Leviathan by Mastodon

Consuming Impulse

New Metal Member
Feb 26, 2006
Hell
g45389hxe89.jpg

After 2002's Reimission, Mastodon released it's follow up. Some people have been saying Mastodon is overatted, but most of thoes people that have said that haven't herd this album, therefore they should keep their mouths shut. Levithan is a masterpiece, and it is the Master of Puppets of this generation. Songs like Naked Burn, Megalodon, I Am Ahab etc. are very technical, and are very different from what you hear from metal today. The Musicanship is incredible, drummer Brann Dailor is one of the greatest drummers of all time. On this album Mastodon mixes jazz drumming, sludgy guitar riffs, a hit of grind, and progressive metal wich sounds a lot sounds a lot like Rush meets Meshuggah. There is no weak song on this album. The record is pure perfection and is one of the greatest albums in history. This record if you dont know is a concept record, its based on the book Moby Dick and its great concept record at that, its up there with Abigail, Operation: Mindcrime, Demanufature, etc. Here are my ratings on each song:

1 Blood and Thunder 10+
2 I Am Ahab 10+
3 Seabeast 10
4 Island 9
5 Iron Tusk 10+
6 Megalodon 10+
7 Naked Burn 10+
8 Aqua Demetia 9
9 Hearts Alive 10+
10 Joseph Merrick 10+

Overall Ratting 10+

This record is a masterpiece and i highly recommend it for every metal fan. Its an album that will never be forgotten. Buy or Die!

I agree with your review. I think Mastodon are great, sheer genius, and only getting better. Leviathan is much better that 'Remission' or 'Call of the Mastodon', in my opinion (though I've only given 'Call of the Mastodon' a few listens so far...). Mastodon have a unique sound in a genre that needs more variety.

Can't wait to see them with Slayer! Though I think it'll be a shame if they have to open for Children of Bodom (who are far worse than Mastodon, in my opinion).