Is it too much to hope for....

Oct 4, 2007
...a 2 DVD set from PPVIII?

Have one DVD include performances from the various artists over the weekend (I'd really hope for PF's Fighting the Darkness). DVD 2 would feature the All-Star Jam in its entirety.

There was so much great stuff this weekend, it seems a shame to limit it to only one DVD

There might be a few too many fees involved with getting the All Star jam released in its entirety. Glenn mentioned that Center Stage pays the fees for cover songs but I think it'd have to come out of his pocket to get the permission for a DVD.

Yes, and the last time I looked into it, there was a bunch of confusion over exactly what fees are charging for a *video* reproduction of copyrighted material. It is very easy to deal with the audio portion, but can get quite pricy when you add up all the fees for the various tracks. God only knows what it would be for the video too. Even Harry Fox didn't seem to know how to handle this.

There might be a few too many fees involved with getting the All Star jam released in its entirety.
To put something like that out, it would probably be costly, yes.

You have to get a synchronization license (that's permission to put video to audio) for EACH song. And synchronization licenses are WAY more expensive than audio (mechanical licenses).

With audio it is usually easy enough - you just hop on Harry Fox Agency’s website and most songs you can think of are there. You just pay the fee (it's by the number of copies you'll be producing and the length of the song) and that's usually it.

With video, you typically have to contact the publisher (which means you have to find out who that is first). Many times you can just deal with them and they can make the arrangements. However, certain artists are picky about who covers their material, and may require the publisher’s management to come to them for permission (assuming they still own the publishing rights). Some may even want to hear/see the footage. If they don't give permission, you can't do it. Period. If you do get permission, you have to fill out a lengthy form for each song (and again, it can be very expensive). You have to do this for each song (and there will be more than one publisher to deal with having so many songs).

So if a DVD like this was planned, it would be possible that not all the songs would be on it even if you wanted them there. It also may be that the total cost for fees, licenses, duplication, etc. would be so high that it isn’t cost feasible given the demand...

Glenn mentioned that Center Stage pays the fees for cover songs but I think it'd have to come out of his pocket to get the permission for a DVD.
Yep, that is a different fee. Live venues typically pay ASCAP and BMI so that covers can be performed there. If you've ever been in a band, you've probably run into a situation where you played a certain place and they told you "no BMI songs!" or even "no cover songs!".

Fucking greedy RIAA bastards!!!! You would think that they would welcome the chance to get the product out any way they can, but they have to demand an arm and a leg.

That is why DVD sets of classic TV shows have much of the soul taken out of them--the companies don't want to bother tracking down the expensive licensing and so they have to go with either cutting the scene altogether or putting in some generic replacement music that never sounds as good. Check out some of the Hunter or Greatest AMerican Hero shows and you'll see what I mean.

And I won't even get into what they did with WKRP, except to say at least that did a passable job of editing in the generic music, even if they had to cut or trim a few scenes to minimize references. to actual bands.

Yeah, I've heard of venues banning cover songs entirely, but that's the only time I've heard of a venue banning cover songs by only ONE of the PROs and not the other - but I guess that's because BMI was threatening legal action at the time?

Yeah, I've heard of venues banning cover songs entirely, but that's the only time I've heard of a venue banning cover songs by only ONE of the PROs and not the other - but I guess that's because BMI was threatening legal action at the time?

BMI probably sent their legal goons in. They are reportedly quicker to do that than ASCAP is....I remember they tried to shake down the Wreck Room here about 11 years ago. And yep, the owner declined to pay, and BMI artists' tunes were thenceforth verboten on either the PA or in bands' sets.

Interestingly, ASCAP actually pays its artists -- even the smaller ones --whereas BMI doesn't seem to bother unless you're huge. Case in point: Lyle from Ghoultown (ASCAP) and Solitude Aeturnus (BMI). Guess which band he's gotten a check for?