DEMONSPELL’S SONGS TO WATCH
Issue 59 – “Lost are days of spring…”
Written April 18-19, 2003
www.mp3.com/stations/songstowatch - recent additions:
Andromeda – Reaching Deep Within
Dark Tranquillity – Monochromatic Stains
Naglfar – I Am Vengeance
Solefald – Mont Blanc Providence Crow
Note: all four are credited to Century Media instead of the artist name. In addition, a few songs by CM artists lost due to the recent changes at mp3.com have been restored.

Greetings, devoted readers: Extreme metal, instrumental prog, the lesser known Progpower artists, etc…it’s all here in this long-delayed issue.

Antimatter – Expire, The Soft Art Of Landing: Duncan Patterson and Mick Moss continue to rival the former’s former bandmates in Anathema for melancholic depressive music, and with these bleak compositions from the forthcoming Lights Out, succeed in conveying the most desperate of emotions. Latter track available at official site.

Armageddon – Heart Of Ice, Into The Sun: Chris Amott’s has given this name to three entirely different albums recorded outside of Arch Enemy. The former track appears on last year’s Three, an above average melodic metal release. The latter is from their “debut” Crossing The Rubicon, which comes closest to the Gothenburg sound, although a bit more technical than his main gig.

Chain – Impact, The Augmented Animal: One of the first in a rapid succession of diverse signings to the startup progrock label called (wait for it) Progrock Records. This is the best that I’ve heard, an ambitious concept album about evolution. Musically, this is heavily detailed and reliant upon keyboards, and the latter track contains an excellent chorus.

Circle II Circle – Fields Of Sorrow, Out Of Reach: The first of several surprise additions to the Progpower IV roster covered in this issue, and one I should be avoiding reviewing as it features Zak Stevens, and sounds similar to Savatage, a band I detest immensely…and the former contains a pseudo-operatic chorale as bloodcurdling as anything on Wake Of Magellan. For the most part not as offensive musically as Savatage, but still highly disposable.

Death Machine – Last Breath, Dead: Featuring three-quarters of Zero Hour, this at first glance might seem like another meaningless side project…and you would be completely wrong, as the members take this highly successful attempt at tech-death as seriously as Zero Hour, and their efforts have paid off with a signing to Sensory.

Detonation – Sword Carved Skin, An Epic Defiance: Another band who has received an invaluable promotional push from this site, and it has paid off with a recent signing to Osmose, a label infamous for its copy protection policy. All that aside, this is highly aggressive black metal that should appeal to fans of the rawer side of the genre. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Djam Karet – Hungry Ghosts, Scary Circus: One of progressive rock’s most accomplished groups of instrumentalists, their new release A Night For Baku follows in the path of their last two excellent albums. The nine-minute former track shows their ability to create dense soundscapes while retaining a sense of urgency, while the more compact former track, available at www.cuneiformrecords.com, contains some great organ playing, sounding a bit like its title would suggest.

Enslaved – Enemy I, Queen Of Night: Indirectly described by Jim Raggi as metal’s most progressive band in a recent column at www.appropriateapocalypse.com (trust me, read this!), the band has reached into uncharted territory on their last two albums, and based on the latter track from the forthcoming Below The Lights, available at www.theendrecords.com, they will continue to be just as adventurous and intricate…and that flute intro just rules!

Exhibition – Shattered Memories, A New Beginning: Composed primarily of members from the disbanded enigmatic prog-metal act Eternity X, this project goes in a more conventional direction for the genre, although the musicianship is above average and the depressive sound of The Edge is present here, especially on the former track, based on a true story and available at www.mp3.com

The Gathering – Broken Glass, Even The Spirits Are Afraid: This band has always changed from album to album, with Anneke’s vocals being one of the few constants. On their latest album Souvenirs, they go in a more trippy direction, and both of these tracks work surprisingly well, especially the latter, which creates a delicate atmosphere. Former track available at www.theendrecords.com

God Dethroned – Into The Lungs Of Hell, Slaughtering The Faithful: The death metallers return with another album full of ravenous attitude and killer riffs, although as usual in this genre, the songwriting remains a weakness, and the former track contains an unintentionally silly chorus.

Grand Belial’s Key – Demonarchy, Foul Parody Of The Last Supper: More raw and fierce US-based black metal with a high quantity of devastating riffs and blasphemous lyrics not for the easily offended, in which case you shouldn’t be listening to BM in the first place. Former track available at official site.

Hex – Enlightenment, Wurm: This band features an active member (i.e. one who uses this site for more than spamming his band) of the UM community in Rob Beach, and their debut Our Synthetic Soul was released this month. Both of these tracks are impressive, especially the latter which lives up to its title with a slithering lead riff and menacing vocals. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Hybrid Freak Division – Riot, Fahrenhate: In describing this Swedish fusion trio, perhaps the best thing to do is break down the name: their music draws from several different genres (including some heavy sections on the former) without sounding incoherent…and some of the playing is decidedly freaky, especially the outstanding drumming and bass solos on the latter.

