Kamelot...the Black Halo...awsome!

Yeah, Pellaz told me with glee about the Orc named "Shagrat." What I found funnier than that is that a person who claims to be staunchly anti-Christian nicked his name from the writings of Tolkien.

It is a shame how much Tolkien's works are exploited in metal. There are countless bands singing of Tolkien's glorious tales, in which only a few of them can at least do it decently. The only band I consider to have truly captured the essence of Tolkien's works is Summoning. Outside of them, I do not consider any other band to be masterful at playing music based off of Tolkein. Sure, Blind Guardian does it, but the atmosphere that is present in the books is not present within their songs at all, to my ears.

I love The Bard's Song, but I don't feel it captures the atmosphere present in the books. I'd say Blind Guardian's Tolkien sound is more comparable to the movies, whereas Summoning's atmosphere is completely parallel to the books.

Pellaz said:
Oh, wait, that's right, they write Elric-based songs instead.:confused: :worship:

I am wondering when there are going to be some L. Frank Baum-inspired power metal bands. I know that there is Mago de Oz, but I am talking about full-on Oz-metal (NOT Ozzy :loco: ).

...there should also be some Jacqueline Carey and Fritz Leiber bands, too.

Tell me more about Summoning. With a name like that, I just assumed that they were more of a black metal act.

The more I listen to this album the more it grows on me, I love the vocal melodies throughout adn the music is much more layered. And Zod its all good I respect your opinion too, it just seems as though sometimes people say their opinion like that is all there is to it, and well we know how that goes. Great album for me, right there with Karma.

Bear

Ruthven said:
Tell me more about Summoning. With a name like that, I just assumed that they were more of a black metal act.

Well, their roots are in black metal, however, they do not sound like any other black bands out there. They are one of the few bands around that have a totally unique and recognizable sound. If you're a fan of Tolkien's books I can see you enjoying Summoning, unless you cannot bear extreme vocals.

Their last two albums also have a few songs that are not based off of anything Tolkien, however, 95% of their material is Tolkien-based.

You can visit their website at http://www.summoning.info although there are no song samples available.

Bryan316 said:
Aww come on.. we know you're into that kinky S&M stuff... :devil: As they say in those rap videos... smakk dat ass!

*dodges flying objects*

Ummmmm ... "we" don't know anything punky! Dodging flying objects is a good start though ... I do tend to through heavy objects when I'm mad!!

Ruthven said:
I am wondering when there are going to be some L. Frank Baum-inspired power metal bands. I know that there is Mago de Oz, but I am talking about full-on Oz-metal (NOT Ozzy :loco: ).

If there isn't an Oz-based band called Emerald City already, someone should create one tomorrow. :)

...there should also be some Jacqueline Carey and Fritz Leiber bands, too.

"We're called Hyacinthe. We hope our show isn't too, uh, painful for you. If it is, just call out our name!"

"Ladies and gentlemen....Fafhrd and the Grey Mousers!"

Say, we need some Storm Constantine-based bands, too. (The Closets of Emily Child does not count, since they suffer from the slight drawback of being totally fictitious. :D )

Oh, BTW, Ruthven, get with me sometime about my Summoning CDs. We'll talk. :)

Bear said:
And Zod its all good I respect your opinion too, it just seems as though sometimes people say their opinion like that is all there is to it, and well we know how that goes.
I reread what I wrote, and can see why it would be perceived that way. However, it wasn't my intention.

I've also listened to the disc a few more times, and it's still not doing it for me. At least we can agree on "Stabbing the Drama".

Zod

Pellaz said:
If there isn't an Oz-based band called Emerald City already, someone should create one tomorrow. :)

They could be like Bal-Sagoth. Song titles:

"And Lo! I will send the winged monkeys to finish the job that my wolves and my killer bees did not accomplish."

or...

"Attack of the Kalidah, a beast which is half tiger and half bear, described as the most ferocious animal in the Land of Oz, yet they only appear once in the series and L. Frank Baum never mentions them again."

Oh, I am certainly not disputing Bal-Sagoth's unique approach and talent. I'm just having a little fun with their long, long song titles :)

Eternity is pretty good. Dominion is awful. I never bought another Kamelot album because I heard Conception on the Power of Metal cd & wasn't too impressed. Am I the only person who liked their first singer better....