How do they rate for you!?

Have you heard Invisible Circles? Aside from the god awful spoken parts, it's a terrific disc. Floor has an amazing voice and I'm very much looking forward to hearing her sing live.
Heh, Dave removed those when he loaded it up on the radio. Sounds much better!

I didn't rate Krucible or the All Star Jam simply because I thought this was a rating of what you already thought of the bands, not an indication of anticipation. I'm greatly looking forward to both and in a post wrap up, I'm sure my ratings for some bands will be adjusted upward.
Interesting how many 10's Vanden Plas recieved. Anyone ambitious enough to do a tally?

I didn't rate Krucible or the All Star Jam simply because I thought this was a rating of what you already thought of the bands, not an indication of anticipation.
Well, I already know what I think of the bands. Lance is their singer, so they're no worse than a 7.:loco:

Interesting how many 10's Vanden Plas recieved. Anyone ambitious enough to do a tally?
Not surprising. Check out this poll I did in June of '06.

Returning Bands Poll

Zod

Raintime - 7
Communic - 7
Virgin Steele - 10
Redemption - 8
Pagan's Mind - (7) I've listened to only a few songs no idea what to expect from these guys!
Sonata Arctica - 9

Firewind - 9
Threshold - 8
Primal Fear - 10
After Forever - 8 I like what I've heard, but

Showcase
Krucible 7
Cellador 7
Freak Kitchen 10
Vanden Plas 8

BTW. I think Virgin Steele will get a lot more love than these threads indicate. Purely, because I think there is a strong crowd outside of the forums that goes to PP that will be fans of VS's style.

And not liking his voice.... to me.... is like not liking Dio/Tate/Halford/Dickinson/early-Ozzy/etc... to many others. I can't understand it. He has the most dynamics of any singer I've heard, he's basically pitch perfect, he 'yowlz' like a madman, can add dio'ish grit when he wants. That and ... unlike many other metal singers, he can hit incredibly high notes with vibrato.

Its partly his voice, but VS also has some of the most complicated compositions you'll hear in metal. But whatevers. VS is an original metal band, that put out thrash before Overkill, did neo-classical metal before Yngwie, and did the 'Manowar' thing before Manowar.

Have you heard Invisible Circles? Aside from the god awful spoken parts, it's a terrific disc. Floor has an amazing voice and I'm very much looking forward to hearing her sing live.

I know I heard one and parts of another and it just didn't do anything for me at all. Certainly couldn't hurt to revisit (or at least give the one you mention a shot if I missed that one).

One thing's for sure, sometimes bands can win you over in a live setting even if the studio output doesn't do much for you. It's happened before, so if everyone's checking out this gig, it sure wouldn't hurt to do so myself, plus, I'm sure spirits will be high with the pending All Star jam. I'll go in with an open mind all the way.

Jason

Scale: 1 being least fav, 10 being best, 11 "Spinal Tap" level :lol:

Showcase:

Krucible - *
Cellador - 5 (Haven't quite figured out this band)
Freak Kitchen - 9 (IA is a guitar master)
Vanden Plas - 9

Day 1:

Raintime - 7
Communic - 8
Virgin Steele - 1 (they put me to sleep zzzzzzz) :rolleyes:
Redemption - 8
Pagan's Mind - 10 (Hope they sell their new album early)
Sonata Arctica - 10 (If Unia was better - 11)

Day 2

Firewind - 10 (Gus G is a guitar god. If Apollo sang - 11)
Threshold - 5 (latest album is good, before that zzzzzz)
Primal Fear - 8
After Forever - 10 (Floor is awesome!)
All Star Jam - **

* - Since Krucible is a new band, I really haven't checked them out yet. I've heard the clips on their MySpace page and they sound good. I know if Lance King is involved, they'll be great. Right now based upon what I've heard they'll be at least a 9.

** - Hard to predict this one. Based upon what I've heard, this will probably be at least a 8 to 9. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

And not liking his voice.... to me.... is like not liking Dio/Tate/Halford/Dickinson/early-Ozzy/etc... to many others. I can't understand it.
Is this a game of "Which one doesn't belong with the others"? How did Ozzy, who sounds like a dying harp seal, get thrown into a group of vocal gods?

To your point, I too don't understand the lack of love for David's voice. It's unique, but familiar. It's perfect for Metal. Really looking forward to hearing him sing.