Illogicist – Knowledge Curse, Grimaces: A highly promising unsigned tech-death act and one of countless bands introduced to me after a recommendation on this site…both songs contain some manic playing and precise arrangements, and are available on the band’s official site.

In The Woods – Epitaph, Basement Corridors: Before disbanding and giving (re)birth to Green Carnation, this was one of metal’s most relentlessly experimental acts. The former track is the King Crimson classic recast in a more minimal setting and featuring female vocals, and it works. The latter track from Strange In Stereo is claustrophobic to an extreme, sounding as if it were recorded in a cave.

Insomnium – Journey Unknown, Black Waters: One of last year’s best debuts and one that brought some welcome vitality to the stagnating melodic death scene. Both of these tracks contain some powerful and direct riffs balanced with smart arrangements and an atmosphere reminiscent of early Amorphis.

Little Atlas – Faceless, Changeover: This Miami-based band is another one of the initial signings to the Progrock Records label, and a damned good one, as their sound is full of subtle complexities and a strong melodic sense, and draws from numerous influences. The latter track is a midpaced emotional song, while the former contains some nice piano work and goes through many different sections.

Mercenary – Everblack, Screaming From The Heavens: The only band on the roster I had not heard a single song from upon reading the press release…warning: This is not a typical Progpower USA act! Indeed, this Danish band is the first band with death vocals to be invited. Both of these tracks are extremely aggressive, balancing ferocious sections with some unexpected turns and progressive elements that earned them their space.

Moonsorrow – Rauniolla, Unohduksen Lapsi: On their new release Kivenkantaja (Stonebearer in English), this band takes Viking metal to epic heights. These songs are towering monuments of sound rooted in Scandinavian folk traditions, which are present in the music, particularly the nearly 14-minute former opener, which contains numerous bombastic intros, excellent choral vocals, and even folk melodies played on synth and mellotron, all before fading seamlessly into the next track, which begins as a triumphant war march. An absolute must for fans of the genre.

Naglfar – I Am Vengeance, Unleash Hell: This Swedish band’s debut Vittra is highly regarded among black metal fans, and here they return with a vengeance (pun intended) on Sheol, which has received numerous rave reviews. Both of these tracks are hard hitting and waste no time establishing their purpose, which is to pummel the listener. Former track available at www.centurymedia.com

New Machine –A Thousand Lies, Waterfront: Unsigned progressive metal act brought to my attention through Progged Radio, this is a highly competent independent release, although the name is a bit misleading as it is not very electronic sounding, although the former does have a keyboard lead, and the latter eleven-minute track relies heavily on acoustic guitar.

Ohm – Brandenburg Gate, Mountain: Chris Poland’s post-Megadeth career has been extremely sporadic, although some hold the lone Damn The Machine album to be a forgotten classic. He has now resurfaced in this fusion act, and both of these songs reveal an influence on his playing few would have suspected…could we have another Alex Skolnick-like career transformation on our hands?

Orphaned Land – Flawless Belief, The Sahara Storm: Definitely the first band from Israel I have covered in these pages. Musically, this band plays a more melodic version of black metal deeply influenced by the surrounding cultures of their homeland, as evidenced by the epic latter track, which utilizes Arabic scales and percussion to great effect.

Overkill – Unholy, Struck Down: The hardest working and most consistent band in thrash, and for the longtime fan, these songs from the latest Killbox 13 sound instantly familiar. All the classic elements are here: the razor-sharp chugging stop-start riffs (the former being a prime example, reminding me of Wrecking Crew), D.D. Verni’s frantic bass playing (which dominates the lethal latter track), and Blitz being…Blitz.

Platitude – Secrets Of Life, Raining Tears: Yet another prog/power metal act offering little in the way of originality, unless you consider having two keyboardists to be more than a gimmick. The slower latter track, available at www.metalexpress.no, is pleasant, and the band does show potential, but for now, any praise of this band is indeed platitude.

Poverty’s No Crime – State Of Greed, My Favorite Delusion: Two tracks from this underrated German progressive metal act’s extremely rare debut Symbiosis (I don’t own it, heard these through Seismic). Both of these songs are of demo quality production wise, but the band’s Rush-inspired musicianship shines through, and the former has a great acoustic interlude.

Provenance – Tearful Bitter Broken, At Arm’s Length: Jim Raggi has identified this band as his most significant musical discovery in two years. What this should mean to those unfamiliar with his newsletter is that this is incredibly dark and highly intricate music that draws from many sources, among them Anathema and My Dying Bride, but sounds highly original. The latter track is a lengthy journey into despair that suggests Anathema taking a more progressive direction…

Rapture – The Great Distance, Two Dead Names: This Finnish act, a recent CM signing, has received frequent comparisons to BMD-era Katatonia. Both of these songs rely on melodic guitar lines and carefully drawled vocals, and the latter track contains a great ending.

