How do you become a music video director?

Morei

Know who U are
Feb 25, 2004
London, England
mysite.freeserve.com
You know i've always seen music videos on TV & thought to myself "what the f**k was that, i could do so much better!!!" but i have no clue as to how i could get into the music video industry itself so i was just wondering if anybody knew how :confused: ???

I know this thread dosn't have anything "directly" involved with DT but it is a music forum with music fans & so i thought it be a good place to ask the question

Ask Narcoloth... no, wait, he left a long time ago.

Hmm, take schooling on film? study films and their effects? practice with a camera? I'm not really any help...

@fireangel: Uhm, i'm really sorry to see your post gone, it was really very informative. Maybe the guy checked the thread but just didn't bother posting back, who knows.. But i don't think that should be a reason for you to delete a very good post or stop posting such posts (unless of course you feel it's a waste of time, when noone would blame you..). Still, posts like that might be useful for other people who happen to read them. And it's really a pity to delete something that took you so much time and effort to write.

@fireangel: exactly what siren said. we are all interested, and your long, informative posts that show culture and interest about many different but equally interesting subjects are such an important part of this board that i would honestly hate to see them gone, for whatever reason. :cry:

@fireangel: i just want to make a couple of comments on what you just wrote:

- as i already said i found your post interesting, but still it was just a good coincidence i happened to read it: my being on the net is not very regular, and if the timing had been different i'd have lost it. So it is possible for people who are interested to lose such nice posts if you delete them. ;)

- i do agree on the "those who really seriously like to try this career will find out themselves" idea. In fact, the initial post on this thread quite struck me, because if someone was _really_ interested in taking up a career in such a direction, it shouldn't be so hard to try searching for schools and such (which, if i'm not mistaken, are quite common).

fireangel: I'm sorry but I really must differ.
The fact that he never came back to his own question's thread does not mean you have to go out of your way to remove your response. You forget that this is a public forum, and you can't assume the one who made the question is the only person on earth with it or interested in its answer. Just because no one replies or responds to a post I write doesn't mean I should go back and just remove it.
Take me for example. If I'm interested in a specific aspect of a band or I'm seeking an answer to a certain question, I go to the forum and do a search. I get A LOT of information just by reading posts in message boards, and not necessarily new or recent ones, and I don't necessarily reply saying so.
And as it has been stated, your post was very detailed, informative, and relevant; and the fact that one person didn't give you feedback about it does not justify removing it.
Lastly, the point (also already made) that it must've taken some effort to produce that post, and I just fail to understand why you'd even want to remove it in the first place after taking your time to make it, regardless of anything.

I think she explained it quite well:
fireangel said:
I deleted my post because I am totally sick of people who start threads and ask questions and never come back to check or even say "thank you" like any polite person would do. If that behaviour doesn´t change, I won´t write such long posts anymore to persons which are new. Probably it was just a spontaneous idea of him and five minutes later already unimportant. If that was the case, don´t waste our time anymore and don´t post questions (same goes for the "I plan a tattoo-guy" btw).
If you simply don´t have internet on a regular basis, then it would not hurt to write: "hey, don´t know when I can come back to check the answers, so please be patient"; everybody would understand, no problem. But not so.
it's annoying and pisses people off, and besides, you are free to delete your own posts, without people questioning it. big deal. :Spam:

Well yeah, I perfectly understand where she's coming from, and it's fine to decide not to write long posts to certain people or under certain conditions from now on; I just disagree with her going back and deleting good posts she's already made ..posts that have become part of this informative database, which is one of the main purposes of message boards.

Oh and if you want a guaranteed response to anything and everything you say, become an asshole and head over to the Children of Bodom forums to pick on some gullible CoB fans or for some trolling, since it has become THE thing to do nowadays :)mad: )

@DIM: But also, instead of deleting a post that already had been made, she could have just avoided to answer at such posts in the future. Nobody questions her deleting her own post, it's her post and her right to do so, and in much the same way it's our right to voice our disagreement with it. :loco:

edit: @MagSec: who the hell do you think you are and you're replying to a post refered to you, at the same time as me, and copying my very own ideas! >((

well honesly i must say that bitching about wasted time on the internet is a bit odd. i consider my time on the net wasted per se, and if i reply to someone, it's just because i want to. i don't feel obliged to help people on the net if someone asks a question at random, and if i do reply, i do because the answer is simple for me, or because i have an interest in the topic, or whatever. if you dig out loads of useful stuff in your free time for others, well, that's honorable, but basically your problem. of course it's unpolite not to honor such an effort, but i doubt the thread starter expected detailed info. just a random question. and since i didn't read your initial post, i can't even say how much effort it was.
so, all in all, if you want your output recognized and honored, sell it or something, publish it in a newspaper, but don't expect an overwhelming response from a bloody internet forum.

on the one hand, i completely agree that everyone should be able to cope with the consequences of posting something that gets flamed, ridiculed, or ignored, without making a big fuss about it, for better or worse.

still, it's in everybody's interest that people who don't just spam threads with one-liners (and i sometimes do), boring repetitive flirting with a few promising guys (and i do it all the time), or murky remarks about current predicaments nobody can possibly get (and i do it, by accident, more than i would like to) get the feedback they deserve to feel the motivation to keep on posting.

so while i might not share fireangel's opinion about the fate of her post, i find it more important to draw users into replying to the questions they pose, if only because *i* like reading fireangel's (and many others', of course) educated and interesting messages.

btw, i checked only later on who was responsible for this thread: morei is a recent acquisition of this board, but not a user at his first post here either. it seems entirely possible to me that he is simply in no condition to access the net or this board. though i haven't checked his profile page for his last activity (yet).

wooooooooo, ok, seems like iv kinda ticked off fireangle a bit :erk: so fireangle, im really really really sorry i didn't post a reply to say thank you but you see i'm like a part time net user, i can't always check my PC everyday & when i do, i can't use it for a long amount of time, so im not trying to be rude or anything. sorry again

fireangel said:
And I read your post about the trollism already yesterday, well written, I hope the fellas understand, because it is often up to both sides keeping a flame war down, the starter and the respondant.
I thought you 'didn't go by there anymore' :rolleyes:

But yeah, I hope people finally understand. Actually, I was glad to know that I did get through to many of them.
I don't expect it to stop altogether though..