How does the oddball selection work?

I don't take in consideration EG and VP. They are not part of the 2 day fest. It wasn't that long ago that the kick off night was being emphatically promoted as a stand-alone.

Ok, fair enough. So which are the 7 non-traditional prog/power bands in this year's 2-day lineup?

So, I probably should have commented on the trending of the fest. Which can be said without doubt, is headed the way of doom/death/black.

By *my* definitions, of the 13 bands, I count 2 with a hint or more of doom/death/black in them (Ihsahn and Therion), 11 that are exclusively traditional prog/power, and 13 that contain a hint or more of prog/power in them.

So if this trend has been continuing for a decade, and it's still only gotten us to a couple of prog bands with some doom/death/black influence, that's one slow-ass trend! If it continues at the current pace, by ProgPower XX we might have one actual death metal band, one black-prog band, and still 10 traditional prog/power bands.

Neil

Oh. *that* guy again? the one that claimed that tickets wouldn't sell because the lineup ...actually changes from year to year?

^What he said. REason I thought it was the same guy was that they were both using the same sort of half-assed quasi-troll logic.

These days, a band like Orphaned Land is the norm. A band like Darkwater is more the oddball.::shrug::

People actually buy bands like Orphaned Land so there's your answer. Also Orphaned Land is actually progressive.

^this

As the fest turns more toward doom/death/black, the traditional prog/power bands are in the minority. I don't think tastes are broadening so much as a different audience is being sought.

lol traditional prog?

What about this is rooted at all in prog rock or power metal? They sound nothing like King Crimson, Rush, Yes, Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian etc, whereas Orphaned Land actually does have prog rock roots. Hell I'd make the argument (and get flamed for it) that the above song sounds more like Breaking Benjamin than anything progressive. I'm not hating on the band though (and I love Breaking Benjamin too), but just criticizing your bitching as uninformed. Calling a band death metal or black metal because they have a few moments of non-melodic singing is ridiculous. I guess Louis Armstrong is death metal and James Brown is black metal then right?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fuckin' oddballs, how do they work? I don't wanna talk to promoter n shit, mothafucka's lyin n gettin me pissed!" - Internet Clueless Posse