Redemption – Nocturnal, Something Wicked This Way Comes: Already being dismissed by some as an overindulgent vanity project, this band was a surprise on the Progpower roster, with an almost entirely different live lineup, biggest improvement being vocalist Rick Mythiasin, who distracts from the often excellent music within, replaced by Corey Brown. The latter track does contain some powerful riffs and dark atmosphere, but should not be any more than half its 24-minute plus length. Former track available at www.progpowerusa.com

Ritual – Humble Decision, What Are You Waiting For?: A recent signing to Inside Out, and an atypical one, as this Swedish prog act relies heavily on quirky arrangements with prominent use of acoustic guitar and violin. Both of these songs from their new one Think Like A Mountain contain many unexpected turns, and the latter track has an addictive chorus.

Secret Sphere – Runaway Train, 1000 Eyes Show: The first Italian metal act to be invited to Progpower USA, the band returns next month with their first album for Nuclear Blast, Scent Of Human Desire. The former track (which I have only heard in preproduction form) contains a crushing verse riff, while the latter, available at the band’s official site, scales back the bombast of their previous two albums with much success.

Derek Sherinian – Nightmare Cinema, Axis Of Evil: Following the success of last year’s Moonbabies, everyone’s second favorite former DT keyboardist returns with Black Utopia, another solo album with an extensive guest lineup. Both of these tracks are manic metallic fusion, and give the guest guitarists, among them the preeminent asshole of the shred world Yngwie Malmsteen, ample room to play their asses off…

Sirenia – At Sixes And Sevens, In Sumerian Haze: I remember reading a review of this album that stated that Morten Veland should have kept the name Tristania instead of his former bandmates…and there is some truth to that, as this album picks up where Beyond The Veil left off and is a lot more consistent than World Of Glass…

Spaced Out – Slow Gin, Spaced In: Instrumental prog quartet from Montreal whose songs range from hyperactive fusion workouts, of which both of these tracks are, check out the motion sickness inducing rhythm work on the latter track, to slower excursions. And given the band’s name, both tracks have a strong cosmic feel to them.

Leslie Spring – Ancient Signs, Sea Of Stars: Modestly billing himself on his website as the “progressive metal mastermind”, this man seems more than willing to receive potshots from the naturally skeptical. While there is nothing earth shattering on this demo, both of these songs are remarkably well arranged and produced for an indie recording, and the former has a memorable chorus.

continued:

Star Of Ash – Death Salutes Atropos, The Nudity Of Light: A project of Heidi Tveitan, best known as the wife of Ihsahn and the woman partially responsible for the universally despised Peccatum project. I haven’t heard it, so it doesn’t affect my judgement of what I’ve heard from this album. The former track, available at www.theendrecords.com, is an electronic excursion, while the latter combines a piano and string arrangement with disturbing lyrics…

Tourniquet – Where Moth & Rust Destroy, Restoring The Locust Years: This Christian thrash act has released at least seven albums from what I’ve read, none of which I am too familiar with. The seven-minute former title track from their latest, available at www.metalblade.com, has some great dynamics and a well executed solo, while the latter moves at a steady pace.

Twelfth Gate – Orpheus, Malevolent Sky: Thanks to heavy Internet promotion, this band has built up quite a buzz for their debut Summoning, and I was surprised to see the album in the featured metal section at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square…good job guys. Both of these songs remind me of my beloved Nevermore a bit…

Ulver – Lyckantropen Themes, Not Saved: In his typically unpredictable fashion, Garm has left Arcturus and contributed soundtrack work to two Norwegian short films, a song from the former album (all tracks on it are untitled) can be found at
www.theendrecords.com That makes FOUR Ulver releases between Perdition City and its proper followup, the other two being the Silence eps, the second of which includes the excellent latter track.

Visionary – God Sleeps, Words Of The Frenchman: This Utah-based band’s Strange But Familiar Shores is one of the more successful attempts at capturing some of Queensryche’s more oblique inspirations, here arriving at something resembling RFO but not sounding too derivative, particularly on the lengthy latter track, and great musicianship abounds on both…

Xen – Psycho Pilots, She Plays: Often referred to as the lost Enchant album, this is only partially correct. While every member of that band at the time (1999) appears except bassist Ed Platt, significant differences are there, mainly the fact that ex-drummer Paul Craddick does all the songwriting and the music is less progressive. Both songs find the “band” branching out while still retaining the strengths of their main project: the former has some great guitar work, while the latter has a highly resonant chorus.

Thus ends this chapter…

Thanks again for all the hard work Demon, as always, enjoy reading your opinions even if I don't agree (I think the new Soilwork destroys the new Opeth :)). I have got to check out these Twelfth Gate guys.