Is there any way to get just the music in songs?

The Greys said:
If you're in a room on a computer listening to music thinking it was created for you,is your music to alter that is fuck up. Regardless you have no part in their music. A band creates music for themselves. If people like it then a band can write personally and maybe for real fans that like the band. If a band and other people understand have you thought you do not ?. You might be the problem not someone's 'band'. Why is someone's music about only your selfishness. Are you forgetting about the band failing to realize their music does not have imperfections because you think so. They took time to write and record the music, not you. Simply do not listen to the band if you think so. Wanting to do something ridiculous like altering 'music' you're not getting is wrong. What stands you out from anyone else. What puts you on the power trip. Why alter music you did not create because you think it has imperfections because you don't like something about a band. If a band does not think they have imperfections or even other people maybe you should leave the bands music alone. That band is not for you. Why is it so hard to listen to finding CDs you enjoy. Why do you think about computers and altering bands music with programs. Get a hobby or something for christ sakes. Why 2005

This is the first time I've heard of someone 'altering' a bands music. I'm curious to know motives and why. I'd like to get some answers from the poster of the thread.

I want to avoid the thread but can't.

Pull The Plug said:
The Greys I think if you just accept this one time that you mucked up, this will be over.

Honestly your argument has nothing to hold it together, let me put it together for you in a simple matter:

-This guy would like to enjoy this music without listening to the vocals or anything else he would like to remove.

-You insist that this is wrong and should not be done, it removes depth or meaning from music.

While undoubtebly the artists original intention would be for the listener to hear their musical creation/product in its entire unaltered beauty, i'm sure they would not mind if the listener finds certain aspects brilliant and others not. This hit and miss affair, can in many ways result in a larger listening audience (Opeth prove this point with the acoustic ballad or 'white' side of their music).

In any case, this individual is altering this music simply for his own listening pleasure. This is not disrespecting a band of its music and creation, but instead embracing the (personally) greater aspects on another level.

So much music is imperfect, yet at the same time there is much to enjoy about it. So why disregard imperfect music instead of filtering and enjoying what you can?

Music is made to be aurally pleasing, he is trying to make the few songs he listed up there that bit more enjoyable to him. Explain why he should go against musics own intention.

I wrote this before you wrote what you wrote, but what I wrote looks like a reply because it responded to the issues you brought up repeated times. You've been proved wrong a million times by everyone.

You cant be so thickheaded as to actually continue? EXPLAIN how he is being selfish by ENJOYING the bands music without vocals. Why dont you email the band and ask them yourself. To be proved wrong by the artist would be a mighty embarassment now wouldnt it The Greys?

I want The Greys to die. I seriously hope that he dies, and that I'm somehow able to find out about it, because it would really make my day. I know he's just an internet persona but man would I get a hard on at his funeral, I swear to god.

Pyrus said:
THE GREYS vs. DEMIURGE - BATTLE OF THE TITANS!

Actually, this is more like Nazi Germany vs. Poland if everyone in Poland sniffed glue.

^ har har

Even though I shouldn't even bother continuing to refute The Greys.. I just thought of the Neurosis and Tribes of Neurot albums... They were MEANT to be played simultaneously because they compliment each other. So by your logic if you bought just one, you would be doing the band an injustice by listening to it :loco:

This thread is a big fucking joke. The Greys give it up already you lost just admit and move on, you have no point no compelling argument, in short you have nothing. Continuing this debate will only show your stupidity.

Dodens Grav said:
I want The Greys to die. I seriously hope that he dies, and that I'm somehow able to find out about it, because it would really make my day. I know he's just an internet persona but man would I get a hard on at his funeral, I swear to god.

The Greys said:
What would give someone the write to remove a member from a band when they as an entire group put out the material. You should not be able to altar someone's musical product from the original since you did not make,write it. Unless you actually get permission from the 'band' that to me is wrong. Do not toy with stuff like that. It's copy written,you're not in the band, it's not your music to fuck with.
So, if you even listen to their CD in your home, you are "fucking with it" because it does not sound exactly as the band intended it because they mixed in the studio and you are usign different speakers than they did.

And holy fuck, you can forget about EQing it in your mp3 player. That's downright copyright infringement and jail-time worthy.

I might have said something like that, but his argument was so much like a piece of swiss cheese in a woodpecker's nest that I didn't even bother.

Naggamanteh said:
What's wrong with wanting to listen to something pleasant privately? How does that affect the band or anyone? There are bands that sound like wank with vocals (Summoning, Graveland) and they would be excellent without them. I wish there was a button that removes shitty vocals, there would be a lot more music to listen to.
i agree fully here.
i've often wondered myself if there was such a tool.

hey, when you've found such, let me know :D

To get back to the topic......completely removing most vocals is generally impossible, because they're mixed in with the other music. If the music is mixed in a certain way, there are certain programs that use the frequently range vocals are usually on and take those out. You just have to try it on different tracks. Sometimes it does a seamless job, sometimes it does an okay job, sometimes it has no effect at all. Just depends on the song and the way it is mixed.

I'll look for that plugin for you guys so you can try it.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

That's it. I've got to tell you though, I don't think you're going to be able to completely remove Dream Theater's vocals. With most things, you're generally doing well if you can here the vocals really low in the background......there are just some cases where you can completely knock them out.

I tested some Dream Theater songs.....just varying results, even within the same album. "Beyond This Life" is pretty weird........it cuts James LaBrie's vocals out perfectly in the verses, but you can still hear Portnoy's and Petrucci's harmonies, since they're mixed differently. But then for the bridge thing ("our deeds have travelled....") James comes right back in. So just don't go in with the expectation that you're going to completely remove anything. Also, a lot of times it kind of fucks up the way it sounds, since it takes out things on a certain frequency.......besides the general sound changing, I noticed an instance of a guitar solo getting cut on one song. So......just have fun with it and don't expect too much.

Melodeath said:
So, if you even listen to their CD in your home, you are "fucking with it" because it does not sound exactly as the band intended it because they mixed in the studio and you are usign different speakers than they did.

And holy fuck, you can forget about EQing it in your mp3 player. That's downright copyright infringement and jail-time worthy.

How does fucking with stereo setting makes music its self sound different than the original cd of a bands music ?. The music is going to be the same no matter bass,tremble,setting,etc.... If you play two of the same cds with different settings the music is the same but not when it's altered from the original by removing vocals or whatever.

Removing vocals,changing instruments is not the samething as 'stereo' settings and sound. It is actually changing the music from the original. That's not the samething. I'm not going to argue on this anymore. Not one person in this thread understands what I mean, I look like the idiot and that's final.

Lets not have bands anymore then. Just record some instruments,vocals on a cd in no order so fans can put it together the way they want so it sounds 'perfect' and 'ideal' for them. If you don't like vocals or an instrument remove it. You can also name the band,write the lyrics so it fits your every need too.

The Greys said:
Just record some instruments,vocals on a cd in no order so fans can put it together the way they want so it sounds 'perfect' and 'ideal' for them.
sounds like a patent-worthy suggestion :cool:

i have not read everything that was written here in this thread, but I think I know what you mean.
but as long as it is just for your own use and you do not make any financial profit with it, it should be no issue, just like the thing with copying your CD for private purposes.