Does anyone have any guesses what the VS set list will look like.

Zod

One thing's for sure, sometimes bands can win you over in a live setting even if the studio output doesn't do much for you.
From what I hear, Floor is suppose to be a very high energy front woman.

...I'm sure spirits will be high with the pending All Star jam. I'll go in with an open mind all the way.
Floor and Lance are probably the two people, whose performances I'm most looking forward, in respect to the Jam. I'm hoping she does "Magic Man" by Heart.

Zod

No clue. There are a few staple types of songs, but they seem to play from nearly their full catalog, but I don't expect anything prior to Marriage of Heaven and Hell part 1. Unless its like Metal City, or Cry out in the night... even though I'd love to hear Guardians of Flame. And of course I hope to hear off their latest album 'fuck you Adam, fuck you Eve, fuck your God and his infernal needs, fuck your children poison seed, like a cancer you'll conceive"

In the set-list thread a couple past VS set lists were posted for reference.

Ozzy made it on there because some people thing he is the greatest metal vocalist of all time. Including Halford o_O

Ozzy made it on there because some people thing he is the greatest metal vocalist of all time. Including Halford o_O
Just one of my pet peeves. People (not necessarily you) too often confuse enjoying a singer's style and that singer being a skilled vocalist. I love Vince Neil's voice, but Vince can't sing.

Zod

From what I hear, Floor is suppose to be a very high energy front woman.

Is that right? Cool, that's a good sign - Andy B. Frank won me over with both Symphorce and Brainstorm based on the incredible energy he brought to the stage.

Zod said:
Floor and Lance are probably the two people, whose performances I'm most looking forward, in respect to the Jam. I'm hoping she does "Magic Man" by Heart.

That would rule - I LOVE that song. Heart's 70's output is very underrated. That song, "Kick it Out", "Barracuda", etc. are all great stuff. As a side note, I saw Heart at Sweden Rock and they performed many of those songs. It was outstanding.

Jason

In the set-list thread a couple past VS set lists were posted for reference.

Yeah, I checked that thread out previously - the closest setlist is over 18 months old, so I'm quite sure it will be very different from what we hear at PP.

Geez though, the setlist from Athens in 2004 was downright amazing! Obviously they headlined that night - that looked like it was almost a 3 hour set or something.

Jason

Geez though, the setlist from Athens in 2004 was downright amazing! Obviously they headlined that night - that looked like it was almost a 3 hour set or something.
If you have some guess, as to what you think we'll hear, e-mail me. I'm not very familiar with their discography, but have liked what I've heard.

Zod

Krucible - 5
Cellador - 7
Freak Kitchen - 8
Vanden Plas - 6

Raintime - 7
Communic - 5
Virgin Steele - 3
Redemption - 5
Pagan's MInd - 6
Sonata Arctica - 9

Firewind - 9
Threshold - 8
Primal Fear - 9
After Forever - 5
All Star Jam - 9

Krucible - ?
Cellador - ?
Freak Kitchen - 8 *
Vanden Plas - 10

Raintime - 7 *
Communic - 9 *
Virgin Steele - 3 *
Redemption - 11!
Pagan's Mind - 9
Sonata Arctica - ?

Firewind - 4 (but 8 for comedy value)
Threshold - 10
Primal Fear - ?
After Forever - 7 *
All Star Jam - 8

? means I haven't heard enough to decide
* means I've only heard a few sample songs

Krucible - no idea
Cellador - 7*
Freak Kitchen - 8.5
Vanden Plas - 3*

Raintime - 6*
Communic - 2*
Virgin Steele - no idea
Redemption - 4*
Pagan's Mind - 4*
Sonata Arctica - 4,000

Firewind - 9
Threshold - 8.5
Primal Fear - 7*
After Forever - 7*
All Star Jam - no idea, but should be interesting

*I've only listened to these a few times, so my opinion may change after I hear some more.

Since its getting close to the festival and how do you rate the bands playing!

Raintime - 7.5
Communic - 9.5
Virgin Steele - 3
Redemption - 8
Pagan's MInd - 8.5
Sonata Arctica - 9

Firewind - 8
Threshold - 8
Primal Fear - 8
After Forever 8.5
All Star Jam - 7 :)p)
VS 8/10