Hammers, that's ok. I think UM has more traffic than their own forum anyway, so every nes is good news, haha...

Also, we're still looking for someone to put The Bastard and The Locust Years out on vinyl. Any ideas would be appreciated.

So what happened with Profound Lore Records? They've done some magnificent vinyl releases over the last couple of years, and they had The Bastard listed for what felt like an eternity. And then one day, it vanished from their "upcoming releases" list.

I bumped into the PL guys at a ProgPower Fest, ready with cash in hand for a pre-order of The Bastard, and they said they had difficulty making contact. The whole project was stagnant! I also sent you a couple of e-mails suggesting a small vinyl release of the Unholy Cadaver demo....alas no response! (But I recognized you might not be too keen to resurface the demo).

So I'm bang out of all ideas.

In the meantime, I'll go spin some Osgood Slaughter and quietly headbang at my desk to "Ack goes the Badger".

P.S. Good news about Chewy back in the fold.

Which artwork would you use for August?

Probably this one?

AugustVinylFront.jpg

:p

whooo hooo. Excellent news John.

Btw, Profound Lore Records would be a good way to get vinyls done.

Which artwork would you use for August?

August Engine is still available on vinyl, and that's the cover you see above. I have boxes of them.

As for Profound Lore, their release schedule got too hectic and all future vinyl is on hold for now. That's what they tell me...

So here's a question for all:

When are we going to see Hammers of Misfortune on stage at ProgPower USA?

I can't think of a better event to showcase one of the greatest bands on the planet today. Jim -- what's Glenn got to say about all this?!

I can't think of a better event to showcase one of the greatest bands on the planet today. Jim -- what's Glenn got to say about all this?!

He never said much whenever I brought the name up (04 is the only year when I could have realistically suggested it). And considering I don't have any plans on stepping foot on American soil again (just because I hate traveling), I think the real question is when will they be at ProgPower Europe?

I think they are not "tasty" enough for those events. You know what I mean, Jim, when you refer to prog metal as something for your common office worker who wants to get loud occasionally after work...that is basically the ProgPower clientele...I mean: Stratovarius or Kamelot are prog? - are they even metal?

For the most part, the bands at progpower are very shiny and clean. And every once in a while, you'll get an oddball like Orphaned Land (who quite easily stole the show). Next year we've got Virgin Steele on the roster. So you never know....

I'm not even sure if Glenn's even heard the Hammers. Perhaps I should just send him a CD-R of the August Engine.

I can't believe ProgPower didn't get Cynic on for next year and hasn't gotten Canvas Solaris on to date. I mean, ticket sales say differently, but I don't think it's been a well-billed fest for several years running.

And Hammers would go over well, to be sure.

I don't see the PP crowd as easily pigeonholed. Most of them are longtime metal fans who have broad taste. Of course there is a vocal segment who refuses to listen to anything with growling, or who have Paul Gilbert tattoos, but for the most part it's just about as open-minded of a metal crowd as you'll find.

The prog crowd are strange people. There was an Opeth track on a German prog magazine sampler once, and there were complaints about that horrible noise in the following issue.:lol:

We're talking about touring Europe in Aug/Sept 07. I wonder if anyone will show up? We'll find out I guess. When/where are these progpowerpowerprog festivals? How much do you have to pay to play them?

-J

We're talking about touring Europe in Aug/Sept 07. I wonder if anyone will show up? We'll find out I guess. When/where are these progpowerpowerprog festivals? How much do you have to pay to play them?

-J

John - I find it odd that you aren't running away from the idea of doing a concert for the ProgPower crowds of any continent.

Does that say more about me being narrowminded or your openness to play gigs anywhere?

Either way, Hammers playing anywhere is worth :kickass:

Only if you want to =p

A lot of people don't drink all that much while there, including some of the musicians ;)

I think that the Progpower crowd would love Hammers of Misfortune, and there would be repeated calls for their return.