Inception

I understand the male viewpoint of not liking the pretty boy hollywood actors ..ie DiCaprio and Pitt, they are always hit and miss and overly hyped, but I thought he was really good in this movie, the movie within a movie within another movie....and then.... MINDFUCK

qrwRq.png

Saw it! I was already a fan of Memento, so I knew it was going to be good... but the sheer creativity blew me away! I had no idea it would be so good. The idea that someone can be so creative inspires me, one of the best movies I have ever seen. absolutely amazing!

ANYTHING WITH leo and pitt must be shit. but hey i could be wrong - with you all saying its a choc milk dream it's on at the imax so I can't close the door., maybe they will give away the tickets for free soon.

Don't read this, Kevin! Not for two days!

I thought it was great. Well structured, laid out, allusions galore.

However, it wasn't earth-shattering, not in the same way that a true masterpiece-of-a-mind-fuck should be. It was a powerfully original concept and story, masterfully woven, but still just that: a story. Nice for a couple hours discussion afterwards with friends over coffee, but mostly about the surface level story, about the weaving of the tale. No actual deep, philosophic, teleologic, psychological or ontonlogical meanings really there to be uncovered, explored, and disseminated, which I think is what Christopher Nolan was going for.

It's sort of a trap, I think, to try to create these huge, supposedly deep introspective works while rocking the budget of a huge Hollywood blockbuster. It's almost as if Nolan was trying to make a thoughtful arthouse film on a James Cameron budget. I suppose it's a matter of trying to please all the people, but he seems to thumb his nose at that sentiment while at the same time closetedly trying to embrace it in the least conspicuous way he can. Guys like Kubrick and Lynch mastered the art of blowing minds by proxy, not by hitting you over the head with stunning images, and forcing the viewer with lots of mental work, but by shattering your illusions of what cinema is, not what it can be.

Inception is a great story; original, gripping, visually arresting more often than not, but not that much more than that.