Jackal?

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
I have all their Cd's and just pulled this one out. What a great band that not too many people knew about. I still cannot believe that a Danish power metal band from 1992-1993 recorded this CD in northern Illinois of all places!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I note a complete and total lack of chain-saws in this band. :lol:

Sadly, Jesse James Dupree of JackYl is the most famous graduate* of my high-school in Georgia. :yow:

-=-=-=-
* I'm assuming he graduated, anyway....he was a year ahead of me

As an old fan of the band I guess I have to chime in here: forget about the boring hard rock band Jackyl, this has nothing to do with that. Instead, imagine a great mixture of Iron Maiden, Crimson Glory, Metal Church and Mercyful Fate and you've more or less got JACKAL.

The debut album "Rise" was an okay heavy metal (with cheesy hard rock lyrics) album, but not much more in my opinion.

However, the following two album, "Vague Visions" and "Safe Look In Mirrors", are classic power/heavy metal albums, that just kicks sooooo much ass! Brian Rich was on top of his game then - one of the best Bruce Dickinson sound-alikes in the world, a great frontman - and with Benny Petersen's awesome guitar playing, those two discs were something unique in my opinion.

Stuff happened internally in the band - I've heard several different stories to what exactly went down - but the matter of fact is that the band collapsed and it wasn't until recently that Brian returned with a new lineup and a new album ""IV" which honestly isn't THAT good :(

Now, for those who like the classic Jackal stuff (VV and SLIM) you might want to check out the first Narita album, which also had Brian Rich on vocals - that's probably the best Iron Maiden album that Iron Maiden never released :)

c.

...the following two album, "Vague Visions" and "Safe Look In Mirrors", are classic power/heavy metal albums, that just kicks sooooo much ass! Brian Rich was on top of his game then - one of the best Bruce Dickinson sound-alikes in the world, a great frontman - and with Benny Petersen's awesome guitar playing, those two discs were something unique in my opinion.

c.

The last time I listened to the second & thrid release was in the late 90's so based upon your comments I think I'll dig out those old CD's and revisit them. I don't remember much about them other than the fact they were nothing like the first release and I was thoroughly dissapointed with the songwriting. I agree with you about the lyrics of the first release but I've never been a lyrical snob because that's not the first thing I look for in this type of music. I'm not saying lyrics don't matter, I'm saying, (for me), they are a bonus not a requirement and I also understand I may be in the minority on that viewpoint... ;)

-KYF

As an old fan of the band I guess I have to chime in here: forget about the boring hard rock band Jackyl, this has nothing to do with that. Instead, imagine a great mixture of Iron Maiden, Crimson Glory, Metal Church and Mercyful Fate and you've more or less got JACKAL.

The debut album "Rise" was an okay heavy metal (with cheesy hard rock lyrics) album, but not much more in my opinion.

However, the following two album, "Vague Visions" and "Safe Look In Mirrors", are classic power/heavy metal albums, that just kicks sooooo much ass! Brian Rich was on top of his game then - one of the best Bruce Dickinson sound-alikes in the world, a great frontman - and with Benny Petersen's awesome guitar playing, those two discs were something unique in my opinion.

Stuff happened internally in the band - I've heard several different stories to what exactly went down - but the matter of fact is that the band collapsed and it wasn't until recently that Brian returned with a new lineup and a new album ""IV" which honestly isn't THAT good :(

Now, for those who like the classic Jackal stuff (VV and SLIM) you might want to check out the first Narita album, which also had Brian Rich on vocals - that's probably the best Iron Maiden album that Iron Maiden never released :)

c.

Hmmmmm I'll have to get a hold of that Narita album....
I was really disappointed in "IV", music was fine, but the vox were, imo, not that great... VV & SLIM are awesome cds though.:kickass:
I'd still like to know how they ended up recording VV in a Northern Illinois suburb.....:cool:

Hmmmmm I'll have to get a hold of that Narita album....

It's definitely the best of all the Narita albums. Kenny Lubcke might be a technically better singer than Brian, but the album with Brian is just sooo awesome - pure Iron Maiden worship topped by Mac Gaunaa's fantastic shredding.

I'd still like to know how they ended up recording VV in a Northern Illinois suburb.....:cool:

I'm guessing it comes down to Eric Sølvbjerg (aka Griffy), who was the bands manager and producer at that time. I think he lived there and brought the band over for the production of the disc.

c.

As an old fan of the band I guess I have to chime in here: forget about the boring hard rock band Jackyl, this has nothing to do with that.

c.

Nothing wrong with some whiskey soaked dirty southern rock, They are fantastic live though I have never bought a disc from them, lol. Though it is mainly due to the fact that they are friends with our local hard rock dj so they play here like 3 times a year it seems like.

c.

Thanks for the SLIM and Narita recommendations. I've had VV for many years and was surprised to hear that they released a new disc (IV) in 2009. You hit it on the head though. Brian isn't at the top of his game on IV and I miss his very distinctive high-end. However, given how much I like VV, IV is a very nice surprise and I like many of the songs. I've had it for a week now and can't stop spinning it. But given what you've just said, I'm very anxious to get my hands on the SLIM and Narita relases, with Brian at his peak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually picked up a couple of these from Ken Golden at one of the Powermad gigs. It came highly recommended from our very own Mr. Harveston. I still listen to them from tiime to time. I all of a sudden have a hankering for some scrapple and about 39 beers.

Cheers
Dee

I love Vague Visions, but the sound is awful. Are you considering reissuing it, or has it been reissued and you are considering buying the reissue for your collection?

I literally had to do a double take on that comment. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but WOW that is like one of the top 3 "WTF" comments I've heard in a long time! I LOVE the sound on VV. One of the big reasons I love that disc is the drums and I am a drummer. I think and always thought the sound and production is crisp and perfect. Do you maybe have it on cassette tape that wore out?