Lacuna Coil - Karmacode - listening party

I've listened to it a couple of times and like it. I can't see it replacing UNLEASHED MEMORIES, but it wasn't the total disaster that I feared.

The bass parts sound heavily influenced by Korn, but if you are going to take anything from Korn, might as well make it the bass and not the song structure or vocal style. And speaking of vocals, I am glad that Andrea Ferro was not sidelined, and, in fact, takes a large role on the album. I don't care what anyone says, I like Ferro's vocals and think they keep the band from being just another face in the crowd.

Strangely for an album of this type, right now the ballads are sticking with me the most but "Fragments of Faith" is growing on me. I have no idea why they chose "Our Truth" as the first single. I still think it sounds like half a song, or the intro to a longer song. The cover of "Enjoy the Silence" is not bad but unnecessary; it's my favorite Depeche Mode song but I wish they would have gone with something else (besides, Entwine has already recorded a pretty good cover of it).

I don't want to overpraise it or bash it at this point; I enjoy the album, and think that most Lacuna Coil fans will as well. I'll say this...if this is a blatant attempt to break through to the mainstream, they certainly succeed a lot more than many other bands who have tried.

Its just plain boring. The guitar riffs... are really plain. Just a few power chord changes. Sure... they had a metal tone. But so what? The vocals were flat. Her singing seemed fairly unemotional in many of the songs, with few pitch changes. Nothing that reached out and grabbed me. Sure I nodded my head to the music at first. But then I only continued to do so because I was falling asleep.