Korg Triton Extreme: Canceled?

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I just heard from a good friend that the Triton Extreme is "discontinued". I have admired this keyboard from afar for a few years and always planned on buying one because I thought it was one of the best out there that you could get... I must have been wrong. So what's the deal with this and, in your opinion, what's the best keyboard you can grab as far as sound quality goes? :)

Tritons are fucking incredible. I had one for a while, and I prefer them to the Yamaha MOTIF's, which everyone else think are the beezneez...the Triton Extreme seemed kind of like a dumb gimmick though, just because it had that dumb tube in it....there is no way the regular Tritons cancelled, so I wouldn't worry, just get a regular one.

Well, I'd always assumed the Triton Extreme was just a bit more extreme than the regular Triton, thus it caught my interest.... Hmm, if that's true what you guys say, then it really doesn't seem so extreme. I believe I test-played a couple of these at guitar center once. One of them had weighted keys, and one of them didn't. Which one was which, if you know? And I couldn't figure out how to get to the good sounds. It's like it cycled through a bunch of drum beats or something when I played with it. You don't really get a chance to closely examine these things in the middle of the store.

Thanks >.>

Well, I'd always assumed the Triton Extreme was just a bit more extreme than the regular Triton, thus it caught my interest.... Hmm, if that's true what you guys say, then it really doesn't seem so extreme. I believe I test-played a couple of these at guitar center once. One of them had weighted keys, and one of them didn't. Which one was which, if you know? And I couldn't figure out how to get to the good sounds. It's like it cycled through a bunch of drum beats or something when I played with it. You don't really get a chance to closely examine these things in the middle of the store.

Thanks >.>

The 88 had weighted action, the rest didn't. The Extreme was a normal Triton with all the expansion slots filled and memory maxed out. That tube was an extra drive effect they added, most don't use it.

Apparently only few 88 key versions were ever made.
I've said it a few times and I'll say it again: The Extreme has the best keyboard action I've ever tried! (That's why I bought it)
The tube thing... meh..

The M3 has the same "family" of sounds as the Extreme, but the keyboard action is lousy!

I don't like keyboards with those plastic keys that feel like little slivers of plastic when you're playing... they feel too fragile... I heard my friend, the same who said that was discontinued, said he was going to get a TR.

So Korg TR uses the same sounds as the Triton?

The M3 has bad action, said vespiz...

I need to look up about this "Oasys"... This is honestly the first time I've heard about this keyboard today. My friend said something about it and I was like "Wha?" and didn't quite understand what he was talking about. So yeah, what's the deal with Oasys, is it a Korg brand too?

And would you guys say Korg is probably the best sounding thing you could get?

I don't like keyboards with those plastic keys that feel like little slivers of plastic when you're playing... they feel too fragile... I heard my friend, the same who said that was discontinued, said he was going to get a TR.

So Korg TR uses the same sounds as the Triton?

The M3 has bad action, said vespiz...

I need to look up about this "Oasys"... This is honestly the first time I've heard about this keyboard today. My friend said something about it and I was like "Wha?" and didn't quite understand what he was talking about. So yeah, what's the deal with Oasys, is it a Korg brand too?

And would you guys say Korg is probably the best sounding thing you could get?

The Oasys is Korg's top of the line workstation keyboard. Korg Oasys

The new Yamaha Motif XS has a much nicer action than any of the Korg stuff, the Triton Extreme included. That's worth a look too.

The Oasys is hideously expensive! :ill:
Not for us mere mortals.

But it must be great :)

The new Yamaha Motif XS has a much nicer action than any of the Korg stuff, the Triton Extreme included. That's worth a look too.

Have to check it out! I've never been a fan of Yamaha's on-board sounds, though.. :/

About the sounds, my feeling is that Yamaha has the most "realistic" sounds, Korg has more of these pads, weird and "synth"-type sounds going for it and Roland has an even balance, albeit the synth sounds are more aimed at the dance-oriented folks. Haven't really gotten around to play with other brands.. :(
In the end, I chose the Triton Extreme mainly because of the keyboard.

i have the triton rack and i use it with an alesis qs7 keyboard and when im using the plastic keys with synths, pads, and drums sounds it's ok, but when im am playing piano sounds it's uncomfortable for some reason.....so for that reason im looking into getting a m-audio pro 88 midi controller with the fully weighted keys to control my triton. the motif es sounds are better than the triton. but it has nothing on the oasys.