Last Good Album

masterworks

Mar 26, 2009
Frederick, md
Some bands break-up, or lose their ideas, or record to fill the contract.
Choose a band and their last good album
(3 or less per entry;....Bob)

Blue Oyster Cult-Revolution by night
Jethro Tull-Bennifit

mw

Some bands break-up, or lose their ideas, or record to fill the contract.
Choose a band and their last good album
(3 or less per entry;....Bob)

Blue Oyster Cult-Revolution by night
Jethro Tull-Bennifit

mw

Genesis---Wind & Wuthering & Trick of the Tail (After Gabriel & Hackett Left, so did I)All other releases sounded like All Phil Collins Solo cds) ""Crap""
J. Tull--Crest Of the knave
Supertramp---Brother where you bound
Blue Oyster Cult----Imaginos

Genesis---Wind & Wuthering & Trick of the Tail (After Gabriel & Hackett Left, so did I)All other releases sounded like All Phil Collins Solo cds) ""Crap""
J. Tull--Crest Of the knave
Supertramp---Brother where you bound
Blue Oyster Cult----Imaginos

why do I even bother?!!!

mw

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

This was a masterpiece. Even though I like The Incident and Fear of the Blank Planet/Nil Recurring, this one just strikes with a perfect blend of prog, metal, and ambient/soundscapes and some pop/rock. It's a very dynamic album (song wise), production was a bit weak but apparently there was some big issues during the recording of the album.

Dream Theater - Six Degrees (Disc 1)
This is one of my top 3 DT albums. Disc 1 is musical heaven, very experimental, heavy, and still maintaining the DT signature sound. And that's the thing I miss from DT, the experimental. I don't know how this new album will sound, but imo, they have stayed in a very comfortable writing mode.

King Crimson - The Power To Believe
I had the fortune to see them live in their 40th Anniversary tour and man, I miss them a bunch. I'm not a fan of the early stuff (mainly due to the old recordings, sounding, well...old). But everything from the 80s is very good. This particular album for me was my first introduction to King Crimson. I was shock of what I was hearing. Never heard such kind of music. My next purchase was the Eyes Wide Open DVD. :worship:I got hooked by Trey's Warr Guitar sound (own most of discography) and made TPTB even more special as I was understanding the KC sound.

Evergrey - The Inner Circle
The In Search of Truth/Recreation Day/The Inner Circle is an awesome three album run. I fully enjoy every single minute of it. The last three albums have been more or less boring, sounding very monotonous. Seems like they got very comfortable in their material with an attempt at the mainstream audience. While Glorious Collision has its good moments, Monday Morning was very bad imo. Torn, while it's ok and has some good songs on it, the production just kills the very few songs that are good.

Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight :worship:
Their last really good "consistent" album.
They fell flat on their face with Sounds That Can't Be Made.:puke:
I shelved that one permanently.

Agree....( 90125 & Big Generator ) was a joke

I actually liked some of 90125 & Big Generator.
"Hearts" & "Shoot High, Aim Low" are very good songs.
Talk had some great moments also ~ "Endless Dream".

(IMHO) :)

Ok; agreed that Yes does have two or three goods songs, per album;
but the the rest is filler, and fluff
a "last great album" is something you can listen all the way thru, and not yawn, or talk to your mother on the phone.
Cream-Wheels of Fire
ELP-Brain Salad Surgery
Hendrix-Band of Gypsies

mw

thanks for the imfo on Marillion, Sal
the ones I buy all suck

a "last great album" is something you can listen all the way thru, and not yawn,

That is tough; I don't find many albums like that.
A few:
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
IQ - Subterranea
Yes - Close To The Edge
Clepsydra - More Grains Of Sand
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here